Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewards News

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    I haven't heard any young people gripe about the $44 (not $99) under 18 stablehand licence. I think junior pony club annual memberships are over $100.
    It may only be my experience, the young people I've spoken with who haven't followed their family/parents into the sport pretty well always bring up the uneven playing field.
    Have never heard one of them bring up licensing, let alone $44/year being too much.
    How many tracks are free entry? Are all country cup meetings free?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Maryborough has just introduced charging, Stawell free - I think many clubs with TAB or pokies find it too difficult to charge, Horsham no longer charges and Hamilton is just a voluntary donation. If Melton, our main track does not charge - people are going to be surprised at having to pay at minor tracks. Is there a charge for the Vic Cup?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Licencing without some form of assessment is a farce, asking people to pay a fee is equally so, any registered owner is respondent to the rules of the game without having to pay a fee for the bloody right to feed and water their own stock. Asking the parents of kids you are trying to encourage into the game to fork out additional $$ on top of everything else they get slugged for to participate is sending people a message that they are really not wanted.

For legal reasons there should be an assessment, which is both verbal and practical, can be done in about 15 minutes, is recorded and from that day forward the person is a registered stable hand without a fee.

I have no idea why people are so keen to make simple things difficult if they are genuinely trying to foster and facilitate the sport.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Danno, I agree with you 100%.
    Messenger, with attendances being so low at country tracks nowadays I think it would cost more to pay someones wage to collect the payments than what would be collected. And expecting an owner to pay to see their horse race is just crazy !
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    Danno, I agree with you 100%.
    Messenger, with attendances being so low at country tracks nowadays I think it would cost more to pay someones wage to collect the payments than what would be collected. And expecting an owner to pay to see their horse race is just crazy !
    Rick, I always thought that when Horsham and Hamilton had someone on the gate - Maryborough get a bigger crowd and may even have a vol on the gate
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    If you own a horse in WA, it is free entry into any track for two people. Not sure where else that happens.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Re post #192 Pretty sure there's no charge for any Melton meeting Kev, the pokies thing.

Pat, how do they administer the free entry for two owners in WA? Send out (e)tickets to a designated owner or syndicate manager or to the trainer? Multi member syndicates only get two tickets?

I think, in part, the introduction of the harness/trots card, in Vic, was to reduce admin costs in posting out owners tickets. And like WA, it was only a few tickets.

Even in the case of syndicates, a growth area, is it too much of an extra expense to purchase a trots card? These days purchased with a club membership, starting from, I think, $25 up depending on additional benefits each club offers.
    Some might say if it's a 20 member syndicate that's 20 people who have to buy a trots card. But they're not seeing a 20th of their horse race, are they? Hopefully they'd attend other meetings as well and one card covers them for multi 1/20th's.

I don't know, I think the trot card concept is pretty reasonable and fair. If you own a horse/s on your own I think it's not too bad you buy a trot card/club membership along with a 1/20th owner.

Quite possibly, now that the trot cards are administered by the country clubs the decision to charge admittance or not may depend on the volume of trot card/membership sales for that individual club?

As for the O/WHS side of things, I'd hate to be responsible for it. Danno, is it really the administrators of a sport or industry/company that make what should be simple so hard? Isn't it the ambulance chasing lawyers?

In the scenario of the missus/life partner, who is a registered owner, feeding up Danno, quite possibly there could be an annual declaration by a trainer designating her/him for licencing purposes? I realise you have said as an owner you are bound by the rules anyway but I can see a loophole if there's no differentiation of owners.

I don't know if there is any HRV licencing where you don't have to complete an initial OHS program. You would have for your stablehand licence Rick?

If people didn't need to renew annually, in the case of licencing, how do you go several years down the track, particularly in Vic, you end up in VCAT and as an administrator you can't show you've truly asked someone to commit to current rules?

Like I've said before, it's the cheats that will use loopholes that make things so complicated and increase expenses for everyone.

Is it a problem there are two components to a stablehand licence?

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Wayne,

Any owner of the horse gets a free laminated card sent in the mail (or you can pick up) with your name on it and the season i.e 2012/13, even if their were 6-7 in the ownership syndicate. This entitled you & your partner too free entry to any course and and you could also get into the stables to see your horse or any other horse. Quite a good system, relaxed and made you feel part of it. Of course some bent the rules but generally a good system. Prior to that they had the drinks system where you got several beers at half price after presenting your ownership card, they dont use that system any more much to a few peoples distress. There is also a free weekend newspaper if you are quick enough to get your claws on one at GP.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Wayne, my forehead is sore from hitting it against the wall mate.

on another note.....one to go to prove I am a complete idiot!!

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Wayne, my forehead is sore from hitting it against the wall mate.

on another note.....one to go to prove I am a complete idiot!!

I don't think there's a rule against your missus giving you some aspirin Danno....

opportunity knocks

Pat, is that system still current? You refer to 2012/13 and past tense, so I'll have to ask...hoping it doesn't do any more damage to Danno's plaster...
    in 2017/18, any registered owner gets the passes to use at any meeting even if their horse isn't entered? The stable access you speak of meaning there is no OH&S concerns at all in WA in 2017/18?

Sorry Danno.

Closed Thread