Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewards News

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Can't recall ever using the term "hobbyist'. My point is that - too often - everybody is too willing to assume people are crooks in this business. As the Dunn case demonstrates, a professional stable has gone to great lengths to clear its name and not sully its reputation.

It is hugely disappointing to me that, when presented with credible evidence that the three horses in question had been "got at", the RIU showed little or no interest. It believed it had done its job. Just like a speed camera saves lives.

And, yes, I believe this industry has both active participants and followers who are a little to keen to eat there own. That's my opinion, you can choose to agree with me or not. I am not pointing a finger at any individuals.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I cannot blame them Trevor - we have dozens and dozens of trainers who have been suspended for trying to beat the system. But on the case you were referring to, it was of great concern that the RIU showed so little interest in investigating the Dunn's claims

I know where you are coming from in regard to speed cameras and many may wonder whether 'revenue' has become as important as safety BUT speed cameras make people slow down (I for one) and the slower you go the less you are at risk but if you disagree we will just beg to differ as it is not exactly 'harness'
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    R2 Melton, I hope Ryan Duffy will be asked what he was doing using the whip a lap out if it wasn't team driving

Nathan Jack gave his stablemate a nice cart up too but he can always say that he was going to get the 1x1 by doing so
    I finally remembered to look this stewards report up:

Ryan Duffy (Soho Crucio) was queried in relation to the tactics adopted on that filly and in particular, whether he considered taking restraint and obtaining a trail from Tiger Storm leaving the 1400m when challenged for the position outside the leader, rather than drive with aggression to maintain his position. Mr Duffy advised that while Soho Crucio had worked three wide during the initial stages the filly did so with a trail behind Soho Nolita and was not asked for any effort during this portion of the race. Mr Duffy further explained that on exposed form at Tiger Storms most recent start the filly endured a soft run on the marker pegs and felt for that reason he would be better served maintaining the position at the head of the one wide line. Mr Duffy went on to add that irrespective of this circumstance Soho Crucio proved to be extremely disappointing when beaten 74m at the conclusion of the race and never travelled as well as the filly usually does in her races. A post-race veterinary examination of Soho Crucio revealed a slower than normal recovery rate however no other abnormalities were detected. When considering the statements of the driver, and in particular taking into account the exposed form of Soho Crucio, which was indicative of the filly being able to endure some work during its races, and assessing the most recent start of Tiger Storm, stewards felt that Mr Duffy had erred to some degree by not taking a trail however, did not feel the driver’s degree of culpability warranted action being taken against his licence.

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/ste...&fromstate=vic

I still say it was simply team driving. The Stanley stable had the lead and the connections other runner was trying to make it hard for the Stewart stable to get up outside their fav
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Can't recall ever using the term "hobbyist'. My point is that - too often - everybody is too willing to assume people are crooks in this business. As the Dunn case demonstrates, a professional stable has gone to great lengths to clear its name and not sully its reputation.

It is hugely disappointing to me that, when presented with credible evidence that the three horses in question had been "got at", the RIU showed little or no interest. It believed it had done its job. Just like a speed camera saves lives.

And, yes, I believe this industry has both active participants and followers who are a little to keen to eat there own. That's my opinion, you can choose to agree with me or not. I am not pointing a finger at any individuals.
    If this might be comparing apples - take AFL as an example. I'd have no problem agreeing to the eating their own expression. Main stream media commentators, some ex players, ending a player or coach's career due to diminished performance or age. Not too self destructive for the sport, however, this player or coach may never had seen a steroid or peptide.

Myself, I don't mind giving people a chance, one positive swab conviction, ok, one suspension, ok, but not so ok if it's epo etorphine propantheline bromide...

I'm not commenting on the particulars of the Dunn case but as far as having one's reputation sullied, some may need to think about that earlier in their careers.

As Kev suggested, not helped by this type of thing - https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=37650
    ...included three previous offences in relation to prohibited substances rules
    As much as you have your opinion Trevor, there are some quarters who would feel a 12 month disqualification is too harsh for a professional.

12 months isn't a long time before a person's back. Consider those who haven't a sullied reputation. A hobbyist, owner in a pro stable, pro trainer who played by the rules, maybe, even, bar one infringement. In that time a horse/s they have has been turned out due to injury, immaturity etc. They get their horse going again and who is back on the scene? If it's around yearling sales time I can see how the lower end of the market can be hard for vendors.

My words not yours, me, being a hobbyist can feel ripped off in that income not derived from being a professional in the sport has been wasted many times over when a pro comes back from a second or third infringement to earn more income. I don't know about throwing rotten tomatoes or eating their own but it's hard to have empathy.

If there's a notion of betrayal in "eating their own", I wonder who has betrayed whom?

Going a bit further. I often wonder with Kev's odds on thread how, amongst other things, infringements continue to effect our odds. I realise they're tote odds but are the fixed odds that different for the shorties? The books and turnover are more effected by consistency of form but still, overall, the sport's reputation sullied even in the eyes of corporate bookies.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I had one Bookie tell me that harness racing in Australia has had well over 2,000 odds on favs this year with the number winning a little worse than my Vic June figure while the average price was about 20c better
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Like Our Overanova was heaving a heat where winning was not everything tonight. Stablemate won though! Why go back to last like that on the odds on pop?
    Subsequent runs show Our Overanova a clearly superior horse. Makes me sick.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Maybe I am reading it wrong, I took 'the old family house' to mean a house no longer occupied but if it is and the occupants are using Oxazepam - who knows what is possible
    The Septic has been found Guilty

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=37701
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    I know someone who had a pos to a drug and the septic was the culprit. The horses were eating the green pick when it grew.The drug was a human used one for kidney dyalasis the lady who previously owned the property had the kidney complaint.The trainer said after fencing it off the horses would walk all around trying to get into it and sweating, turns they were addicted to the drug.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    That same horse had problems in retirement too Greg
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Very interesting(Septic)

Closed Thread