Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewards News

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Paul, I just viewed the link and agree the stewards were too heavy handed in the handling of that incident. Unfortunately the trainer breached the rules, rules that he should be aware of. This is one of the rules that I think is turning young people away from our sport. The stewards should have spoke to the trainer away from his granddaughter and had him explain the situation to her. She should never have been made to feel uncomfortable or responsible for her grandfathers ignorance of the rules.
    The QLD stewards obviously need more education about dealing with minors that are accompanied by a guardian .
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    The rules need changing AND the regulators need to learn some people skills, a thoroughly ridiculous rule that means if my missus feeds the horses she part owns on our private property without a strapper's licence we are both in breach. It is a brain dead rule and any regulator policing it would earn a similar tag, a piece of paper does not provide any skills, so what is the point????? If its about keeping people safe then why rely on a simple useless piece of paper unless you are brain dead? If you are fair dinkum you come up with a simple, personal questionaire and practical assessment and keep a record of those that have successfully undertaken it. FULL STOP.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    If only things could be so simple these days Danno. Unfortunately there are those who will grab a solicitor to find, and use, any legal loophole to get out of a conviction for a plotted infringement of the rules.

The harnesslink article, on face value it does seem like more diplomacy could have been used but I'll reserve any comment until the QRIC transcript comes out.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    If only things could be so simple these days Danno. Unfortunately there are those who will grab a solicitor to find, and use, any legal loophole to get out of a conviction for a plotted infringement of the rules.

The harnesslink article, on face value it does seem like more diplomacy could have been used but I'll reserve any comment until the QRIC transcript comes out.
    Wayne things ARE that simple, if you have assessed someone as being safe around the horses and have records to prove it, then that will carry MORE weight when the lawyers roll in than the current situation where someone pays a fee and gets a "licence" to be a strapper without actually being assessed as capable.

Part of the problem is people are making decisions about how to defend themselves in law without actually having much knowledge of how the law works in practical situations. In short, they are operating on "fear" and it's amazing how many followers they get who are also operating on that emotion. Safety in numbers perhaps? or at least a false sense of safety, which is often sufficient for many people.

As for the heavy handed over reach of some regulators.....happens all the time when you give people more responsibility than they are capable of.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Wayne things ARE that simple, if you have assessed someone as being safe around the horses and have records to prove it, then that will carry MORE weight when the lawyers roll in than the current situation where someone pays a fee and gets a "licence" to be a strapper without actually being assessed as capable.

Part of the problem is people are making decisions about how to defend themselves in law without actually having much knowledge of how the law works in practical situations. In short, they are operating on "fear" and it's amazing how many followers they get who are also operating on that emotion. Safety in numbers perhaps? or at least a false sense of safety, which is often sufficient for many people.

As for the heavy handed over reach of some regulators.....happens all the time when you give people more responsibility than they are capable of.
    I wasn't particularly referring to the O/WHS perspective Dan.
    Unfortunately it's become a quagmire of health and safety and line of responsibility if a horse comes up with a positive swab.
    The fear may well be with the controlling bodies, regulators. The threat of being sued, which, when you look at it, reduces the prize money pool. I'm always fearful of that.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street

Angry

It is all absolutely ridiculous and the reason MANY young people are not getting into the sport. The only reason I pay any attention to harness racing is because as a kid, I could fastwork the horses with Dad. He couldn't afford to pay someone to help, and knew if he could get us interested early that the interest would remain. If I had needed to get a licence to drive them, feed them, gear them or lead them back then, there would be NO way I'd be on this forum right now. God, I remember a couple years after I finished pony trots that they enforced vests for pony trot drivers - going along at 15 km p/h is super dangerous everybody - "Mr Dumpling" was a killer! I understand the need now but would have quit driving if I had to buy a vest.

It was bad enough that we weren't allowed in the stable area at GP until we were 14. My brother and I would hang onto the fence closest to where our horse was stabled so we could be somewhat involved and then once he hit 14 and was allowed to go in, I'd occasionally sneak in too hoping the stewards wouldn't see me but what's funny is that if some 11 year old girl was hanging out by herself these days, her parents would be arrested. What are parents supposed to do?

It's just another way of cutting out the little trainers who only have their kids to help and sniffing out the fire from anyone who has a glimpse of interest in the sport making it just too hard and too tedious to get involved. Every time I hang out in the stable area I'm absolutely petrified some steward is going to fine me for giving our horse a pat or doing up a buckle, not being licenced or not wearing a fluorescent vest and hard hat around and and it makes it very, very crap.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    It's a sad fact that a "Stablehand Licence" is basically a W/OHS licence, forced upon the industry by government red tape. It has nothing to do with a persons physical or mental capabilities with horses. It is also used by the controlling bodies to enforce rules, giving them the ability to fine and ban people that breach rules or criticize the bodies on social media .
    Now that many tracks in Victoria don't charge an admission fee I don't see how they can justify the $99 annual fee. I think they should only be charging what it costs to administer the Licence system. A once only payment would be much fairer. Or absorb the cost themselves .
    I think that this licencing system has deterred many young people from our sport and frustrates many owner/breeders. The exact people the industry should be getting on bended knee encouraging to join or stay !
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street