Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewards News

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Exhilarator View Post
    Unfortunately in Victoria we have to put up with RAD and obviously the chairpeople have no idea about the difference between suspension and disqualification .Nothing worse than racing people who have obviously tried to gain an unfair advantage but have only been suspended when found guilty.
    G'day John. Hope Kev gives you a big warm welcome to the forum.
    Am assuming you received this today https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?u=...&id=0987f038dd the first edition of Integrity Matters

Pretty sure anyone can subscribe to the mailing list via this link https://us7.campaign-archive.com/hom...&id=761f08fcd6 so I imagine the stewards and integrity department won't mind me making the link available here and spreading the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger
    Darren Cole gets 12mths even though Mr Conder appearing for HRV stewards
    "conceded that cobalt was not performance enhancing"
    http://www.harness.org.au/NEWS/news2...20Jan%2018.pdf
    Something that may need clarifying. From Kev's link "conceded that cobalt was not performance enhancing" whereas the Integrity Matters link refers to cobalt ...can be misused and at high levels within the body acts as a Hypoxia Inducible Factor (HIF-1) stabiliser, Am not a chemist so maybe I'm missing somethng but HIF-1 does increase red blood cell numbers, hence performance enhancing hence banned?

Perhaps David, being forum member David Martin, could help sort out here please? Especially in light of Dan's post.
    Last edited by arlington; 01-25-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Will be interested to see what HRV does with Messrs. L Eastman and S Dyer following the outcome of the Police matter at Bendigo Magistrates Court.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Will be interested to see what HRV does with Messrs. L Eastman and S Dyer following the outcome of the Police matter at Bendigo Magistrates Court.
    For race fixing in Mildura, the Cramps received community orders of 200 and 300 hours, where in this case the penalty was a $20,000 fine.

Then the stewards disqualified the Cramps for 12 years.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    For race fixing in Mildura, the Cramps received community orders of 200 and 300 hours, where in this case the penalty was a $20,000 fine.

Then the stewards disqualified the Cramps for 12 years.
    Just shows what a joke the Cramp's case was when handled by the courts. There is little to compare their systematic race fixing compared to Lucked-out Larry's pathetic attempts to earn a few extra quid. The "homeless" in Swanston St Melbourne would gross more in a couple of days than Eastman masterminded.

Warned off for life from all tracks in all states in my opinion.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Just shows what a joke the Cramp's case was when handled by the courts. There is little to compare their systematic race fixing compared to Lucked-out Larry's pathetic attempts to earn a few extra quid. The "homeless" in Swanston St Melbourne would gross more in a couple of days than Eastman masterminded.

Warned off for life from all tracks in all states in my opinion.
    Trevor, you are too dismissive of Eastman's offences IMO.
    As for the homeless - I am not sure we need to throw that red herring in

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia...ictorian-races

Cashiking won the race, and the associates of Eastman won $22,110.

His associates won a combined $13,655.

As for

“The bizarre thing is that he engaged in this corrupt activity, and appears to have obtained less than $2000 out of it,”

Well that was his defence counsel and one could also add:

Eastman appears to have once been a legitimate participant

So much for 'appears'
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    It's irrelevant whether Cobalt is performance enhancing or not . It's on the banned substance list. All participants have agreed to follow the rules, if you can't then get out of the industry. If Cobalt does nothing why do people keep using it and risking suspension ?
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    It's hardly as if Eastman had been struggling to find a decent horse having won multiple group 1's in recent seasons. His problems may lie deeper as I'm pretty sure this was not the first time he has seen what the bottom of a hole looks like. It is interesting reading the licensing requirements for "B" grade licence applications and the emphasis on credit history. Many of our current trainers, including the subject, gained their licences in days when you filled out the form and paid the fee - no consideration for financial consequences was a Petrie dish for less than honest behaviours. The days of being just a good trainer (without business acumen) to achieve sustained success are behind us.

And, regardless as to how much Eastman's schemes earned him and his supporters, the Cramp's were treated lightly with community orders. I doubt that the scale of their misdemeanors have been fully disclosed, perhaps through some legal settlement.

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    It's irrelevant whether Cobalt is performance enhancing or not . It's on the banned substance list. All participants have agreed to follow the rules, if you can't then get out of the industry. If Cobalt does nothing why do people keep using it and risking suspension ?
    Agree with all you say, but I would like to see some official explanation as to how it is being administered and in what form. Feed additive? Injection? All we seem to have heard since cobalt became a headline are trainers claiming no knowledge as to how it ended up in a horses system.

Administering cobalt in bolus form to young cattle has been scientifically proven to deliver weight gains up to 6% in one year. I'd imagine there would be some benefit for growing horses, not sure about racehorses. B12 vitamin has long been used on performance horses; straight cobalt is basically a concentrate from which it is drawn.

I am sure all this has been covered elsewhere, just would love to read some official explanations. Likewise with arsenic, you can only blame treated pine posts so much.

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Hey Kev, just read the Bendigo Advertiser's full story on the Eastman case. It goes into far more detail than the Herald Sun story I based my original post Until reading the Advertiser story I was unaware of Eastman / Cramp connection. As Larry has handed in his licence I suppose all HRV can do is place a period of time before he can reapply for it again.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Hey Kev, just read the Bendigo Advertiser's full story on the Eastman case. It goes into far more detail than the Herald Sun story I based my original post Until reading the Advertiser story I was unaware of Eastman / Cramp connection. As Larry has handed in his licence I suppose all HRV can do is place a period of time before he can reapply for it again.
    From 2006
    HRV Inquiry - Larry Eastman
    02 March 2006
    Harness Racing Victoria (HRV) Stewards yesterday concluded an inquiry into the Larry Eastman-trained Ally Luvzit returning an elevated TCO2 level of 38.2 mmol/L prior to its third placing in the Angelique Club Cup at Moonee Valley on February 4, 2006.
    During the inquiry evidence was tendered by Dr John Vine, Director - Racing Analytical Services Ltd (RASL), Dr Richard Cust (HRV Veterinary Consultant) and Mr Larry Eastman, registered trainer of Ally Luvzit.
    The inquiry heard that the reserve portion of the sample was analysed by the Australian Racing Forensic Laboratory who reported a TCO2 level of 38.5 mmol/L.
    A stable sample, collected from the horse on February 9, was analysed by RASL and found to indicate a TCO2 level of 30.2 mmol/L.
    Mr Eastman conceded during the inquiry that certain aspects of his current feeding regime have subsequently caused him concern, this included introducing the use of a 48 hour pre-race saline drench supplied by his veterinary practitioner.
    After consideration of all relevant matters Mr Eastman was charged and subsequently pleaded guilty to a charge under Rule 190(1) which states; "A horse shall be presented for a race free of prohibited substances."
    In determining penalty the panel acknowledged the fact that Mr Eastman had received numerous warnings from HRV regarding his feeding regime in the weeks leading up to this race and had failed to seek appropriate veterinary advice in regard to his practices.
    However, the panel also acknowledged Mr Eastman's forthright evidence, his guilty plea, his unblemished record over 35 years and numerous references as to this standing in the harness racing industry.
    Under all the circumstances Mr Eastman was fined $10,000.
    Under the provisions of Rule 195, Ally Luvzit was disqualified from the Angelique Club Cup and the placings amended accordingly.

And this d at Launceston:
    Ally Luvzit 04-Jun-2006 LAUNCESTON LNC04060609 d $0 $25,000 xx G LANG 2698m FT MS FFA P 2:02.0
    Last edited by Adaptor; 01-27-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Closed Thread