Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember When

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    Hey Trish, my fondest memory of your father was the way he would go around the outside fence walking his horse before the start.....punters would run down to the fence and yell out, "Hey Joe can you win tonight?"......he was always honest and often said "he had no chance, or it needs the run!".....He was a beauty!
    Now he would be getting fined for talking on the track!

Yes he did do that ALL the time but It did not escape Mr Pascoe!!! The stories I could tell.............................in Dads last few months he told Mark & Myself some great stories, we looked after him & spent plenty of time with him & he loved to recall his fondest memories, we were just fortunate enough that he told us, not sure he told anyone else. One of my favourites was when he got offered Steel Trader for $25,000 . That was huge money and he grabbed a shovel and dug up an old inner tube that was tied at each end with wire . Inside was enough saturated bills to make up most of it . We had to empty a room and lay each bill out on the floor until the floor was covered and we dried it all . After Dad passed away we cleaned up and Mark found one single gum boot hanging in the shed . He asked "why would he keep one boot ". We found $2000 wrapped up in mums purse inside . We shared it out with all the workers . Times have changed and good stories don't seem to be being made these days .

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Trish, that is a precious story........and I am glad you shared it.....re the boot, he probably forgot all about it!
    I can remember one day at Granville gymkhana he brought a horse out on the track for it's preliminary, well it was pulling his arms out of the socket, and he was not happy!......he got out of the gig, took half it's gear off, then put just the bit back in its mouth and started to shake it around profusely in the horses mouth.......you could hear the rattling of its teeth, he then geared it back up.....threw the reins in the dust sheet.... and the horse walked around to the start as quiet as a mouse.
    You've got a sister, Isobel, what is she up to these days?

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Given the game away, living the good life at her little farm in Sydney, still has a few old fellas, they all won at HP. We offered her one of our horses to train & you wouldn't believe it, her answer was not very lady like!!!!

Cyril Caffin was amazed . He always talked about the time Dad took 4 horses to Bankstown and only had one set of hopples . He would gear the first one up then put a twist in the hopples or untwist them . The four raced without undoing a buckle on the hopples . He was slated by the Stewards at Penrith one night because the horses had sand over them after a swim . He just said "if that's the worst thing I've done , you can go to buggery . They all won
    Last edited by trish; 10-10-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    He was the best straight shooter there was!
    I nearly had a massive collect at Harold Park one night, I think it was the 1st race, dad had a horse called HUGHAVA, it had been trialling well, I think it was an old crock at this time........and he was a good stand starter, it's price was somewhere between 80/1 & 125/1.....I kept going around the ring having $10 & $20 each-way, in the main ring, the strip and even over in the ledger...........I think I had about $400 each-way just before they jumped........well dad led all the way, but got nutted a nose on the line by the favourite, I think it was one of those "Becky" horses from the Hancock stable...............I still got a nice return, but only if!
    My memory sometimes fails me, Nuts & Bolts was it one of dad's, it raced at the old Parramatta track if I'm right?

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    G'day Steve,
    not answering for Trish but " Nuts and Bolts" was a great horse for Joe, he was one of the earliest winners of the Maitland Inter-City Pace when some truly great horses won it, Joe also had Michael Frost who just got nutted on the line in the final a couple of years later,and then ended the winning sequence of San Simeon in a heat of the interdominion in Hobart a little later, "nuts and bolts" also won a Newcastle Cup if my memory serves me correctly. Either way he was a great horse and a good looker too, black and fast, a terrific horse.

Junior Member Foal hbintl will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Barry Collier
    Hi. I'm the "guy" trish has been pinching the pics from off twitter. Im glad you are all enjoying them. Regards

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Good on you Barry, they are great! They bring back lot's of memories!

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Nuts & Bolts , the story goes that he was born in a wrecking yard.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by hbintl View Post
    Hi. I'm the "guy" trish has been pinching the pics from off twitter. Im glad you are all enjoying them. Regards
    Welcome Barry, I think you should give your twitter link a plug
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Thanks very much Barry, Great to see these photo's all these years later.

+ Reply to Thread