Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember When

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley

Harness racing at the RAS Show in Sydney.

Real Name
    patricia ilsley

Teeny Rena & Brian Hancock parading at Harold Park in 1969

Real Name
    patricia ilsley

And of cause this one had to go in.

Michael Frost & Joe Ilsley winning the 1978 Lord Mayors Cup @ Harold Park
    Last edited by trish; 09-18-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Just love these old photo's Trish.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    The great Michael Frost!!! ended the 26 (please correct me if I'm wrong) winning streak of the superstar " San Simeon"

thanks trish all those pics brought back some wonderful memories of some wonderful times!!

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Yea they are great guys but just remember I'm pinching them from Barry but I still reckon they are too great not to share.

Real Name
    patricia ilsley

Fettle defeating Gentleman John & Sibelia in a Harold Park 1000 pound invitation.

Member Filly allanjg will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    allan gee
    just wondering,how much would you have to pay to get into that meeting at wayville in 1947,i was only 1 year old then...

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by allanjg View Post
    just wondering,how much would you have to pay to get into that meeting at wayville in 1947,i was only 1 year old then...
    Lookout Trish, This is a loaded question lol. I can vaguely remember the old currency.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Those who are looking for information relating to horses, drivers etc from days gone by might be able to locate it at some of these websites where you can view copies of old papers online.

Trove - http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper - here you can search and view a variety of old newspapers from across Australia. The Canberra Times (up to 1995) and Melbourne Argus (to 1957) will give you plenty of stories and results, plus the fields for trots meetings. The search facility is quite good.

Melbourne Age - http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=MDQ-9Oe3GGUC - search function can be hit or miss so it is handy if you know dates! Some copies are missing, mainly Saturday issues but you can view them up to around 1989. Same with the Sydney Morning Herald - http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=lL5f5cZgq8MC

The Trove site is part of a government Newspaper Digitization Plan. Apparently it is quite expensive to make digital copies of old newspapers but local groups are doing small town newspapers bit by bit. I see they are shortly going to upload copies of the Melbourne Sporting Globe up to 1954, so this will mean access to plenty of material from the early era of the Melb Showgrounds.

+ Reply to Thread