Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Judgement and no action

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin

Poor Judgement and no action

I have waited until the stewards report was released before posting here.

My concern is when is a driver held responsible for poor judgement in the stewards eyes.
    Most punters and harness followers would know that Reservation Road in the 2nd last at Menangle on Saturday night was either a superstar or had no chance after a 25.8 first quarter. This is after in the previous race the same driver drive Suave Stuey Lombo in an outstanding 1.50.1 with a lead time of 26.9.
    The stewards report is gutless, it reads

"When questioned regarding the performance of RESERVATION ROAD NZ driver L Panella explained that although she had to make use of the gelding in the first quarter t find the lead she was able to rate a slow middle half of the mile. L Panella stated that connections were disappointed that RESERVATION ROAD did not finish the race off and would assess how the gelding recovers prior to deciding its immediate program."

The Connections were disappointed what an understatement and the stewards accepted this!!!

In the same race a driver was fined $400 for excessive whip....go figure

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I wonder if she has any idea of how fast she is going?
    And if the stewards asked her "what did you think you ran that first Q in?"
    If she said about 26 she probably should have received some sort of fine/penalty
    She had already had a FFAller capitulate in the first after going a first Q of 26.6
    So it added up that going any faster in an M0 was not good judgement
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    What's the difference in driving an ill-judged race:
    Not pulling out and putting a horse into the race?
    Going too fast early in early quarters, horse doesn't run on?
    Both fail to give a horse every chance to win.

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by Race For Fun View Post
    What's the difference in driving an ill-judged race:
    Not pulling out and putting a horse into the race?
    Going too fast early in early quarters, horse doesn't run on?
    Both fail to give a horse every chance to win.
    That's how I see it as well. Obviously the stewards don't.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post

My concern is when is a driver held responsible for poor judgement in the stewards eyes.
    Most punters and harness followers would know that Reservation Road in the 2nd last at Menangle on Saturday night was either a superstar or had no chance after a 25.8 first quarter. This is after in the previous race the same driver drive Suave Stuey Lombo in an outstanding 1.50.1 with a lead time of 26.9.

"When questioned regarding the performance of RESERVATION ROAD NZ driver L Panella explained that although she had to make use of the gelding in the first quarter t find the lead she was able to rate a slow middle half of the mile. L Panella stated that connections were disappointed that RESERVATION ROAD did not finish the race off and would assess how the gelding recovers prior to deciding its immediate program."

The Connections were disappointed what an understatement and the stewards accepted this!!!

VVV- I've watched a lot of races over a lot of years and right now, off the top of my head I cannot think of so much as A SINGLE HORSE, be it Southern Hemisphere or Northern Hemisphere, that made it to the 1/4 in 25.8 (25 & 4/5ths) on the lead and lived to tell the story.

Real Name
    bailey martin
    VVV, the great Smoken Up went 25.7 on the way to his 1.48.5 at Menangle.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Is he one of yours Adam - Trots TV is not as clear as it used to be and I could not tell if they were the monkey colours

Lauren did not hammer in all of them but she led in all of the first 7 races.
    She won 2 and got 1 second but finished last or 2nd last in the other 4
    Last edited by Messenger; 09-23-2014 at 10:33 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    VVV, the great Smoken Up went 25.7 on the way to his 1.48.5 at Menangle.
    If a horse the quality of Smoken Up is capable of running 25.7 for the first quarter and going on to win a group 1 race against some of the best horses racing at the time then it may be safe to assume that a horse the class of Reservation Road was always going to struggle to stay competitive running such a fast first quarter. Drivers have to know the ability of the horse they are driving.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    The girl cannot judge pace at all period.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Member Gelding Sofoulis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Sofoulis
    Occupation
    Pen pusher
    Horses
    Yayas Hot Spot, Eh Ef El, Summertime Liz
    Hi Kevin.

Reservation Road isn't one of mine, no. Lauren did drive and lead on one of mine... it ran 2nd (the horse that was mentioned in a previous thread where a share is held by some first time owners arising out of a charity quiz night).

The girl that "cannot judge pace at all":
    - 160 metro drives for 49 winners and 103 in the top 4...
    - 417 drives in NSW for 147 winners and 290 in the top 4...
    Leading driver in NSW at the moment...

I don't think you are insulting her, but you are insulting every other driver that is competing with her...... fancy not being able to judge pace but still being so competitive against her peers...

I'm not defending the drive on Reservation Road because if I was the connection, i may have been disappointed in the drive... but this is one drive against a very good strike rate. I will continue to ask Lauren to drive my horses because I see through the occassional disappointing drive to the majority of very very good drives...
    Last edited by Sofoulis; 09-24-2014 at 02:52 AM. Reason: clarify

+ Reply to Thread