Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Revamp of Truer Memorial

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson

Revamp of Truer Memorial

http://www.harnesslink.com/News/Treur-Memorial-changes

When I first read this I was not sure about the merits of changing this race, but after thinking it over I think this change has real possibilities.

I understand that the club is still deciding on the exact conditions for the race but they are thinking maybe M2-M4 (up and coming horses). If the race was was programed something along the lines of:

4 year old and up M2-M4 (may need to be M1 front)
    For horses that have not contested an open class group 1 race (age group 1 races would not be counted). Preference given to younger up and coming horses. Final makeup of field to be at the clubs discretion.
    With prizemoney of around $100,000 maybe it could be a lead up race for other group races???
    It could be invitation only, which usually adds some spice to things.
    I like the 2540 metres longer distance, makes them earn the bigger dollars.

A group 1 race with the "next generation" on a half mile track, no sprint lane, two rows on the mobile (6 and 4) 2540 metres $100,000 prizemoney.

Standing start would be too much of an ask (too many whingers).

I think that this type of race has some merit, what does everyone else think?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    My thoughts followed your pattern too Toni.
    I think it has to keep some prestige and be M2 min.
    I don't know about invitation only - maybe panel selection after nominations (any horse likely to accept an invitation would have nominated)
    The longer distance on a small track gives drivers a chance to show some initiative
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Another option could be to change to conditions to make a 4yo/5yo only event PBD/sex/c.

Then work with HRNSW and a couple of the country clubs (Bathurst & Goulburn or Wagga) to have a feature race each of $30/$40k on the 2 prior weekends which the winner is guaranteed a start/exempt from ballot in the Truer.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Another option could be to change to conditions to make a 4yo/5yo only event PBD/sex/c.

Then work with HRNSW and a couple of the country clubs (Bathurst & Goulburn or Wagga) to have a feature race each of $30/$40k on the 2 prior weekends which the winner is guaranteed a start/exempt from ballot in the Truer.
    Great idea Mitch!!

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post

If it's a group 1 race I don't think there should be any PBD/Sex/C. If going for $100,000 (that's good $) one in all in I say otherwise it's not a true fair race, no let up for anyone just get out there and earn it IMHO. Heats make it a bit like The Carousel. I was thinking more like a stand alone race. If the age is restricted it cuts out any good late starters. Just my opinion.

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Quote Originally Posted by Race For Fun View Post
    If it's a group 1 race I don't think there should be any PBD/Sex/C. If going for $100,000 (that's good $) one in all in I say otherwise it's not a true fair race, no let up for anyone just get out there and earn it IMHO. Heats make it a bit like The Carousel. I was thinking more like a stand alone race. If the age is restricted it cuts out any good late starters. Just my opinion.
    Yep fair point re PBD/sex/c.

+ Reply to Thread