Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should we change our racing season to a calendar year?

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Thanks Noel, Very interesting discussion and quite a few positives but as the Panel stated, We would need all of the states and NZ to get on board.
    This was raised for discussion last night at the HRV Consultitive meeting at Shepparton. The breeding season would stay the same but the racing season would change from January 1 to December 31. There are scheduling problems with the Breeders Crown. It is too close to the Vicbred Sires Finals and IMO this years attendance at the BC was very disappointing. The weather in August does not help . If it was to be held in the warmer months ( say Nov ) attendance would pick up and HRV could build a carnival around the event. This initiative obviously needs further discussion but provides a win/win situation on many fronts with the opportunity to review current programming.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    G'day Anne,

I take it that we would be racing 3YOs in November for 2YO finals?, please don't get me wrong here, I am not a fan of Juvenile racing of the degree we currently have in this country, but if that is the case then the problem ( in my mind) snowballs to the point where we are lucky if maintain any credibility with our peers.

I have never been a fan of 2 yo racing and have witnessed in my 47 years involvement in the game continued pressures from certain breeders to further extend the availability of racing for 2 yos....like it or not, I see this as a move to do quite the same thing, which in my humble opinion is yet another nail in the coffin of this great game in the name of making someone's bank balance appear more healthy (in the short term)

cheers,
    Dan

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    An interesting debate.There are so many sides to it.

I too cannot really get my head around the idea of basically considering a 3yo still a 2yo in November so then I thought we could just accept that it is a 3yo event so leave the year as is and call it an early 3yo event.

I also appreciate Dan's point about not wanting to push juveniles and what I have suggested above as an alternative is in the main still going to attract horses that were up and running in their 2yo season nevertheless they may not be quite as rushed. Unfortunately it would seem that we do have to balance the welfare issue with attracting owners which in itself requires balancing patience.

My preference however would be to leave the season as is but completely upend the prizemoney allocation for the various age groups in the Crown. This yr the 2yo's was worth $288k and the 3yo's $174k. I would consider making the 3yo's worth $300k+ and the 2yo's $150k (and making the 4yo's races worth even more than they are now)

I am interested in the issue of timing as I thought the end of August good for not clashing with any other sports major events

Getting off the point a little - in my submission on the HRV strategy plan, I am suggesting a set date race (which of our Big races I will leave for others to decide) that can be marketed as our equivalent of The Melbourne Cup and I even thought the last Sunday in August may not be a bad date. It is lofty stuff, I know, but it seems to me that most people that follow harness, do so because they were introduced to it/went at a youngish age (something else I tackle in my submission) whereas a huge % of the population take an interest in the gallops without having gone as kids ALL because of The Cup (and its government, media, ... support) - it is a holiday, we went in sweeps etc etc. I think it will take decades but we have to aim at coming as close to this phenomena as we can. I do not think the rotating Inter can do this

I do not want to distract from the 'season debate' so I am going to put the 'black' part above in the HRV strategic plan thread too so if you want to help me refine it please post any replies to the black part of this post in the following thread instead

http://www.harnessracingforum.com/sh...e-until-Sep-30
    Last edited by Messenger; 09-24-2015 at 07:06 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Mark Croatto will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark croatto
    "I also appreciate Dan's point about not wanting to push juveniles and what I have suggested above as an alternative is in the main still going to attract horses that were up and running in their 2yo season nevertheless they may not be quite as rushed. Unfortunately it would seem that we do have to balance the welfare issue with attracting owners which in itself requires balancing patience."

I'm at a loss to understand why you folk think it would be pushing a 2yo if changes were made as suggested. It is quite clear the breeding season will remain as it is (commencing September 1), and as it happens now, foals will be born any time from late September until early January, most however coming into the world between October and early November. The suggestion, if I understand it correctly, is that whilst they may already be a few months old their age won't commence until the 1st January after their birth. If it isn't that way then that is the way it should be. In this way most of these foals will actually be 26 to 27 months old when they officially turn 2, a far better proposition than what we presently have when see horses classified as 2 when they are actually anything between 20 and 22 months old.

I really don't have a problem with this as primarily it is to the foals' advantage. Additionally, it allows for far better programming of our racing season in that we can take full advantage of the better weather months rather than the system we have now where our best juvenile racing is conducted between June and August. Don't forget, New Zealand bred horses are technically 3 when they contest the 2yo Breeders Crown and that's never been a problem.

Regards

Mark

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think we understood the proposal Mark but the only difference will be a month or two. At present I don't think 2yo racing starts until December so instead it will start in Jan (1 month diff) and at present the Crown is held on the last day of Aug and the proposal seems to be to run it in November so say 2-3mths diff. Sometimes I think it comes down to your feelings on whether 2yo racing should be rated so highly when all horses are never going to be up and going
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Croatto View Post
    "I also appreciate Dan's point about not wanting to push juveniles and what I have suggested above as an alternative is in the main still going to attract horses that were up and running in their 2yo season nevertheless they may not be quite as rushed. Unfortunately it would seem that we do have to balance the welfare issue with attracting owners which in itself requires balancing patience."

I'm at a loss to understand why you folk think it would be pushing a 2yo if changes were made as suggested. It is quite clear the breeding season will remain as it is (commencing September 1), and as it happens now, foals will be born any time from late September until early January, most however coming into the world between October and early November. The suggestion, if I understand it correctly, is that whilst they may already be a few months old their age won't commence until the 1st January after their birth. If it isn't that way then that is the way it should be. In this way most of these foals will actually be 26 to 27 months old when they officially turn 2, a far better proposition than what we presently have when see horses classified as 2 when they are actually anything between 20 and 22 months old.

I really don't have a problem with this as primarily it is to the foals' advantage. Additionally, it allows for far better programming of our racing season in that we can take full advantage of the better weather months rather than the system we have now where our best juvenile racing is conducted between June and August. Don't forget, New Zealand bred horses are technically 3 when they contest the 2yo Breeders Crown and that's never been a problem.

Regards

Mark
    +1.... Totally agree with every point you've mentioned Mark but we would need all of our states and NZ to come on board with this change, If the change did come about yes, We could have the Breeders Crown run later in the year, Maybe if it was run around Melbourne Cup time we could take advantage of the extra people in town that have come to watch the great race.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    I think some of us are forgetting what will happen to the young horse that is competitive in the feature races that would then be strung out over a longer racing season under this proposal, it's really a bit too simplistic to say they are a bit older than two so they will handle it better, what about the fact they will be kept in a racing preparation for longer? What about the horse that is not a genuine 2yo but is kept going because he might pick plums later in the season?

As usual the debate is about racing and not about the best long term prospects of the horse.

+ Reply to Thread