Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Classic Families

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Classic Families

We often assume everyone has found what we have found but often that is not the case
    If you come across a fantastic site post it here and maybe outline its strengths

I will start it off with

http://classicfamilies.net/

This site is an Aus/NZ (anywhere!) breeders dream
    It is like Ian Daff's Black Bk and much more for the technological age

Favourite features are:
    The TAIL LINES and DESCENDANTS tabs/features on the Horse Info pedigrees
    After you have found your horse of interest and noted his family number
    click on the FAMILY WINNERS tab (or open the site a second time) and enter the family number

Any one interested in a few tricks I use when enjoying this site just ask me
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    I'm with you Kev, Classic Families is an absolute must for any breeder. A particular American family that I really like is the (U2) Minnehaha tribe, I sat down one night and added up the number of 1.50 performers from this family and was amazed that there were more than 100, This is just staggering.

Member Yearling astoevelaar will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Arjuna Stoevelaar
    Hi Boys. I have started breeding a few mares with a mate and trying to learn a lot in a short space of time. I came across the Classic Families page after reading through the modern influences on siring through the Peppertree site. I have enjoyed using the classicfamilies to look over the family of my mares. The question I want to ask is how do breeders use the knowledge of the families in selecting sires. Currently I have looked at the classic winners in the family to look at possible future breeding directions or to isolate patterns, however im curious if anyone else has a different way to interpret or view the information. I hope this makes sense.

Real Name
    Arjuna Stoevelaar
    http://b4breeding.com/ I'd say everyone knows this site but I get a huge deal out of reading this blog. Really enjoy the expertise but also the subtle variances in how NZ breeders produce the champions that they do as opposed to the Australian breeders I talk to and how they select stallions.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by astoevelaar View Post
    Hi Boys. I have started breeding a few mares with a mate and trying to learn a lot in a short space of time. I came across the Classic Families page after reading through the modern influences on siring through the Peppertree site. I have enjoyed using the classicfamilies to look over the family of my mares. The question I want to ask is how do breeders use the knowledge of the families in selecting sires. Currently I have looked at the classic winners in the family to look at possible future breeding directions or to isolate patterns, however im curious if anyone else has a different way to interpret or view the information. I hope this makes sense.
    That is one HUGE question Arjuna

Many of us like looking for patterns (what has worked in the past) and possible Golden Crosses but in time you probably has to form your own opinions on line breeding, X factor, breeding to type etc etc

Hopefully the experts (and there are some around here) - may have some suggestions for you

One thing that sticks with me from my reading is the basic theories of the US thoroughbred writer from long ago, Joe Estes
    He maintained that the biggest factors in whether your mare will producer a classic winner (and he believed that it is not worth trying to do anything less) are
    - What your mare has already foaled (if that has happened)
    - The racing ability of your mare

Good luck Arjuna
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Arjuna Stoevelaar
    Thanks for your reply Kevin. That's one of those tough things for new breeders. Those that have developed a line over a long time have had an opportunity to talk to trainers about deficiencies in their mares and subsequent foals and able to improve their breeding over time. I purchased a few mares at a dispersal sale based on future potential, young mares who haven't thrown many but from strong families of proven performers. I guess you can't circumvent knowledge build up over time when breeding. I started a spread sheet with all the current stallions based on their paternal limes to help me look at patterns. It links back to Abercrombie, Cam fella, Direct Scooter, Falcon Seelster, Western Hanover and starting to write some notes about what different lines provide to your breeding lines. I guess its the reason I enjoy reading Bee and Kym because its the best information I can get on the subject. I wish that someone would produce a book on each stallion in terms of traits they pass down to their foals, I'm sure new breeders would pay any money for this knowledge. At the moment I am somewhere between trying to determine what is most important A) The number of tesio hits with line breeding. B) The temperament and success of the mare C) Classic families going back to what has been proven to be successful D) How successful the stallion has been. E) Environmental factors for the foals growth. The joys of breeding hey!

+ Reply to Thread