Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people walking away from harness racing?

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    The horse is in again tonight at Newcastle

OUR ORVILLE NZ

Form: 8 4 4 2 1

LD Leader
    $1.20 Joined the Tritton stable last week and went like a jet in winning here on Friday. If he repeats that effort he will win again.
    And what do the stewards do if it misfires tonight?

Hope for the games sake it fires the same as last week..

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    The race results "stewards comments" now has QIP where it didn't previously... still waiting for the full report.
    and what possible excuse could there be for 5 days passing and still no stewards report = SLACK
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    and what possible excuse could there be for 5 days passing and still no stewards report = SLACK
    Not too defend stewards, just bring a bit of balance back into it, but two of those days were weekends plus the public holiday on Monday.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Not too defend stewards, just bring a bit of balance back into it, but two of those days were weekends plus the public holiday on Monday.
    No balance required Breno - the reports for 4 NSW meetings held since then have been posted
    Last edited by Messenger; 10-08-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    I'd imagine race 5 at Newcastle tonight would fit into the miraculous training feats?? I did the form earlier today and was staggered to see B365 opened the 11 @ $1.60. His recent form & trials were pretty (no, very) average. Anyhow, he just death seated, went 28.6 second qtr, 29- down the back and then pulled away from the rest. I bow to the better judgment of those @ B365.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by Race For Fun View Post
    And what do the stewards do if it misfires tonight?

Hope for the games sake it fires the same as last week..

It didn't misfire.

Member Gelding Sofoulis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Sofoulis
    Occupation
    Pen pusher
    Horses
    Yayas Hot Spot, Eh Ef El, Summertime Liz
    I have no interest in the horse (Our Orville) but did watch the replay of today's race and noted it hummed the gate and tried to lead... stuck in the breeze for the remainder of the race as #5 (horse: Norman Charles) wanted to hold the lead...

Went past #5 down the backstraight and ended up winning in a smart time once again.

Just for the record, the previous trainer (Dean Chapple) has said on FB that on Monday the horse was running "30 quarters all day" for him at Tamworth and in his reckoning, that approximates 29s quarters at Newcastle... adding that up... 1.56 mile rate... it then goes to the Tritton's stable, gets a few minor gear changes and a driver we all know adds a few lengths to them in front...... and backs it up the week later with a similar mile rate.......

Just for the record too: the #5 horse was also in Our Orville's race last week and was beaten 40 odd metres (it was admitedly 3 wide for a duration). Today it went forward and held out a $1.30 favourite, the very same horse that beat it last week and went hard the whole race...........

Maybe the tactics on that horse needs questioning because in my view it was not given every chance this week by holding out the $1.3 favourite........ (it finished last today beaten 35m... I guess the argument would be that it improved because it was 5 metres closer to the winner!?)

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    I guess if you looked at the situation wholistically, mathmatically, scientifically and most importantly objectively you might still have some questions, but then again you might not! I started this thread because I have issues with concessions being used accumulatively and I also thought it was an astounding form improvement considering the horse had changed stables ( and presumably his/her Physical environment) only a handful of days before...was my question completely random?, no of course is wasn't, because the stable that trained the horse on the night in question has a well established record for improving horses quite significantly, quite often in a short space of time and has ( like it or not) many people scratching their heads.

can't agree with your diagnosis Adam, I think as stated earlier in my post, one needs to look more wholistically, rather than just a couple of recent runs/tactics.

cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofoulis View Post
    I have no interest in the horse (Our Orville) but did watch the replay of today's race and noted it hummed the gate and tried to lead... stuck in the breeze for the remainder of the race as #5 (horse: Norman Charles) wanted to hold the lead...

Went past #5 down the backstraight and ended up winning in a smart time once again.

Just for the record, the previous trainer (Dean Chapple) has said on FB that on Monday the horse was running "30 quarters all day" for him at Tamworth and in his reckoning, that approximates 29s quarters at Newcastle... adding that up... 1.56 mile rate... it then goes to the Tritton's stable, gets a few minor gear changes and a driver we all know adds a few lengths to them in front...... and backs it up the week later with a similar mile rate.......

Just for the record too: the #5 horse was also in Our Orville's race last week and was beaten 40 odd metres (it was admitedly 3 wide for a duration). Today it went forward and held out a $1.30 favourite, the very same horse that beat it last week and went hard the whole race...........

Maybe the tactics on that horse needs questioning because in my view it was not given every chance this week by holding out the $1.3 favourite........ (it finished last today beaten 35m... I guess the argument would be that it improved because it was 5 metres closer to the winner!?)
    Many have done their money saying "take off a second for this track and a second for being one off the fence". Fully agree driver of the 5 should be asked to explain the drive but if the drivers reason for holding the lead goes along the line of "although he had run a fast first quarter and the horse can be difficult to drive it was not in the best interests of the horse to pull back".........

As long as all "up side down drives are treated the same.

Horse might get stood down.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,

Adam, I have read some of your comments in the past, and believe they have been an accurate portrayal of discussions on these posts...........BUT, I cannot have that this horse has not improved in the short period of time with it's new trainer/driver combo.......In it's last 12 or so runs in the past 18 months at Newcastle it is lucky to have broken 2 minutes!!! The horse was not hopeless with the previous trainer, but often had some bad luck in races with getting a check and gear problems etc, but in general, it had not performed to the 1:55-57 mile rate during an actual race. It has improved significantly, and is racing stronger to the line than previously! This has been just one of many improved horses, and I salute the trainer for his ability to do this!
    I think there will be a traffic jam outside his property tomorrow morning with horses being delivered from everywhere!
    I put Shane in the "Chris Waller" category of trainers, it is great to see this happening, I hope people get right behind him!
    I watched his interview on Trots TV with Dale Walker..... a great interview, and Shane was so honest I could not believe it.....he is obviously intelligent, but a good person to go with it!

+ Reply to Thread