Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Why are people walking away from harness racing?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    As per usual when Spring comes around I have been watching 7's coverage of the gallops.
    It looks bloody fantastic
    The only way you can make racing look that 'fantastic' is to have those sort of hours of coverage -
    In order to tell the personality & horse stories, show each of the horses 'close up' in the mounting/parade yard, have fantastic camera work, detailed analysis etc etc
    Even if we have to mortgage Melton and Menangle we have to get that sort of coverage at least for the MM, Inter, Breeders Crown, Hunter-Vic Cup
    And advertise it to the hilt with some big names fronting it - to get converts

Maybe the Perth Million dollar Inters can be the start. We have to start now with finding the right big name personalities to front it (along with the most presentable of our real experts) - there must be some with some link that we can develop even a general interest in racing would be a start. Then we spend whatever it costs to have it uninterrupted on 7Two
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt The Escape Club will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Robert Salathiel
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    As per usual when Spring comes around I have been watching 7's coverage of the gallops.
    It looks bloody fantastic
    The only way you can make racing look that 'fantastic' is to have those sort of hours of coverage -
    In order to tell the personality & horse stories, show each of the horses 'close up' in the mounting/parade yard, have fantastic camera work, detailed analysis etc etc
    Even if we have to mortgage Melton and Menangle we have to get that sort of coverage at least for the MM, Inter, Breeders Crown, Hunter-Vic Cup
    And advertise it to the hilt with some big names fronting it - to get converts

Maybe the Perth Million dollar Inters can be the start. We have to start now with finding the right big name personalities to front it (along with the most presentable of our real experts) - there must be some with some link that we can develop even a general interest in racing would be a start. Then we spend whatever it costs to have it uninterrupted on 7Two

I agree. Sky do a pretty good job but in the lead up to the big races they're still having to squeeze it in between races elsewhere.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by The Escape Club View Post
    I agree. Sky do a pretty good job but in the lead up to the big races they're still having to squeeze it in between races elsewhere.
    We have to improve the camera work too Rob. Even though 7 is just standard definition like Sky, it looks so much better - maybe it is the quality of the cameras
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Although some don't like him Bruce McAvaney is the human encyclopaedia on sport and I am sure still takes an interest in the trots. When I worked at HRW we posted him a copy each week so am sure he would still be across the sport and would be an ideal "anchor"

A guy like Terry McAulliffe has also "crossed over" to the general network coverage of sport by way of calling athletics on TV, as has Peter Donegan, and both are racing men at heart.

Dan Mielicki too of course worked for the 10 network as a sports reporter for several years so the point is there are plenty of talented professionals to choose from who have a walk up start of the nuts and bolts of our sport!

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    Probably the main reason people are walking away from the sport was highlighted last night at Swan hill 7 short priced favs winning no value for the average punter and thats what it is about value.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post
    Although some don't like him Bruce McAvaney is the human encyclopaedia on sport and I am sure still takes an interest in the trots. When I worked at HRW we posted him a copy each week so am sure he would still be across the sport and would be an ideal "anchor"

A guy like Terry McAulliffe has also "crossed over" to the general network coverage of sport by way of calling athletics on TV, as has Peter Donegan, and both are racing men at heart.

Dan Mielicki too of course worked for the 10 network as a sports reporter for several years so the point is there are plenty of talented professionals to choose from who have a walk up start of the nuts and bolts of our sport!
    I thought of Bruce too Kyle as he has a profile and you would only need one current popular sidekick along with our best to pull it off
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A bit of stretch there I reckon Brian

$3.90, $3.20, $1.70, $2.20, $2.00, $1.90, $1.20, $1.10, $1.20, $5.70

There are probably only 3 races there where the long odds on pops may have affected the pools and you will always have 1 race like that.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    7 winners there too short for me to back and i would say most average punters

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill

+ Reply to Thread