Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Things are changing

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin

Things are changing

It doesn't seem that long ago that D. Binskin was in trouble with stewards for laying back in the cart American Style. Now young T. McCarthy and others seem to have got the green light to drive that way. Must work as he's on fire.

Also the use of the foot to release the plugs would also cost a driver in the stewards room but also now seems to be ok.

Anyone know if both are approved?

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Cant tell you for sure Bailey but they have to use their feet, cos there's so many things to "pull and push" 2 hands are def not enough. Gotta remind myself not to get started on this topic...

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    should be banned leaning back, could cost the horse behind half a length extra to run down that horse............maybe he should move his seat forward half a length to make sure all is fair!

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    should be banned leaning back, could cost the horse behind half a length extra to run down that horse............maybe he should move his seat forward half a length to make sure all is fair!
    Interesting comment, could that also see a fellow driver pushing off the fence and not being use to someone lean back that far, make contact with the driver leaning back.
    I would not like to a high stepper behind me.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    The other point of conjecture is drivers not being up on the gate at the start trying to get the run up "fly" at the start, especially when there is a horse drawn directly behind that runner......if it is a slow beginner it can cost it an extra spot in the run.........I thought drivers were all supposed to be up on the gate prior to the start?

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    The other point of conjecture is drivers not being up on the gate at the start trying to get the run up "fly" at the start, especially when there is a horse drawn directly behind that runner......if it is a slow beginner it can cost it an extra spot in the run.........I thought drivers were all supposed to be up on the gate prior to the start?
    Totally agree with this Steve. If a horse fails to fully fill its position on the gate at the start the stewards have the driver in and want to know why, but if you are behind some smarty trying to "get the fly" nothing said. But if the inside second row driver hangs back to get off the fence straight after the start stewards ping them. Drivers who lay back out of the sulky then have to look around the side of the horse to see ahead of them instead of over the rump of their horse.

This style of driving also requires the driver to have a longer grip on the reins and if the horse starts to over race and or hang........

Lack of control once upon a time.......

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Another thing that should be banned is the number of drivers holding the reins at head level in run to the finishing post; one particular offender whom I won't name. No control of the horse whatsoever.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 10-12-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    HRNSW website still has these rules in place.relating to sulkies

170. (1) A driver shall, throughout the course of a race, drive with both feet in the rests of the sulky.
    (2) A driver shall not drive in a race with part of the driver’s body protruding beyond the sulky.

(3) A driver who fails to comply with any provision of this rule is guilty of an offence

Member Filly allanjg will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    allan gee
    the drivers lay back simply to take weight off the saddle....hence the horse is not pulling and carrying but only pulling,it may only equate to a couple of pounds,but it might make a big difference in tight finish....i could explain it in more detail but i would be only boring you all s..tless.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by allanjg View Post
    the drivers lay back simply to take weight off the saddle....hence the horse is not pulling and carrying but only pulling,it may only equate to a couple of pounds,but it might make a big difference in tight finish....i could explain it in more detail but i would be only boring you all s..tless.
    If this makes such a difference, trainers should be only putting on light weight drivers!.............maybe the stewards should start weighing out the drivers so punters can make an informed decision.........can you imagine the weight variations out there!.....also their weight after Xmas lunch!

+ Reply to Thread