Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Things are changing

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Maybe Lauren Panella should be carrying a 20kg lead bag in the sulky with her to even things up!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    If this makes such a difference, trainers should be only putting on light weight drivers!.............maybe the stewards should start weighing out the drivers so punters can make an informed decision.........can you imagine the weight variations out there!.....also their weight after Xmas lunch!
    I think in the old days this was refuted but I cannot see how a (strong) 50kg driver is not an advantage over an 80kg driver
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    Quote Originally Posted by allanjg View Post
    the drivers lay back simply to take weight off the saddle....hence the horse is not pulling and carrying but only pulling,it may only equate to a couple of pounds,but it might make a big difference in tight finish....i could explain it in more detail but i would be only boring you all s..tless.
    Jim Walsh (think that's the correct spelling) of Regal sulkies fame and fortune can produce a truck load of documents to disprove this statement. The company claimed that because of the positioning of the seat behind the wheels this automatically had the effect of pushing the sulky forward. From memory the claim was that there was little to no difference in the weight of a 90 kg driver or a 120 kg driver, it is all in the balance of the sulky. Add quick hitch harness which it is said to have a lifting effect (sulky pushing forward and quick hitch harness lifting from on the girth). This man spent a life time researching this for the design of his sulkies. Hope I didn't bore everyone shi......

These drivers who drive this way are playing with themselves (no picture needed thanks Kevin :-))

Tell them to sit on their reins also.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Race For Fun View Post
    Jim Walsh (think that's the correct spelling) of Regal sulkies fame and fortune can produce a truck load of documents to disprove this statement. The company claimed that because of the positioning of the seat behind the wheels this automatically had the effect of pushing the sulky forward. From memory the claim was that there was little to no difference in the weight of a 90 kg driver or a 120 kg driver, it is all in the balance of the sulky. Add quick hitch harness which it is said to have a lifting effect (sulky pushing forward and quick hitch harness lifting from on the girth). This man spent a life time researching this for the design of his sulkies. Hope I didn't bore everyone shi......

These drivers who drive this way are playing with themselves (no picture needed thanks Kevin :-))

Tell them to sit on their reins also.
    Well I could not let this go without a pic

Attached Images

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    I held my breath as I peeked. ;-)

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    They used to weigh in.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Yes Greg they did

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Yes Greg they did
    When did that change? Late 90s? I was born 1992 and have vague recollections of them weighing in.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    When did that change? Late 90s? I was born 1992 and have vague recollections of them weighing in.
    I think it was way earlier than that Breno, I was born in 55 and I have no recollection of it
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I think it was way earlier than that Breno, I was born in 55 and I have no recollection of it
    So I took a closer look at the picture and it looks like maybe the saddle is off the third horse, in the Dixon like colours. So they actually literally weighed the saddle like the gallops?
    What I recall is maybe just 'checking in' I'm sure it's called something else. The first four or whatever used to line up on the outside fence like above. Now they just go past the steward on the way back and that's that. What was all that about?

+ Reply to Thread