Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Things are changing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I always thought it was somewhat ceremonial (like an athlete standing on the winners dias) but also to give drivers a chance to lodge any protest with a steward and the steward a better chance to give the horses a once over.
    The gallops obviously still do it as they must have the place-getters weigh in - I like it but if it is a waste of time and would hinder shorter time between races we can live without it
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    I recall that drivers were once required to weigh 10 stone, else carry weight under their seat.
    That was the case until approx 1970.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    [QUOTE=aussiebreno;36958]So I took a closer look at the picture and it looks like maybe the saddle is off the third horse, in the Dixon like colours. So they actually literally weighed the saddle like the gallops?

The Dixon colours looks like K B Newman in stall 2, and his mate Clarrie next to him!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    I recall that drivers were once required to weigh 10 stone, else carry weight under their seat.
    Yes it was that weight , as kids we weren't allowed in the stabling area but I think they had to weigh in before they drove in races, I know my dad was a light weight & had to carry weight (lead) under his seat, always loosing the wing nuts. The photo was still like a correct weight thing even though they had already weighed in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    [QUOTE=The Form Student;36963]
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    So I took a closer look at the picture and it looks like maybe the saddle is off the third horse, in the Dixon like colours. So they actually literally weighed the saddle like the gallops?

The Dixon colours looks like K B Newman in stall 2, and his mate Clarrie next to him!

Adams in 1?? Newman in 2 & looks like Clarrie's colours in 3....who's the 4th???

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Perce Hall or Owen Glendenning!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Yes it was that weight , as kids we weren't allowed in the stabling area but I think they had to weigh in before they drove in races, I know my dad was a light weight & had to carry weight (lead) under his seat, always loosing the wing nuts. The photo was still like a correct weight thing even though they had already weighed in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Our Richard hates the horse name Uncle Wingnut - maybe it is a throw back to those 'weight under the seat' days Trish LOL
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    That is i meant by weighing in Trevor
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    I can remember them lining up beside one another after the race at the local track late 90's, maybe into early 2000's. It could have stopped for OHS reasons maybe, can't think of any other reason.

Track attendants would be there too to lead horses up to the fence, hang onto them etc.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Trish, I think they still had to get on the scales after the race. When a minimum weight was no longer required drivers still lined up as per the photo, the steward used to check the whips and the drivers had an opportunity at this time to lodge a protest before "all clear" was given.
    I think a minimum weight should never have been abolished and am still convinced that weight matters.

+ Reply to Thread