Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 81yo Ken Parker drives his first winner since 2008

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

81yo Ken Parker drives his first winner since 2008

Kyle posted this in the Odds and Ends but it is too good to get lost there

Nice little yarn out of the Redcliffe meeting this week. From the Courier Mail http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/su...f4085ec6a17bd2

IT’S not uncommon to get stuck behind senior citizen drivers at Redcliffe.
    But at Redcliffe Paceway yesterday, 81-year-old Ken Parker put an entirely new spin on the oft-joked-about stereotype.
    Parker steered Colada Rose, a mare he bred, owns and trains, to victory in the fourth race, bringing up her first win in 61 starts.
    It was his first win in the seat since April 2008.
    “It will take a month to take the smile off my face. I’ll have to have an operation to get rid of it,” Parker said.
    “It’s quite a good thrill because she’s been knocking on the door and running seconds and thirds and seconds and thirds, but just couldn’t quite crack the one. But today she cracked it and led all the way.”

Parker first entered harness racing in 1950 but left the sport when he became a family man.
    “I gave them away, got married and had a family and had to give horses away for 20 years,” he said.
    “When I retired at 65 I went and bought a horse and finished up with about three or four of them.
    “That’s what keeps me going, that’s what keeps me alive.
    “At 72 I had (heart) bypasses done and got a new lease on life, so I said I’m not going to waste it, I’m going to put it to good bloody use, so I am.
    “If I didn’t have a horse I don’t know what I’d do. I’ve only got the one now. I sacked one, it was no good.”
    Parker conceded Colada Rose will probably “see me out” but he revels rubbing shoulders with rivals only a fraction of his age.
    “People say I don’t look 81 and I say ‘what’s 81 got to look like? Is there some set bloody pattern?’ You know,” he said.
    “People guess anywhere between 65-72 and I say ‘I love you.’
    “This mare, I bred her. I had her mother. She’s five-years-old and it’s been a while since I’ve had a horse racing before she came along.”

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...ld#REC16101407
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Congratulations Ken
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    If the mare goes for as long as Master Kiesey that will see Ken pushing 90!

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    What a great story!

Geez feel good stories like this are the essence of what "the trots" is all about..... why oh why can't we capitalise on this stuff???

Drove her a treat too Ken!

Well done!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    What a great story!

Geez feel good stories like this are the essence of what "the trots" is all about..... why oh why can't we capitalise on this stuff???

Drove her a treat too Ken!

Well done!
    Because people are not doing their job! It is called PR. As I have said before, my daughter works in this area and one of her clients is a bigger sporting organization than Harness Racing. People in her line spend a big slice of their day getting stories/promotion for their clients in all forms of media.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    I read that radio 2UE in Sydney did an interview with him on their night program. Just goes to show these days if you tweet these people they might run with the story, handy in case their researchers miss it!

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    poor old Ken got lost on the way home after all the excitement..haha.Great bloke from my local area.ANYWAYS takes the time to have a chat & always willing to pass on his knowledge.I was stalled beside him the day this happen..great moment in harness racing

+ Reply to Thread