Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprint lane debate once and for all!!!!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Who is the horse getting the sprint lane run? The lowly assessed/inferior horse who drew good to get a good run under PBD. Who is the horse out 5 wide? The one who drew shit because he is superior and higher assessed under PBD.
    Evens it up.
    Generally it's one of the better horses in the race leading as well. Evens it up that an inferior horse can get a cheap run.
    The advantage received by way of PBD is negated severely without sprint lanes. These inferior horses may not be able to burn early to lead because they will falter late, let them get a sit and they are in the game. They take a sit on a track with no sprint lane and it's game over most of the time.
    Interesting point Brendan. Any chance we could just get rid of them for Championship races like Derbies etc where we want the best horses on the honour roll
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Interesting point Brendan. Any chance we could just get rid of them for Championship races like Derbies etc where we want the best horses on the honour roll
    Let me know of a championship race where a sprint laner has cheated to victory?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Let me know of a championship race where a sprint laner has cheated to victory?
    The first one that springs to mind is the one that started the original of this thread
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    An astute harness racing figure and creative thinker suggested to me: How would it be if we had a sprint lane in the back straight
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Who is the horse getting the sprint lane run? The lowly assessed/inferior horse who drew good to get a good run under PBD. Who is the horse out 5 wide? The one who drew shit because he is superior and higher assessed under PBD.
    Evens it up.
    Generally it's one of the better horses in the race leading as well. Evens it up that an inferior horse can get a cheap run.
    The advantage received by way of PBD is negated severely without sprint lanes. These inferior horses may not be able to burn early to lead because they will falter late, let them get a sit and they are in the game. They take a sit on a track with no sprint lane and it's game over most of the time.
    So what happens in a non PBD race, are you putting witches hats in the sprint lane?
    I get it, you are not happy with the PBD advantage.........you want more!......ahaa!.......a sprint lane to give you a clear run to the line, so you have an added advantage!.........but you want even more!.........OK, a set of steak knives as well! Don't we want the best horse to win?
    What happens if your "lowly" assessed individual has no gate speed to take advantage of your self indulgent advantage, and another "highly" assessed individual gets this spot!...........where to now!...........an extended arm on the mobile in front of it to make sure "lowly assessed" individual will have the option to hand up the lead!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    So what happens in a non PBD race, are you putting witches hats in the sprint lane?
    I get it, you are not happy with the PBD advantage.........you want more!......ahaa!.......a sprint lane to give you a clear run to the line, so you have an added advantage!.........but you want even more!.........OK, a set of steak knives as well! Don't we want the best horse to win?
    What happens if your "lowly" assessed individual has no gate speed to take advantage of your self indulgent advantage, and another "highly" assessed individual gets this spot!...........where to now!...........an extended arm on the mobile in front of it to make sure "lowly assessed" individual will have the option to hand up the lead!
    No, RBD just grin and bear it. Tracks need to be consistent in what they do. It's not like superior horses or handing up and getting the sprint lane. The superior horse is leading anyway most of the time.
    The PBD is no advantage if you are a weak squib who if used out of the gate has nothing to give. The PBD is no advantage if you are stuck running up backsides. The PBD is no advantage if superior animals or off and gone before you see daylight. The PBD is only an advantage if they can use that better draw to get a better run. The number saddlecloth you wear isn't the advantage, the advantage is getting a better run. You get that better run with a sprint lane. \
    Yes we do want the best horse to win. I dislike seeing the best horse lose, whether the best horse got held in, done it tough in the death, got attacked all the way in the lead, had to come too wide, got too far back. We can let the best horse have a good shot at drawing 2-4, no sprint lane, nothing will attack, and it wins at $1.20 with not much money in the pool. Or we can give these other horses a chance. Remember, it's just a chance, not a portkey to the top of the podium.
    There are that many different facets to a pacer, gate speed, closing speed, tactical speed, grinder, etc yet we all seem to hate on a pacer who's asset is closing speed. Surely a much bigger issue is the amount of leaders winning. At least those who lack gate speed and get crossed and then use the sprint lane take a few wins off leaders (who win by far the majority of races). Yet we all hate on a horse with closing speed, yet don't see much issue with a horse who's only real asset was it's gate speed to lead.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    How do you expect the "mug' punter to weigh up the pros & cons of their charge being or not being the sprint lane runner..........(because that is what they now have to take into consideration when having a bet on a harness race! Or worse still seeing their horse doing a power of work being knocked off by a horse getting the "the hand of god run"?
    Let's keep racing simple, not interfere with the racecourse that has guided us for the majority of the race, to only throw that out of the window, at the most crucial point on the home turn?
    Last edited by The Form Student; 10-24-2014 at 08:22 PM.

aussiebreno
    How do you expect the "mug' punter to way up the pros & cons of their charge being or not being the sprint lane runner..........(because that is what they now have to take into consideration when having a bet on a harness race! Or worse still seeing their horse doing a power of work being knocked off by a horse getting the "the hand of god run"?
    Let's keep racing simple, not interfere with the racecourse that has guided us for the majority of the race, to only throw that out of the window, at the most crucial point on the home turn?
    So, that's what it's really about? Not what's good for the industry, but what's easier for you?
    As an occasional mug punter (I sometimes have a bet without having read the form) I actually just back a horse drawn towards inside of front row because you know it will get an easy run - whether that's the lead or leaders back it doesn't matter. It's going to have a chance. I would have thought term mug punter pretty much rules out the punter looking too in depth at pros and cons and that's why it's easy to invest on something that will have every chance. So that's increasing turnover (just as Brent mentioned he is inclined to back something at $3, or $4 the place because it might get a sprint lane).
    I would have thought it was form students and not mug punters who are more affected by the variables a track with a sprint lane possesses. There a thousand variables when doing the form, just get used to it!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    http://bit.ly/1DAZ08i

Forget sprint lanes. This currently being trialled in France. Will certainly add some more variables to the punt!

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    How do you expect the "mug' punter to way up the pros & cons of their charge being or not being the sprint lane runner..........(because that is what they now have to take into consideration when having a bet on a harness race! Or worse still seeing their horse doing a power of work being knocked off by a horse getting the "the hand of god run"?
    I reckon Breno is spot on regarding the activities of a 'mug' punter there Steve. Also agree with a previous post in that the mug punter just wants to see his $$ get a crack at the finish line. IMO they are much less likely to be worried about being beaten by the sprint lane.
    Although I think it was tongue in cheek, I did liked your previous suggestion Steve......make the lane deeper creating more running lanes to the finish line.....much like Port Pirie.

+ Reply to Thread