Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprint lane debate once and for all!!!!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    Talking about maneuverability at Menangle watch I'm Victorious in 2013 Chariots blocked for a run all the way up the straight. Just because it's a 350 metre straight doesn't mean every horse gets a clear run. I think GP would have a higher proportion of winners coming from the sprint lane than any other track and many would say that's an unfair advantage.
    It would then follow Rod, if one belongs to the SL-more horses should get a shot camp, that GP needs a SL more than anybody
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    For a horse drawn barrier 8, was not on the fence during the run, gets held up for a run in the straight, I would say you need to look at your driver!...maybe he was not familiar in how to drive at Menangle...........or he was just plain unlucky not to get a run............as I have said countless times already, there will be hard luck stories in every race........let that happen!.....it will sort out the good drivers from the bad, the right horse in the right place..........and old lady luck!
    If Victorious would have got a split through the middle and won.........I think I would have heard you cheering from WA............How would you feel if that split came through the middle, or he went 4 & 5 deep to get beat a nose by a horse struggling up the SL and wins!............There should be no free rides!

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    [QUOTE=brent_L;37576]The consensus is that wagering may be being affected by this and if that is ever proved 100% to be the case things MUST change, even if it upsets people who don't like the sprint lane.

Bathurst is supposedly on trial!.......on trial for what?......from the stats shown from races with SL's.....the sprint lane serves no purpose............until someone shows me some positive evidence where things are improved by a SL, and I don't mean by perception..........then it not needed! Yes, if it is ever proved otherwise. I am happy to compromise on the sprint lane..........YES! YES! YES!.........make it a standard SL on every track of 100 metres maximum............let the driver make a proper choice as to whether he should persist with staying on the fence or look for an out.....not a free ride!
    Last edited by teecee; 10-30-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    You say that, when I have just compromised on "accepting the sprint lane".......what more can I do?? You obviously didn't fully read my post!
    But now in saying that..........please provide the basis on which a sprint lane is necessary, or is useful, besides "the perception by punters of not getting a run, and it may improve turnover"....when that is not proven either?
    I have tried to discuss the for and against arguments, but haven't heard a decent one for!
    Harness Racing will just become the "novelty event" it is turning into......at the gallops, there are set weights and stricter rules than harness racing.....people have more faith in it!.......Please tell me why, other than other worn out arguments above, how a SL is fair, and why it does not disadvantage other runners in a race?
    I want harness racing to not only survive, but thrive....but my thought is the sprint lane is a retrograde step.......the 2F & 3F horses, have their position in the race for various reasons.....you cannot give them an advantage over other runners.....if they can get a run....then so be it! In the end these same punters will walk away as they are beaten for various reasons other than the horse or drivers ability?
    Last edited by teecee; 10-30-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I begrudgingly accept that perception can be as important as reality but wonder if we are barking up the wrong tree when the HRV strategic plan states:

An undesirable perception of Harness Racing with the latest extensive research (Colmar Brunton 2009) revealing that Harness Racing is viewed as:
    - old and dated
    - races are too long
    - a boring sport
    - an ageing demographic
    - a predominantly male sport
    - high number of short priced favourites

There is no mention of 'not getting a run' and as we all know the doggies can be 'knock em down derbies' but the punters still plonk it on

ps Has there been any credible research to show that sprint lanes increase turnover?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I begrudgingly accept that perception can be as important as reality but wonder if we are barking up the wrong tree when the HRV strategic plan states:

An undesirable perception of Harness Racing with the latest extensive research (Colmar Brunton 2009) revealing that Harness Racing is viewed as:
    - old and dated
    - races are too long
    - a boring sport
    - an ageing demographic
    - a predominantly male sport
    - high number of short priced favourites

There is no mention of 'not getting a run' and as we all know the doggies can be 'knock em down derbies' but the punters still plonk it on

ps Has there been any credible research to show that sprint lanes increase turnover?
    Fairly accurate I would say..except I think there are more women involved than what is suggested.So when my punting mates who just love to bet on the gallops and to a lesser extent dogs(they like the dogs because there is no human involvement in the race and its fast and furious)ask me for for a winner at the trots they mostly ask if there is a spint lane at that meeting as well.Why? because of the perception that you wont get a run for your money.Our prizemoney..the whole industry survives on punters wanting to bet on the product..and seeing horses held up does the sport no favours at all.I love watching the trots live..its just brilliant,I hate going to the gallops because is as boring as hell..and the horses are too far away,unless you can find a filly at the bar.But on tv..the gallops look sensational!!and the trots look slow ..take too long in this fast paced world and can be considered boring by people who dont know or dont want to know how great the sport really is.Sprint lanes help the sport in my opinion..but I think we need to expand more on all other concepts possible to bring the sport back to popularity...if its possible.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K View Post
    Fairly accurate I would say..except I think there are more women involved than what is suggested.So when my punting mates who just love to bet on the gallops and to a lesser extent dogs(they like the dogs because there is no human involvement in the race and its fast and furious)ask me for for a winner at the trots they mostly ask if there is a spint lane at that meeting as well.Why? because of the perception that you wont get a run for your money.Our prizemoney..the whole industry survives on punters wanting to bet on the product..and seeing horses held up does the sport no favours at all.I love watching the trots live..its just brilliant,I hate going to the gallops because is as boring as hell..and the horses are too far away,unless you can find a filly at the bar.But on tv..the gallops look sensational!!and the trots look slow ..take too long in this fast paced world and can be considered boring by people who dont know or dont want to know how great the sport really is.Sprint lanes help the sport in my opinion..but I think we need to expand more on all other concepts possible to bring the sport back to popularity...if its possible.
    Obviously, they don't intend to back the horse drawn on the outside of the 2nd row (which would be highly unlikely to take advantage of a SL), therefore, they must be looking to back a runner that can make use of the SL, and the additional benefits that come with it!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K View Post
    Hi Kev, the report is now 5yrs old and I think the number of women participants has increased significantly in that time
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    http://www.harness.org.au/hra/pdfs/W...NAL-301014.pdf

One of key reasons people punt, including pros, is consistent track bias. With sprint lanes at a track it provides this consistency. Without sprint lanes there is no consistency in getting a run or not.

Steve you have also turned a blind eye to the argument PBD horses actually get use of the advantage of the draw.

Another concern of punters is the leader bias. Does the sprint lane not hamper that leader bias?

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    If pros like consistency surely they like leader bias?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread