Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprint lane debate once and for all!!!!

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Not a fan of sprint lanes, I think the tactics that come from having a sprint lane reduces the overall value of the race as a spectacle and as a gambling option.
    The sprint lane "mutes " a lot of other tactics, just like mile racing does, it limits the options of the drivers and hence limits the race as a gambling option. I have been saying this for as many years as I care to remember! Look at harness racing in North America with its mundane racing, if it wasn't for pokies the game would not exist over there, Harness punters bet on numbers and systems, they might as well bet on machines, not horses and drivers!!
    while you are having a look around look at harness racing in Europe, still going gang busters and still racing over varying distances...

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    Absolutely no, definitely not get rid of them now, get rid of them forever!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Totally agree, if you draw wide on the second row, why would anybody go out of their way to try to win if they have a mediocre horse in that particular race? The incentive is not there for them or the punter! In general, you expect the better horses to win a race, not someone being give a presentation on a platter! You make a run from back in the field, make up 5-6 lengths and hit the lead, then something that has been "asleep" for most of the race gets a rails run and knocks you off! Come on the administrators of Harness Racing, you have your bigger tracks, let's just leave it at that, not change the credibility of the sport!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    6 pages of thoughts in this Sprint Lanes Suck thread from May 3 this year after Mindarie Priddy was beaten in The Oaks

http://www.harnessracingforum.com/sh...int-lanes-Suck
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Thanks Kev, I knew there was a previous post somewhere on this topic...........it is now "urgent" for NSW racing, as once Bathurst get's its foot in the door, the floodgates will open for all tracks here! Look at WA, there major track is still only 800 metres, and yes leading is a big advantage, but it has not disadvantaged them, and runners back on the fence, take their chance and quite often get a run! We have bigger tracks now, and we then want to put a sprint lane on top!

Any person, driver trainer or punter etc, now looks at every race on the basis of who will be the leader, and the fence runners, this strategy takes the majority of the race form out of play!

If someone takes on a leader for the lead, the leader can say I will let him go, and will automatically get another crack later in the race. The skill and tactics have gone out the window! We need to look at this on an overall basis, not a particular race, or talking through your pocket! We all have had these situations go for us and against us, but in the end there should be no free ride for anybody!
    Last edited by The Form Student; 10-22-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    Thanks Kev, I knew there was a previous post somewhere on this topic...........it is now "urgent" for NSW racing, as once Bathurst get's its foot in the door, the floodgates will open for all tracks here! Look at WA, there major track is still only 800 metres, and yes leading is a big advantage, but it has not disadvantaged them, and runners back on the fence, take their chance and quite often get a run! We have bigger tracks now, and we then want to put a sprint lane on top!

Any person, driver trainer or punter etc, now looks at every race on the basis of who will be the leader, and the fence runners, this strategy takes the majority of the race form out of play!

If someone takes on a leader for the lead, the leader can say I will let him go, and will automatically get another crack later in the race. The skill and tactics have gone out the window! We need to look at this on an overall basis, not a particular race, or talking through your pocket! We all have had these situations go for us and against us, but in the end there should be no free ride for anybody!
    As the previous thread shows, I am not a fan of the Sprint lane but as far as the emboldened goes - I wonder whether there shouldn't be 'more doubt' in that with more aggressive drivers the early leader who hands up should be a little concerned about what if the new leader hands up too and I end up in the 5 posn

It does not seem to happen much and I sometimes wonder whether there isn't a case of peer pressure in that senior drivers put 'maverick' drivers back in their box
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    The more pertinent aspect is that the driver of the leader and the horse outside now drive to conserve something for the home straight, unless something is coming fast 3 ,4 or 5 wide, to offset the rails run they know is coming! This does not mean a strong pace in the final lap and hinders runners ready to make their final sprint! What is happening is that leaders are more dominant than ever before!

I agree with Danno, there are just not enough longer races, these races give the opportunity for more tactics to come into play, not stereo-typed "mile" race where the barrier draw generally determines how the race is to be run!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    The more pertinent aspect is that the driver of the leader and the horse outside now drive to conserve something for the home straight, unless something is coming fast 3 ,4 or 5 wide, to offset the rails run they know is coming! This does not mean a strong pace in the final lap and hinders runners ready to make their final sprint! What is happening is that leaders are more dominant than ever before!

I agree with Danno, there are just not enough longer races, these races give the opportunity for more tactics to come into play, not stereo-typed "mile" race where the barrier draw generally determines how the race is to be run!
    I am not sure that driving to conserve something in the home str is anything new Steve. Without a sprint lane, drivers in the past sometimes never fully released their horse in the home str so that the death horse could stick on long enough to stop the sit horse on the leaders back from getting out. As for a strong pace in the final lap - I think we are actually still seeing that but rarely a strong pace the lap before. Without much pace except for the last lap, horses from back in the field have to exceptional to make ground late
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    To refine my thought, the leader and death horses are "looking over their shoulder" waiting for the fence horse to come through, so the death horse is not overpowering the leader to early if it can, and visa versa, they know they are just sitting ducks! In the past the sit horse would have to pull back and come 3 or 4 wide, or look for a split, now they just wait, less distance and timing involved to get a run!
    One of only a few times that I can recall a driver forsaking the "privilege" run behind the leader waiting for the sprint lane, was Amanda Turnbull on Just Cala, to win the Breeders Crown Final. She came 3 wide, she was not waiting for the sprint lane, it shows that racing tactics and race circumstances, are what brings the glorious uncertainty to racing, not follow the leader!
    Look at Menangle racing, no-one gets upset when a horse gets held up, or can't get a split, it is just racing at it's natural best!
    Last edited by The Form Student; 10-22-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Like I said Steve, I hate the Sprint Lane too. This season I am keeping stats for Melton on how often the 3 or 5 posn win or place
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread