Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprint lane debate once and for all!!!!

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Quote Originally Posted by HaroldParker View Post
    Worst racing in Australia - QLD, SA and VIC = Virtually all Sprint Lane.

Best racing in Australia - WA and NSW = limited Sprint Lane.

The argument for them is completely flawed. The Sprint Lane @ Bathurst should be removed immediately and any thought of one at Menangle should be knocked on the head.
    Each to their own Bob. I for one ain't a fan of watching 10 mile races on a program in NSW and Gloucester Park isn't so much racing as it is lucky barrier dip......in exactly the same field a horse drawn 1 one week will start 2/1, drawn 12 the following week will be 30/1. Nowhere else in the country does this happen. As I said, each to their own.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    Well of course there has......winner was 3/1......he would have been a lot shorter if it was so scripted.
    To be fair Brent, he is only saying it was scripted that Avon would go to the lead and FAR would be on his back - he is not saying that it was a given that FAR would sprint over Avon
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    To be fair Brent, he is only saying it was scripted that Avon would go to the lead and FAR would be on his back - he is not saying that it was a given that FAR would sprint over Avon
    Kev, if that was the way that the majority of people had the race playing out FAR would have started favourite. The reason he started 3/1 is because the consensus was he wasn't going to be behind the leader.....hence my opinion there has been more 'scripted' affairs in the past. Cheers

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Each to their own Bob. I for one ain't a fan of watching 10 mile races on a program in NSW and Gloucester Park isn't so much racing as it is lucky barrier dip......in exactly the same field a horse drawn 1 one week will start 2/1, drawn 12 the following week will be 30/1. Nowhere else in the country does this happen. As I said, each to their own.
    How does the Sprint Lane help the horses drawn barrier 12 as you say, or out wide on the front, or outside of the back row???............It doesn't, does it!!!!..........the sprint lane hinders their chances and creates shorter prices for those drawn to get that run!

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Steve, Read Brent's comment again mate, I think he's talking about the fluctuations in a price of a horse from 1 week to another due to it's barrier draw.

Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Spot on Rich.
    Off topic anyhow....just thought I'd throw in my two bobs worth re favourite joints to bet/watch.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    The most winners at Melton last season came from barrier 6. Don't think many of them would have used sprint lane.

Of course can be huge advantage with right horse and race run right way.

The sprint lane at Melton doesn't start until well into straight. If there are horses out wide with their momentum up and you're in the sprint lane behind a leader that's stopping then you don't have great chance of matching them in run to finish.

Also seen many take a while to 'work out' sprint lane when it comes up. Guess horses are trained to pass on the outside of horses. You see some 'hesitate' to go in there at first. By time they get there and get going race over.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Steve, Read Brent's comment again mate, I think he's talking about the fluctuations in a price of a horse from 1 week to another due to it's barrier draw.
    What I am saying is that the horse drawn 12 the next week would probably be even longer if there was a sprint lane at Gloucester Park, how is the sprint lane going to help these horses drawn badly, wherever it is, the only hope you have is to make a run during the race, or join or start the 3 wide brigade, or sit back and hope they go crazy up front! With a sprint lane drivers are giving up the lead to easily, because they can take the cop out run later up the sprint lane, at least if it is a competitive start, there may be a bit more "argey bargey" to get the lead, and hopefully give the others some chance to get into the race later! I do know one thing in WA there a lot more mid race moves, and a lot stronger challenges for the lead!

I am well aware of the 1,8,9, or 2,1,8 trifecta's at Gloucester Park, the sprint lane only helps the "minority", and as a result hinders the chance of the "majority".....how can that be good "cricket"?

Look at Beautide, his 2 runs back from a spell, he had to do some work....but the leader and the horse behind had him beat with the speed of the race.....the 2F wasn't good enough to beat the leader, so the sprint lane would not have helped it, but the sheer speed put paid to Beautide's chances! James Rattray openly admitted, that his horse was getting beaten by the barrier draw! Unfortunately, the barrier draw has a big impact on a race, giving those that have already had their luck with a good barrier draw an additional free sprint lane run, is not the answer! Sometimes we just have to accept that this is the way things will be, but giving a free ride to 1 or 2 runners is not the long term answer!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    The most winners at Melton last season came from barrier 6. Don't think many of them would have used sprint lane.

Of course can be huge advantage with right horse and race run right way.

The sprint lane at Melton doesn't start until well into straight. If there are horses out wide with their momentum up and you're in the sprint lane behind a leader that's stopping then you don't have great chance of matching them in run to finish.

Also seen many take a while to 'work out' sprint lane when it comes up. Guess horses are trained to pass on the outside of horses. You see some 'hesitate' to go in there at first. By time they get there and get going race over.
    Paul, is there somewhere that one can look up those stats?
    I am taking stats this season but only on Metro mobile pacers races with at least 8 runners and so far with a sample of only 27, the barriers 6 & 7 are leading with 5 winners each with only 1 each coming from a fence postion (I suppose 1/5 20% is still somewhat significant)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Kev, if that was the way that the majority of people had the race playing out FAR would have started favourite. The reason he started 3/1 is because the consensus was he wasn't going to be behind the leader.....hence my opinion there has been more 'scripted' affairs in the past. Cheers
    Yeah you're right - that follows
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread