Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprint lane debate once and for all!!!!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Forget I am posting this, for Ash's is probably a good post to finish up on - note he highlighted 'perception' which can sadly be as important as facts. Now back to the Wagering report to see if it mentions SL's even if it did not survey the average punter
    There was barely a "squeak" in the report about sprint lanes!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Chariots View Post
    Ballarat does not have a sprint lane and I have been led to believe that it is the highest turnover provincial track in Victoria.

If this can be confirmed it does point to sprint lanes being all about perception rather than reality particularly where turnover is concerned.
    Highest turnover based on what? Highest gross, highest per race, per meeting?

Not so sure it would be sprint lane related or just when they race.
    Ballarat probably has more Fri/Sat nights than any other country clubs, and when they do race midweek it still seems to be under lights. I would hazard a guess these time-slots get more punting dollars than daytime midweek time-slots regardless of tracks involved?

aussiebreno
    Sophies Ideal, what a great advertisement for the sprint lane!

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Yes and I know a couple of keen punters from around Avenel way who would have had a nice bit of coin on her at those odds, I can hear them cheering from here.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Couple things about sprint lane from last nights racing.

Sprint lane gave 2 extra horses a chance in mares race. One behind leader and as it turned out one 4 back the fence who won the race. Also make the racing more interesting to watch. G. Lang draw behind the 1 Blazeaway Macray, a noted quick beginner. Follow away, sit back and get sprint lane? Or does Blazeaway Macray hand up and put him 3 fence? Turns out he end up 3 fence. We thought the 1 would hand up. Tandias Bromac was always going to go forward and the 1 didn't hand up to it a few starts back and got beat.

Then coming off back, does he sit there and hope for a run to come or does he come out and around? Came out and around (as he should have on that horse). Had he stayed there wins. BUT had he stayed there and no run comes would have copped heaps criticism. Leaves run for winner up the inside (Don't think that counts as a sprint lane winner!).

On another point re this race. COT (silly rule IMO). Blazeaway Macray not hand up a few starts back. Hands up last night. No COT. Why should they? Silly rule and would have changed the whole race had they come out and said they would hand up. Why give away your tactics? All are trying to win the race so why tell everyone what you are going to do and make the race more predictable? Someone said on another thread the other day "Harness racing boring". COT rule makes it more boring!

All those variables in that race because of sprint lane. Made for a great race to watch.

Also FFA race. Cold Major draw behind 1. 1 also going to be leader. Looked like Cold Major sit on it's back and use sprint lane and win race. But brilliant drive by Nathan Jack on Jadahson. Saw what happening, got it revved up coming off back. Pinch lead on straightening. By time sprint lane come up for Cold Major who now behind a tiring leader, too late. Sprint lane no advantage to Cold Major. The opposite in fact. Again great race to watch.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Gday Brent. Will try find out where stats come from. I only know coz they have a question in the racebook every week. That was the question early in new season and answer took a few by surprise.

Gday Brent. I asked around last night and no one knew where to find the info. Lukes got 4 days off school so will set him a 'task' and post results when he's done. Last nights winning barriers... 7 5 4 6 9 4 13 2 5 4.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Gday Brent. I asked around last night and no one knew where to find the info. Lukes got 4 days off school so will set him a 'task' and post results when he's done. Last nights winning barriers... 7 5 4 6 9 4 13 2 5 4.
    I have done barrier stats this season Paul but restricted it to Mobile Pacer Metro class races with at least 8 starters (and noted their bell posn)

I have however done Bell posn stats for all Melton races (at a Metro meeting)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You do not get much more boring than the 2 sprint lane wins by the favs in the first two races at Shep tonight - bloody terrible as a spectacle as the results were never in doubt and yet it would be questionable if either would have won without the spr lane
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding NormanS will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Norman Schwarz
    Occupation
    Franchise Owner
    Horses
    Love This Dragon, Aussie Melody, Love Th

One example where a sprint lane might have been nice

Newcastle Race 5 14-11 (video replay: http://www.harnessmediacentre.com.au.../replays/16618 )
    a few quick points -
    1/ I'm not a spint lane fan but understand why the punters would have liked a sprint lane at Newcastle.
    2/ I own the horse that would have benefited.
    3/ Without the sprint lane, the driver did the right thing by the horse (although potentially the wrong thing by the punter) - Driving the fav, led, tried to hold, handed up, tried to get off the pegs but never had the outside horse in exactly the right spot, didn't knock anyone over trying for a run or pushing out wrong, horse finished on the bit and I as an owner still have a horse and say "well there's always next week". AND I say that happens in racing.
    4/ With SkyRacings server problems last night I only got to listen to the call (I'm In Far North QLD) - Please Kevin Thompson When the horse finishes on the helmet of the driver finishing 3rd through no clear run he is NOT tailed off. Here I was hoping nothing had gone wrong with my horse.

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Finally!!! And believe work starting at Melton after todays meeting

http://www.punters.com.au/news/Victo...starts_135805/

+ Reply to Thread