Did Barynya really win the Oaks last night or was it simply the horse that drew 8. I have little doubt that several of the field would have won that race if they had drawn 8.

The sprint lane is a massive penalty that a leader has to carry nowadays. They destroy trotting's heritage IMO for we need to create a new category of 'grey' type for horses that win black type races using the sprint lane - the huge advantage they give the runner in the sit is plain ridiculous.

I know it has not happened yet but we could see leaders slowing up at the bell to relinquish the lead so that they can finish in the sprint lane and hamper the horse on their back. Or will we see the American style of racing where they rotate the lead - like a bicycle race where the cyclists take it in turn to cut the breeze.

It is all for the punter supposedly (the distaste for runners not getting out) but who feels confident about backing leaders anymore. What of the skill of the driver ie the skill of keeping a danger horse locked up V the gift of a golden pass up the inside. I know classics were won off cushy runs in the past but choosing to hand up the lead carried a huge risk of not getting out - now it only carries a small risk of the new leader handing up too.