Thread: HRA Wagering report

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac

HRA Wagering report

I thought this deserves its own thread.

A copy of the recommendations can be read here.

https://www.harness.org.au/hra/pdfs/...NAL-301014.pdf

Interested in comments/thoughts.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The title of the other thread pretty much mirrors it but it can't hurt
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Hi Harvey

I think this would have to be a mistake:
    Most punter households were a couple with no children,
    the second most was a single person,
    and yet 44% have children living at home.
    Unless we have a lot of single households with children?
    Last edited by Messenger; 10-31-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Kevin not knowing how to download!
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    It would be good if one could save a copy instead of downloading it every time. Also cannot copy and paste from it which makes providing feedback a little trickier
    To save it Click on File in menu bar at top
    Click on Save Page As
    Last edited by Race For Fun; 10-31-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I remember when the following statement by Trish was questioned in the Cobalt thread
    "harness racing is unique in as much that the majority of punters have a direct link to the industry"
    I think she may have been on the money but think the survey for this report may have had too many participants in it

That over 50% of respondents in all states were owners as well and 69% had an involvement other than wagering

I know the report recognizes a weakness that it did not hear from enough casual punters (pg 5) but I am not sure you can assume that recommendations that enhanced the investment from regulars would have a positive impact on the less frequent.

I fear this may a doubly dangerous assumption for
    69% of this survey group are actual stakeholders
    and is what appeals to pro punters necessarily what would appeal to 'recruit' punters

Of course maybe it is simply true that all our punters are stakeholders - that would be alarming. A connection is one thing but if it was stakeholders only we are way too insular
    Last edited by Messenger; 10-31-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks Toni - my mistake - being in Chrome instead of Explorer throws me

ps Still cannot seem to Copy and Paste for quoting purposes
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    Thanks Toni - my mistake - being in Chrome instead of Explorer throws me

ps Still cannot seem to Copy and Paste for quoting purposes
    No, you need to have a paid for copy of Adobe Reader installed on your computer....... Sneaky hey.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Race For Fun View Post
    No, you need to have a paid for copy of Adobe Reader installed on your computer....... Sneaky hey.
    I am paid up now (I always meant to so that I could Excel the Cobalt swabs) but you still cannot cut and paste as it is password protected.

Hey Harvey, any chance of freeing this up so that it easier to give feedback
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Hi Harvey

I think this would have to be a mistake:
    Most punter households were a couple with no children,
    the second most was a single person,
    and yet 44% have children living at home.
    Unless we have a lot of single households with children?
    The above was from p. 7-8

To further confuse things p. 13 seems to have figures that dispute the above
    The black and white dot points are confusing too as one could be forgiven for thinking all of p.13 was a subset of the 14.3% pro punters (I don't think it is)

Other issues:

p.14 I am not sure we can write off wagering on harness racing as not being a social a social activity just yet
    For starters we would have to field survey more non participants attending trots or betting shops (assuming that they actually supply a social enviroment/entertainment package)
    and have a serious crack at getting people to attend meetings by providing a superior dining/entertainment package to what we provide now

Let's not forget that the report does state on pg 10 that one of the main reasons that people bet on Harness is 'an early on-track experience' and who knows how many of these experiences were a social activity
    and p.37 talks about promoting ownership as fun

p.21 There are still a considerable % of punters who will not bet on Trotters (and yet we are increasing the number of Trots races - no Frenchmen surveyed , I am guessing most of the 20 or so O/S respondents were NZers)

p.22 States that TV coverage is extremely important but once again Free to Air TV does not get a mention in Recommendations (too hard?)
    I do not know how much Oz harness is on Sky 2 as I only internet it (and only for NZ) but I wonder if we should not have had a crack at getting it as part of Foxtel's Basic package - the gallopers will have their TVN as part of the new Basic (will have to see after Nov 3 what conditions are on Sky 2)

PS seriously see what you can do about the security settings on this report Harvey
    PPS there is a rumour going around that the deal we cut for fixed odds betting is hurting us

I know I have been a little critical of a couple of things but seriously you should be commended for giving of your time for the good of the industry
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    P.11 Unappealing elements of HR.
    The working party is well aware that integrity issues could be an easy target-based often on perception (or even through the pocket) rather than reality.

Mark read down to this part & couldn't read any further , he asked a question & refused to read on & that question was "was the Blue Magic, Green Light Scandal & over 80 positive swabs my imagination?" I have to agree with him , if they are not ready to face the truth what was the point of the committee?

+ Reply to Thread