Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is a unit nowadays?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

What is a unit nowadays?

I see tonights Quaddie at Melton is listed as paying $107,265.90c
    But I also see that the Quaddie pool was $76,255.21c

Is a unit a $1 ? and nobody has had a full unit? and some of it will jackpot?

Or am I getting it all wrong

(can tell I do not bet much nowadays)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    I'm sure some of the sharper punters will correct me if I'm wrong Kev, $1.00 = 1 Unit. I think that your on the right path but if you have multiple selections your unit would be worth a lot less. I'm taking a stab in the dark and I think that if you had 4 selections in each leg of the Quaddie for $1.00, Your winning 1st leg would only have 25 cents carrying over to the next leg etc. I think it's best to leave it to Breno, Brent or Ash to confirm or correct this. I'm still a little old school with a lot of the betting exotic's and had a crack at the Quaddie a few weeks ago and after getting the first 2 legs, The Third leg narrowly missed and the 4th leg got up, A fair bit of fun to be had with this type of betting.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 11-01-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I was a keen Quaddie punter in my day (we will not say when LOL) but there was no such thing as taking a % of the bet. If you had 4x4x4x4 that was 256 combos at 50c a unit = $128.
    Now I expect the unit is a $1 or maybe they just give the divvies for a $1 outlay.
    The way I figure it
    If it is still a 50c unit somebody got the Quaddie about 1.4 times (or a couple of people.....)
    If a unit is $1 then nobody had a whole unit on it as the divvie is bigger than the pool and therefore some of it must be a jackpot

Breno, Brent or Ash (younguns are probably out on the town - that is old speak for clubbing or .....?)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Amazing that there was a little more than a unit on the Melton Race 7 Trifecta which paid $20,075.00 (with a pool of $22,978.16)
    Odds of $61.30 - $58.80 - $57.40 for the placegetters and you would almost expect a jackpot

The First Four had a pool of $13,576.50 but $9,439.31 of it jackpoted
    Does this jackpot into the very next race because I noticed Race 8 had an unbelievable First Four pool of $55k!
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I was a keen Quaddie punter in my day (we will not say when LOL) but there was no such thing as taking a % of the bet. If you had 4x4x4x4 that was 256 combos at 50c a unit = $128.
    Now I expect the unit is a $1 or maybe they just give the divvies for a $1 outlay.
    The way I figure it
    If it is still a 50c unit somebody got the Quaddie about 1.4 times (or a couple of people.....)
    If a unit is $1 then nobody had a whole unit on it as the divvie is bigger than the pool and therefore some of it must be a jackpot

Breno, Brent or Ash (younguns are probably out on the town - that is old speak for clubbing or .....?)
    The dividend is calculated on a $1- bet. The good old days of speaking in 'units' is gone unfortunately.....the flexi option has taken all thinking (that was once paramount when betting) out of the equation.

No clubbing Kev.....what's that old saying?..two left feet! It does however hurt when I blink this morning! Cheers

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    If some really longshots come up and only one punter had the right combo but had only taken 10% of say a FxFxF, they surely only get 10% of pool and 90% jackpots. Is that correct?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Spot on.

+ Reply to Thread