Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly question...sorry

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove

Silly question...sorry

Sorry silly question(s). Am new to Harnesslink so please excuse my ignorance. Have asked around and not got any 'satisfactory' answers. Understand no rules to it but would appreciate your comments/answers.

1. When they say your mare is a "XX" line mare, to which line are they referring? Can draw many lines through the pedigree, but which one is the the 'line'?

2. Age. If I look at Christian Cullens pedigree (for example) I see Tar Heel back as one of his 'great grandfathers'. From what I can see he was 25 years old when he served 'In the Pockets' grand mother (Miss Skipper). Due to age, is he excluded from any 'pedigree matching'?

Sorry again to ask silly questions.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Toohard

It's not a silly question if you don't know the only way to find out is ask. Now i'm still learning myself but as far as i understand age doesn't exclude them from pedigree matching but some people when trying to match stallions with mare's don't look back past 4-5 generations. Now i'm not sure what you mean by "xx" line mare but if you mean say 3x3 cross that would be say a filly by Art Major infoal to Rocknroll Heaven and that would give you a 3m, 3f to Artsplace. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by mango; 05-22-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Thanks very much for your response mango

Should have made my question clearer. Was doing some reading and read "This stallion would be suited to Abercrombie line mares". I have a mare by Perfect Art out of a Caesar Blue Chip mare.

Perfect Art is by Artsplace who is by Abercrombie. Caesar Blue Chip is by Most Happy Fella.

Does this make my mare an Abercrombie line mare or a Most Happy Fella line mare? Or both? Or neither i.e. should I be looking at the 'female' side of her pedigree to work out what line mare she is?

Cheers and thanks again

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Toohard

As I said before i'm still learning but i'd say she would be an Abercrombie line mare, what's the stallion your thinking about using.

Flashing Red
    I never look at just the one line (ie just the sire; I look at the sire and the dam) but - and I'm happy to be corrected - I *think* what they are referring to is the stallion side of the mare, hence I would also agree with Mango and by the person's description I'd say she's and Abercrombie lined mare

triplev123
    I'd go with an Artsplace line...same thing as mares by Grinfromeartoear, Art Major etc.

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Thanks again for your help. Muchly appreciatted.

Mango... was looking at Jeremes Jet. Would make 5x4 Most Happy Fella (male\female) and 4x4 Abercrombie (female\male). Currently in foal to Bettors Delight. Hope she still is! Was last year too but it disappeared somewhere along the line. Looks like she still is this time (fingers crossed). Getting 'bitchy' too so good sign based on previous experience. That would make foal 4x4 Most Happy Fella (male\female) and 4x4 Abercrombie (female\male). Trying variations of 'same theme'. Her first foal was 4x4 Abercrombie and he goes OK. If we get a nice foal this time and can get around the wife re funds then go back to Bettors again I think. Else have to look for cheaper alternative (hence my questions). Had flood damage (not the house luckily) last year that still trying to clean up/repair and with that and the kids the funds get sucked up pretty quick!

Triplev123.. you say Artsplace line because he is the mares grandfather? That's as far as you go back to determine the 'line' ?

Again, thank you all very much for your help and time.

Cheers

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Toohard

I hope you get the funds so you can send your mare where you want. Why don't you look at sending your mare to a stallion who's dam is by Artsplace. Go to Peppertree Farm website click on breeder's world scroll down and then click on Tesio Pedigree Matching type in your mare's name and then click on stallion's and click on Rocknroll Heaven as his dam is by Artsplace and he could be an option as he is around $4k cheaper than Bettor's.

triplev123
    [QUOTE=Toohard;6071] Triplev123.. you say Artsplace line because he is the mares grandfather? That's as far as you go back to determine the 'line' ?

G'day Toohard,

Though one may well exist I've never heard of nor read an explicit explanation so for mine it's always been largely a kind of an arbitrary thing...as in wherever you may wish to draw a line in the sand for want of a better way of putting it.
    I'd say Artsplace line in this particular instance because Artsplace is a sire of sires...as in it is precisely at the point of Artsplace where the Abercrombie sireline (him being Artsplace's sire) branches off to the various now successful siring sons of Artsplace himself... such as Perfect Art, Modern Art, Grinfromeartoear, Art Major etc.
    You could say the same thing of the Cam Fella line. It is right at the point of his best son, Cam's Card Shark, where the line branches off to Bettor's Delight, Four Starzzz Shark etc and for the sake of the exercise I'd duly refer to them both as being Cam's Card Shark line sires. At that same point, another one of Cam Fella's sons in Camluck sees another line branch off to Northern Luck & so on. I'd refer to Northern Luck etc. as being Camluck line sires and interestingly...right there, that branch has basically died.
    Again, the same basic things could be said of the No Nukes line. From him it branches off down two main lines...that of Jate Lobell & in turn his sons Village Jasper, Safely Kept etc and there it has come to a screaching halt while another more successful line from No Nukes, one which goes much further down the line and through Western Hanover and then to his son Western Ideal and in turn his son Rocknroll Hanover and onwards to Rock N Roll Heaven appears set to be with us for a long time to come.
    Somewhat differently to the others I would for the monent anyway still refer to Rock N Roll Heaven as a Western Ideal line sire... because Rocknroll Hanover is obviously yet to leave a successful siring son while Western Ideal most certainly has. Hopefully that all makes a bit of sense to you.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hey Triple

Great post not only have you helped Toohard out but you have also helped me understand the line's more.

CHEERS

MANGO

+ Reply to Thread