Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly question...sorry

triplev123
    You're more than welcome.
    Remember though, that's just the way that I see them & as I said I really don't know if it's the generally accepted view.
    Similarly I've seen slightly ranging to vastly different methods being employed to interpret & then express various pedigree 'assessments' for want of a better word...some people might say that a horse is bred 3x4x5x3 to Meadow Skipper for example...while in some cases others throw in what I assume??? are the sex deliniations of the actual crosses...as in the same basic thing but written 3fx4mx5mx3m or whatever the case may be, so there are no hard and fast rules IMO.
    On a related note, I've long reckoned that the smoke and mirrors routine surrounding the whole thing needs to be exposed for what it is and duly debunked so I sincerely hope this helps Toohard & yourself & others. The so-called Pedigree/Breeding Consultants of this world tick me off big-time because they get their money under false pretences IMO. With some time, homework, diligent observation and practice anyone can work it out and don't let anyone tell you any different...that for a fee, they'll reveal to you...like some equine reproduction version of a rabbit out of a hat... that which you could so easily discover for yourself...for nothing other than the cost of your time.
    My advice is to trust your gut and forget about the hocus pocus. We're breeding flesh & blood here, not printouts with lots of highlights on them or otherwise nicely coloured up screens on our PC's.
    In keeping with the above, the best piece of advice on breeding matters I've ever received came from John Bagshaw. He said he had probably tried out every breeding theory there was at one time or another...but after all that he experienced by far his greatest levels of success by forgetting about this cross or that cross and instead simply breeding for type.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Thanks again for your help. Muchly appreciatted.

Mango... was looking at Jeremes Jet.
    Cheers
    Hi Toohard,

Are you breeding with the intention of selling or keeping the foal?
    If breeding to sell, Jereme's Jet might be a high risk play IMO. By the time you sell the yearling he will have had a few crops at the races and they may be sought after OR they may be totally unwanted.
    The safest way is to either breed to the new stallions that have plenty of hype (such as SBSW, RNR Hanover, RNR Heaven) or breed to the already proven and popular stallions (such as Bettors Delight, Art Major, Mach Three, etc., etc.) depending in both instances on how much you want to spend and what level of service fee the mare warrants.

I wouldn't breed her to an Abercrombie sireline stallion but she can go to pretty much anything else that takes your fancy. As suggested earlier, a stallion who is out of an Artsplace mare would be a nice double up.

Junior Member Foal breakthebank will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    John Munro
    I suggest you download Norman Hall's book QUEEN AMONG QUEENS from www.pedigreematching.com. A very interesting read on the origin of the standardbred and how to read the pedigrees - very understandable and you don't need a pHD to decipher it. Contains most of the things you are asking about.

Junior Member Yearling Nemera will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rena Johnsen
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    In keeping with the above, the best piece of advice on breeding matters I've ever received came from John Bagshaw. He said he had probably tried out every breeding theory there was at one time or another...but after all that he experienced by far his greatest levels of success by forgetting about this cross or that cross and instead simply breeding for type.
    Breeding for type is how some of these crosses became discovered in the first place. Some stallions really stamp their progeny with a physical type (Good or bad) which tends to help make a particular cross work or not work. But totally agree that type is to often forgotten in the emphasis on pedigree. And my pet peeve is pedigree consultants that market stallions as well. Their bias is usually only to evident.
    My current favourite cross if I could afford it would be Christian Cullen over Live Or Die mares. As I see it crossing speed over heart and so far has produced the likes of Lizzie Maguie, Gotta Go Cullect, Gotta Go Harmony, Chancellor Cullen, Ohoka Texas & Matt Maguire. Unfortunately it's well out of my price range.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Gday all

Thank you all very much for your help and advice. Realise not an 'exact science'. For every theory I've read so far giving examples of champions bred that way I can 100s of others bred exactly same way that weren't. Guess if was that easy everyone would be doing it! "eliteblood" am breeding to keep and (hopefully) race.

Thank you all again for your time
    Cheers

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Pick the stallions you like put there name's in a hat and pick one out cause i'm sure sometime's it's like a lucky dip.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Gday again

In my searching and reading came across something 'useful' (well interesting anyway) that you probably know about already but thought would add here in case someone didn't.

Go to www.peppertreefarm.org. Click on the "Breeders World" button and then "Classic families". Enter your mares name and away you go...

All free for the time being. Cheers

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Toohard

Did you do a tesio on your mare so you could understand what the 3x3 and so on means.

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Gday Mango

Yes did that on the peppertree site which is how I stumbled across the other thing.

Cheers

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Toohard

Yeah i should of told you about that when i suggested you go to the Peppertree website to do a Tesio. It help's understand a few thing's on breeding and it's great that at the present time it is free (bonus).

+ Reply to Thread