Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Silly question...sorry

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Justdoit

It sounds like you had a well deserved break and the hangover's you can have i'm glad i give up.

triplev123
    If you want to give up the tipple over night, stone cold...have a baby. Nothing stops the practice of extensive and vigourous after dinner quaffing in its tracks faster than does a screaming baby at 3am.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Didn't need a baby to give up if anything that would make me take it up again.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Gday again,

Have another question(s). Whilst using Tesio via some of the studs to see what the breeding of a potential foal would be I noticed that sometimes a mare in pedigree more than once is highlighted (in red when you print it). Thought I worked out its if the mares
    been served by 2 or more different stallions and the resultant offspring are both in the pedigree. But not always the case.

For example I have a mare by Perfect Art. He is by Artsplace out of Perfect Profile. If I use Tesio and select Western Edition (who is by Western Hanover out of Perfect Profile) then Perfect Profile is highlighted in Red.

If I select Rock N Roll Heaven the resultant foal would be 3x3 Artsplace. But the dam of Artsplace is not highlighted in Red?

If I select Art Major (full brother to Perfect Art) then again Perfect Profile is highlighted in Red (which knocks my first theory on the head).

Just wondering what the Red highlighting means? And whats the significance of it? Is it something to do with Rasmussens Theory?

Cheers

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    It just highlights red/pink when you are doubling up on a mare that is on both side's of the pedigree Go to woodlands stud website and type in a mare by Life Sign and match it to American Ideal and the same thing happens as you are doubling up on Three Diamonds.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Thank you mango

So how come when I select Rock N Roll Heaven (the resultant foal would be 3x3 Artsplace), Artsplaces dam (Miss Elvira) is not highlighted in Red? Miss Elvira on both sides pedigree but not highlighted?

Thank you again

Cheers

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Toohard

I'll take a guess and i could be wrong, Artsplace is the doubled up so Miss Elvira won't be as she is the dam of him which has been highlighted. Mare's will be highlighted when they come into a pedigree through 2 different son's or more or 2 different daughter's or one of each or more and not the same son twice and when it is the same son twice as with the pedigree you are talking about the sire will be highlighted.. For example that's why i suggested to look at a Life sign mare sent to American Ideal, Life Sign who is by Abercrombie and is out of Three Diamonds and American Ideal who's dam Lifetime Success By Matt's Scooter is out of Three Diamonds. Hey Toohard now i'm confusing myself hopefully someone will clear this up in a post otherwise i'll try and find out more for you today.

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Gday mango

You are right from my further 'research'. Got thrown when put in full brother Perfect Art (Art Major) and mare (Perfect Profile) still came highlighted in red but from my 'experimenting' found it don't care about full brother, etc. Just so long as 2+ different sons\daughters then highlights mare in red. Now (YET ANOTHER) question... is the highlighting in red a 'bad thing'? i.e. is it saying "don't do this". Or is is just highlighting its there (like it does in blue with the stallions). Forgetting what Tesio says... is it an obviously bad thing to do?

Thank you again for your help and time mango. Very muchly appreciated. I owe you a beer or 7 at least!! Maybe catch up when this foal am doing all the research into wins Breeders Crown in couple of years!

Cheers

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Toohard

I remember reading a post a while ago where Mightymo said he would have know problems with sending a Life Sign mare to American Ideal or an Albert Albert mare to Lis Mara which would give you a double up cross to Lismore and i also like the doubling up of good mare's in a pedigree if you can get them. I was in n.z early april and went out to Bromac Lodge and whilst there this topic come up and Bob said he had actually sent a Life Sign mare to American Ideal for the double up of Three Diamonds. So double up the mare's but i wouldn't have them any closer than 3x3 but thats just my preference.

Member Gelding Zipper will become famous soon enough Zipper's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Toohard,

Not that you've asked this question but in my opinion the important factor in breeding is in fact out-cross blood. Out-cross blood is basically the mating of two un-related horses, in my opinion any horse without a genetic cross in the first 5 generations, it can be considered to have out-cross blood. This is generally more favoured in thoroughbred racing in my experience however I think there is plenty to be gained by applying the same principles in standardbreds. I think the attraction with line breeding (crosses closer up in the family e.g. 4x3, 3x3 etc) is to try and replicate common or distinctive traits. However 'outcrossing' inputs new blood into the gene pool thus increasing the variance of genes in the pool.

Why do I like this? the probability of getting a good horse is extremely small, by increasing the variants in the gene pool I believe it can only increase the chance of getting a good horse. Remember breeding horses is somewhat like playing lotto.....

The other critical factor in breeding which is even more important is the mare's family. I don't care what anyone says, I am convinced that good mares make good stallions and 90% of breeding influence comes from the dams side.

I try to take a simple approach to breeding or buying horses.

You want a mare with outcross blood from a proven producing family that has won in a sub 2min mile rate, mated with a stallion from outcross blood himself. The only other piece in the puzzle is ensuring if your mare has any physical traits that may be inhibiting (size, conformation etc), that you select a stallion who is proven at not producing horses with similar traits (i.e. don't send a small mare to horse renowned for producing smaller types)

Other than that set a budget and stick to it. Hope this little rant was of some value.

+ Reply to Thread