Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which is your favourite Country Cup?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Which is your favourite Country Cup?

"Maybe this should go under The POSITIVES only thread Kev but what about 'Which is your favourite Country Cup?' Was at this season's Nyah@Swan Hill, great meeting and atmosphere. Memories of Nyah@Nyah, backdrop of old river red gums, lots of the catering done by local community clubs. Gunbower@Gunbower, unique with the size of the track, rural atmosphere and all it's pleasantries. The re-birth of the Wangaratta@Wangaratta Cup meeting, huge crowd, nostalgic infrastructure, stepping stone for Wartime Sweetheart. Last year's version first noticed the little mare Gumdrops."

posted by Wayne Hayes
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    No answers yet - I would answer but am afraid I will be seen as biased!

I think all the clubs have their own little "unique" aspects to their major events.

Some get a lot better response than others, but I think all clubs deserve to hold their own major event on their home turf and we need to ensure this happens long term.

Hopefully will wander up for the Wang Cup next year, as Wayne said, a big crowd packed into the course under the old lights on the half mile track.

Looking forward to seeing the Ballarat Cup "on track" this sat night.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    The way the cups have been scheduled this year makes things interesting leading up to the Victoria Cup (mobile) and AG Hunter Cup ( standing start).
    Bendigo's Cup on Jan 17th is a mobile, while the Shep Cup the following week is a stand. Could be that trainers use the Bendigo Cup to lead into the Vic Cup, while the Shep cup seems to be a lead in to the Hunter Cup.
    Then follows the Interdominion. Hopefully Beautide and Christen Me will come to either Bendigo or Shep.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by Adaptor; 12-10-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Favourite Country Cups
    1. Raiarmagh Pool under the lights at the old Shepparton Showgrounds (when I was a lad)
    2. Harwood Brigade at Shepparton..not sure why I remember this but he was sparingly raced due to unsoundness
    3. Adaptor's Bendigo Cup on the old Lord's Raceway track ( before it was reversed). Off 24, badly away, checked at the bell, then took off 3 wide in the back straight, looped the field and ran away.

Junior Member Yearling MJD will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Matthew Dennis
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    The way the cups have been scheduled this year makes things interesting leading up to the Victoria Cup (mobile) and AG Hunter Cup ( standing start).
    Bendigo's Cup on Jan 17th is a mobile, while the Shep Cup the following week is a stand. Could be that trainers use the Bendigo Cup to lead into the Vic Cup, while the Shep cup seems to be a lead in to the Hunter Cup.
    Then follows the Interdominion. Hopefully Beautide and Christen Me will come to either Bendigo or Shep.
    Thoughts?
    Beautide is going to Bendigo

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    Thoughts?

Don't hold your breath to See Christen Me at either.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Shepp Cup would be out imho, His manners can let him down in the stand start races.
    Well I was totally wrong with the above prediction, Read a bit earlier that Cran is definitley looking at taking Christen Me to the Shepparton Cup even though he's likely to be off the 30 metre mark, That would be fantastic for the locals and really add a lot of interest in the main race.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 12-22-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Flash Adios running second Newcastle Cup 1972 to Lumber King, Flash was off 60 yards behind, lost another 70 metres galloping at the start, looped the field on the tiny Newcastle circuit ( 500 metres) to sit in the death, attacked the leader and winner Lumber King from the time he got to the death!!!..then got beat half a neck!!!!

That one will do me, certainly the best run ever seen in a Newcastle Cup, regardless of the venue!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Flash Adios running second Newcastle Cup 1972 to Lumber King, Flash was off 60 yards behind, lost another 70 metres galloping at the start, looped the field on the tiny Newcastle circuit ( 500 metres) to sit in the death, attacked the leader and winner Lumber King from the time he got to the death!!!..then got beat half a neck!!!!

That one will do me, certainly the best run ever seen in a Newcastle Cup, regardless of the venue!
    Totally agree with you Dan and just 1 of the many top horses to come from Peak Hill and the Handos Bronte Mare family which was the foundation mare for all our mob.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Totally agree with you Dan and just 1 of the many top horses to come from Peak Hill and the Handos Bronte Mare family which was the foundation mare for all our mob.
    Great family Greg, together with the Dayetta mob your family bred, most notably the Free Silver family, of which I still have a couple of mares. Old Flash was certainly a brilliant horse, he won 50 races including several at Harold Park, Melbourne Showgrounds and Albion Park.

A truly bonza little horse, he wouldn't have been more than 15 hands, testimony once again that the arguement that a good big horse will beat a good little horse is bullshit with a capital B.

Cheers,
    dan
    Last edited by Danno; 12-12-2014 at 11:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread