Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Restrepo and Abettorpunt Backmarkers for Sunday's Hamilton Cup

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Maorisidol View Post
    Come on guys, $15???
    Is it a chance for any Club having their "big day" to recoup/save some money, pay some bills, get some money in the bank?
    Do you not wish to financially contribute to the sport you love? is it not fair to pay something that may go to the people who run the club, people employed by the club cooking selling food, the person who looks after the numbers distributed to the Trainers, the attendants in the carpark (if any) etc, you get the idea.
    And what do you get for $15?
    Entertainment.
    10 races to watch, a day out. Watching in the flesh, horsepower racing down the front straight, drivers yelling, atmosphere, adrenalin, a punt, some fun, admiration of for example Philadelphia Man winning at Horsham, for goodness sake if that wasnt worth $15 to be there and witness that, you need to question if you really like this sport!!!
    Why should it be free? Should everything be free? What determines why you shouldnt pay to go to any trots meeting vs a cycle meeting at a velodrome or even a local footy match?
    You pay to go watch AFL, Tennis, Flemington races etc, why shouldnt you pay to go to any trots meeting, its money that can go to the club, money that goes to track maintenance, cleaning of the toilets, painting the stables maybe every 10 years, mowing the lawn, printing racebooks to be thrown in the bin...
    All great points Ash and now that you mention it, I retract my last statement as we all tend to forget how many people put their time and effort into a meeting like this. I've been to the trials and runarounds at Shepp a few times when I've been down and some people put on a sausage sizzle etc/ Tea and Coffee which is fantastic and I can't help myself with little things like this and always give the lovely lady a little tip. Your absolutely correct mate, $15 for live action and entertainment is very cheap.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by hugdon View Post
    Hey Kev I see Jadahson is in the race. I thought he was recently in a claimers! Was he claimed?. I do not follow eastern states racing closely although I like checking out the breeding of the winners every so often. This years grand circuit seems a little anti climatic without Quinnie zooming down the outside or Smoken up busting someones gut as he rolls to the front. Thanks for the info you and others put here makes for interesting reading. Cheers
    This years Grand Circuit seems a little anti climatic???????????????
    Now you did say you maybe dont keep up with eastern states racing Jim, but how do you compare these 2 fields below?
    We have the Victoria Cup field of 2012 with Quinn and Smoken you mentioned and the rest of the best of the day vs potentially the field for same race 2015.
    Which field looks better to you? Whats anyone think of comparing the talent of the 2 fields?
    Personally i think this years race is miles in front quality and excitement wise, but thats just my opinion.
    I am talking on the whole, not saying the former race isnt good by any means!

VIC CUP 2012 .............. ..... VIC CUP 2015
    I’M THEMIGHYTQUINN ..... .. BEAUTIDE
    SMOKEN UP .............. ........ CHRISTEN ME
    CARIBBEAN BLASTER ..... ..... TERROR TO LOVE
    MELPARK MAJOR ..... .......... ADORE ME
    TERRORWAY .................... GUARANTEED
    MAH SISH ........................ RESTREPO
    FRANCO JAMAR ..... .......... PHILADELPHIA MAN
    SUSHI SUSHI ..... .............. FOR A REASON
    THE GOLD ACE ..... .......... AVONNOVA
    WASHAKIE ..... ............... LENNYTHESHARK
    BITOBLISS.....
    PEMBROOK BENNY.....
    Last edited by Maorisidol; 01-14-2015 at 11:44 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    All great points Ash and now that you mention it, I retract my last statement as we all tend to forget how many people put their time and effort into a meeting like this. I've been to the trials and runarounds at Shepp a few times when I've been down and some people put on a sausage sizzle etc/ Tea and Coffee which is fantastic and I can't help myself with little things like this and always give the lovely lady a little tip. Your absolutely correct mate, $15 for live action and entertainment is very cheap.

Kev, Richard, a problem to your answer, how about a great value Harness Card for the wife??

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    Kev, Richard, a problem to your answer, how about a great value Harness Card for the wife??
    Lmfao Wayne, You know where that would end up with my boss.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Come on guys, $15???
    Is it a chance for any Club having their "big day" to recoup/save some money, pay some bills, get some money in the bank?
    Do you not wish to financially contribute to the sport you love? is it not fair to pay something that may go to the people who run the club, people employed by the club cooking selling food, the person who looks after the numbers distributed to the Trainers, the attendants in the carpark (if any) etc, you get the idea.
    And what do you get for $15?
    Entertainment.
    10 races to watch, a day out. Watching in the flesh, horsepower racing down the front straight, drivers yelling, atmosphere, adrenalin, a punt, some fun, admiration of for example Philadelphia Man winning at Horsham, for goodness sake if that wasnt worth $15 to be there and witness that, you need to question if you really like this sport!!!
    Why should it be free? Should everything be free? What determines why you shouldnt pay to go to any trots meeting vs a cycle meeting at a velodrome or even a local footy match?
    You pay to go watch AFL, Tennis, Flemington races etc, why shouldnt you pay to go to any trots meeting, its money that can go to the club, money that goes to track maintenance, cleaning of the toilets, painting the stables maybe every 10 years, mowing the lawn, printing racebooks to be thrown in the bin...
    You're probably right Ash. I suppose we are a bit spoilt by not having to pay at Melton and clubs like Stawell that make their money out of pokies and bistro.
    Having been heavily involved in football clubs that rely on member volunteers, I do not think the admittance money would be going to most of those you list but it may go toward better facilities which is often the way sporting clubs that do not have a central funding body work.
    I suppose what makes racing a little different is that it is the punting that supports the industry and to get new followers (not that that is us) you dont charge them to come unless you are putting on a big show

If we are an industry we have to be a professional one so do not paint us as a charity case (there are too many far worthier charities) Perhaps we need an industry ruling that it is $5 an adult, $10 a family at every meeting in Vic & ......
    I guess it is just a glaring anomaly that the best racing at Melton is free
    Be careful not to preach too much Ash - owners for instance contribute so much that HRV should be sending a taxi to pick them up
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Now you did say you maybe dont keep up with eastern states racing Jim, but how do you compare these 2 fields below?
    We have the Victoria Cup field of 2012 with Quinn and Smoken you mentioned and the rest of the best of the day vs potentially the field for same race 2015.
    Which field looks better to you? Whats anyone think of comparing the talent of the 2 fields?
    Personally i think this years race is miles in front quality and excitement wise, but thats just my opinion.

BITOBLISS.....
    PEMBROOK BENNY.....
    That's a little like comparing 5 $1 coins to a $5 note imo Ash.

Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit

BITOBLISS.....
    PEMBROOK BENNY.....
    2015 field has a lot more depth Ash, No doubt about that and fingers crossed we get to see this line up go around.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Lmfao Wayne, You know where that would end up with my boss.

rolf

Member Filly hugdon will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jim Nelson
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    have bought into a Lincoln Royal filly
    Second attempt to answer/clarify. Anti climatic...... I will admit Ash to being somewhat parochial after living in WA for the past 40 odd years (excuse) however I watched with great anticipation for the moment when Junior would ease Quinnie out for his run, whether it was to make ground or to sprint home the result was the same, fluttering in the belly, dry mouth the coursing of adrenalin. Now we have David Hercules as the pin up boy!!! Mind you I would not sniff at his bankroll. He won the Freo cup and will go close to taking out the pacing cup

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by hugdon View Post
    Second attempt to answer/clarify. Anti climatic...... I will admit Ash to being somewhat parochial after living in WA for the past 40 odd years (excuse) however I watched with great anticipation for the moment when Junior would ease Quinnie out for his run, whether it was to make ground or to sprint home the result was the same, fluttering in the belly, dry mouth the coursing of adrenalin. Now we have David Hercules as the pin up boy!!! Mind you I would not sniff at his bankroll. He won the Freo cup and will go close to taking out the pacing cup
    Yes, and he would be 2nd if Quinn was still around, he shouldnt bother coming Vic...

+ Reply to Thread