Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Shep Gold Cup this Saturday

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The 3rd Q seems fast but he clearly thought he had the horse to do it and he did still run the last < 28. I wonder whether he now opts for Guaranteed for toughness
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    Did Gavin go too early on Philadelphia Man or did the effort to take the lead from Lenny The Shark mid race take its toll ? Had he held PM back to the horse in the death, Franco Ledger might not have got out.
    In hindsight, Gavin probably could have held up for a bit longer but I think that the burst was designed to take the sting out of Lenny and the rest of the field, I thought the race was done and dusted on the corner, P- Man was out in front and rolling and it took a freakish performance to knock him over, Full marks to G.Webster and Franco Ledger, I had totally discounted FL after watching the SA Cup a few weeks ago when he pulled pretty hard and it would appear that Geoff has done a lot of work in a short space of time to get this fellow to settle.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 01-26-2015 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Expanded Comments

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    The 3rd Q seems fast but he clearly thought he had the horse to do it and he did still run the last < 28. I wonder whether he now opts for Guaranteed for toughness
    Obviously including Gavin, who in hell would have ever thought before the race,,, that ANYTHING, would come from 4 pegs on the turn, to run down Philly running 27.5 and 27.6 last 400?????????????

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think we are agreeing Ash - is that why you quoted me?
    I was replying to Noel asking if Gavin went too early
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Full marks to G.Webster and Franco Ledger, I had totally discounted FL after watching the SA Cup a few weeks ago when he pulled pretty hard and it would appear that Geoff has done a lot of work in a short space of time to get this fellow to settle.

Maybe the only work done was to listen to the owners / previous trainer.
    his SA performance was totally upside down to his normal race pattern. It was much more the Franco Ledger we know here who turned up on Saturday night at Shepparton. Kept to a position in the field he has always had a pretty devastating sprint to finish off.
    He got the run, He was able to produce his sprint and the end result is history.
    In saying that he really does need the position to suit and get the breaks in his races. This is why he is not regarded as in the very top echelon here and against those in the Victoria, Hunter Cups and ID, I couldn't have him. those races are not sit, sprint affairs.

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    No excuses Philly Man imo, beaten fair & square. Looked to me that Gav was trying to make a statement the way he was driven. Extremely unlike Gav to go down that path, especially as he knows PM can go a 26.5 final section.
    As far as the winner goes, I now make that 3 outstanding performances from as many outings in oz. 1st up he was as devastating late as he was Satdy night & even his last start 5th beaten 20m impressed me with the mistakes he made + racing against his true pattern. Whilst he may not be considered alongside the very best, his racing style definitely always gives him that knockout chance similar to that of a Chilli Palmer imo.

+ Reply to Thread