Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: hype and delusion

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    If all those Champions of yesteryear had the same supplements as they do today, same tracks, carts etc, I wonder how much quicker they could have gone? We can only imagine..

Senior Member Colt The Escape Club will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Robert Salathiel
    Quote Originally Posted by Maorisidol View Post
    Now i'm confused.
    Earlier you were asking Colin "From your list, why was Poppy a champion? He won a MM, Hunter Cup and QPC. A much inferior CV the others that you've thrown up."
    That question seems to infer you didnt think he should be classified a Champion...???
    But your response to me says he was the best horse you've seen...

I was just wondering why the OP had him in there with his relatively poor GR1 record compared with many others including a lot that are going around today.

Member Gelding doncht will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Don Chet
    He probably seen something on a different angle. But I can't think of anything though.

aussiebreno

I'd like to nominate one to the hype and delusion.

Not too bad considering a few have dropped out and a few have question marks after Vic and Hunter Cups but Lennytheshark is just about favourite for the Inter.

He is Beautide and Christen Me, we are talking a newbie to the Grand Circuit being alongside Miracle Mile, Interdom, Vic Cup and Hunter Cup winners.

Yes it was a nice run in the Vic Cup but I would have expected about 20 if not more horses could have filled 2nd placing with that run. 54 home and he had the box seat he was entitled to run 2nd, it would have been disappointing if he didn't.

Not that I should complain, I was able to lay off for a tidy profit after backing him at $21.

Footnote: I'm cheering for a horse I reckon others would nominate to this thread, Chilli Palmer. Not 100% sold he can qualify (given he will be sitting back in what is likely to be a sprint home) but if he can just fill third place I reckon next fortnight might be the day he gets that elusive race that is 'run to suit'. We've had two Inters where they've walked and ran home in rocket speed, surely they can put a bit of pace on this year so Chilli can run over the top of them. If not he will give them shades of Quinny at WA next year. Someone say hype and delusion?

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    I respect your opinion & I agree Lenny is yet to deserve his name alongside the other 2 u mention Breno, but I feel u are (& have not....Vic cup comment in relation to Restrepo) not giving the horse his due credit. Not only, as u pointed out, have the others fallen off their perch so to speak (+ the one who hasn't, CM, is suspect over a journey), but Lennys own cv speaks for itself. His two runs back have been super (albeit leaders back x 2) behind horses at the top of their game at the time, he is clearly leading his head 2 head battle with the horse most people believe to be the best in Vic in Gauranteed, he's a Derby winner (from a wide draw if I remember correctly) against a very very good bunch in Syd etc, etc. He did do what I expected him to do behind the leader in the Vic cup, but what made it a very good performance imo was the fact that the horse trailing him, DH, was left lamenting. It won't suprise me to see his price shorten even more after the heats tonight.

I'm loving the driving of Anthony Butt right now and if Chilli doesn't run for him then I'll be buggered. He was extremely disadvantaged though when the 1 came out. Still, $2.70 the drum at the moment looks value especially if there is a little pressure from horses 4 & 5 trying to help their fast finishing stablemates out.

Junior Member Weanling niloc will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    colin robinson

hype and delusion

it is quite apparent that the modern day 'champions' are nowhere near as tough or as durable as the true champions of the past,no wonder the people who run this sport are always changing conditions.lets go retro id, heats and final run within 21days,that will sort out all hype and bull about who really is a champ!! have a look at the atrition rate of the last month they are going down like ten pins!no koala kings, gammalites with this lot.

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    I understand where you're coming from Colin, but the current Inters format has zero to do with attrition and all to do with $$.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    I understand where you're coming from Colin, but the current Inters format has zero to do with attrition and all to do with $$.
    +1

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    Isn't Colin suggesting the old format and the old champs were tougher?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    No argument from me about the the toughness and durability of our previous champions Kev and Colin, They certainly were able to back up a lot better in the old days, The Interdom has become a bit of a farce in the last few years with the programming and I'm glad that it's going over to WA but as Brent mentioned, It's certainly being driven by the almighty punting dollar at the moment, It's very disappointing to see horses of the calibre of Guaranteed and Christen Me being scratched out and I put this down to the big races being programmed to close together and not just one authority is to blame for this, They all need to sit down and program their meetings at specific times of the year to try and attract the very best horses.

+ Reply to Thread