+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Substances

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Anybody keeping an eye on the Australia cricket saga?

We've got a pretty well defined drug classification list ranging from minor offences for therapeutic use (eg Bute) to the major stuff (eg bicarb) and the worst stuff (eg EPO). I think most people would agree other offences like whipping the horse too much or placing bets on your own horse would be deemed minor, but team driving, pulling one up, backing the opposition would be major.

On what scale does the Steve Smith offence rate in harness racing terms? Its not match fixing or performance enhancing drugs so its not at the high end of offences. Something that Bancroft/Smith have done would maybe be comparable to treating your horse with a therapeutic drug too close to race day?

Admittedly our media and fan base is on a much smaller scale to the Australian cricket side, but even proportionally speaking the public lynching of Smith is way, way worse than any of our guilty trainers cop. It really shows societies standards in sport and why our game needs to enforce tougher rules on cheats if we wish to secure more fans.
    No question about it Breno.

What fan likes to be dudded out. I think the whole world is hoping Usain Bolt is genuinely what he is and what he was.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I rate the Smith/Warner offense equal to a bicarb first offense. They didn't even win the match. The ICC rates it a 1 match offense as they know every team is doing it. This is the major issue that is being overlooked . I'm not saying that is an excuse for doing it. Reverse swing is only achieved by tampering with the ball, it didn't exist back in the Lillee and Thomo days. A bit strange that 2 of the best bowlers of all time couldn't make the ball reverse !

HRV should note that the big names have been caught cheating and will be made examples of with big suspensions from the authorities ! That's how you enforce integrity !
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I would have to rate it higher than that Rick. They were tampering with equipment in an attempt to win so I would have to say it would be equal to having a battery in your whip or something similar
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Bicarb is tampering with a horse in an attempt to win.
    Could be equal to carts being too wide and short ! Or arsenic fence posts
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Poms were caught doing it in India years ago, Vaseline and gauze, It’s quite comical watching Bancroft doing it, Real Z grade stuff, I played cricket for quite a few years as did Wayne(Arlington) Rick is absolutely right, Thomson and Lillee couldn’t get the ball to reverse nor the Mighty West Indian bowlers, The Pakistani’s were masters for getting the ball to reverse swing, There were many ways to get a ball to retain the shine, Zinc cream was one but reverse swing consists of 1 side of the ball being scuffed up and Bancroft was speeding up the process and pretty stupid to be involved, He’ll be lucky to get another Cap, Smith and Warner(Big Guns) will both cop a hefty penalty, Politicans and Media are all over it so I’m expecting that the fines and penalty’s will be fitting, As far as comparing it, I would say that team driving or pulling a horse would compare.

Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Almost every test match I watch these days you will see the umpires warning the players to stop deliberately throwing the ball back to the keeper on the bounce. This is done to rough the ball up or to cover up the scratches they are deliberately putting on the ball with something rough. I think it's time that they should replace the ball as soon as it starts to reverse. As you only achieve this via ball tampering.
    Also strange how the ICC think it's a 1 match crime but Cricket Aus think it's a 1 year crime. If it was harness racing they would appeal and only do the 1 match or less ! Wonder If Smith will turn up on Ch 9 or Fox as a commentator during his break. He still needs to make a living. And as for ruining the sport I'm more interested in the next test much more than I was in the first 3 !
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    3 strikes, 4 charges over 1 weekend 9 months ago, 55 wins this season while these charges have been hanging over the stables head, It’s going to be an interesting outcome, I think a very long spell on the sidelines is in order if found guilty
    http://www.jca.org.nz/non-race-day-h...r-mr-t-utikere

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Interesting, Thanks Tony

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am not saying that they did but I do wonder how

"The RIU do acknowledge that neither of the respondents intentionally administered Caffeine to the horses in order to gain any competitive advantage."

How do they know this?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Everyone might as well just pack up now, that is laughable on several fronts, not the least of which the substance classification which has had significant bearing on the penalty.......quick question Teecee does NZ have a current Prime Minister by the name of Dunn?? just asking 'cos our PM is Turnbull.

+ Reply to Thread