Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Ghost Tracks.... Where are they?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Traralgon Racecourse - like Bairnsdale still used by other racing codes.

A half mile circuit which ran TAB and non-TAB meets from 1975-1995.

This pic taken in June last year - the dogs are rebuilding their track and a grandstand in the middle so this may take over some of the track.

Facilities at Traralgon were probably the best of the smaller clubs with a nice big grandstand and two large lounge areas, plus downstairs bookies ring and bar, and brick stalls blocks (one of the advantages of sharing with the gallops)
    Attached Images

Junior Member Foal John Adams will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    John Adams
    Trotting in Melbourne has had a few different homes. The first base of the sport was at Elsternwick Park, on the corner of St Kilda Road and Hotham Street. After 10 years the lease was not renewed and the sport in the 1890's appeared at Croxton and Richmond, but was "red hot". In 1906 John Wren took over Richmond, Ascot and Croxton (Fitzroy) and he centered trotting at Richmond where a weekly meeting was held until it closed in 1932. The trots then went to Ascot, opposite the Showgrounds where they were quite popular until it was shut in 1942.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Flemington’s forgotten neighbour: Ascot Racecourse shown in an aerial photo from the WW11 era.

You can see Flemington, the Showgrounds and Ascot...what was the training track in the top left corner?

http://wongm.com/2011/10/ascot-racec...ale-melbourne/
    Attached Images

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Whyalla on Sky2 today has the look of a ghost track.
    It is a port town but blind Freddy can tell by the landscape they do not get very much rain
    They only have 2 meets for the yr. (Supposed to be SA's 3rd biggest town)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    The showgrounds at Horsham...the home of the Wimmera Trotting Club.
    They now race on a track inside the gallops track.
    I wonder if this is used for training?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...30a0d530?hl=en

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    I remember winning a race as a junior on the old Elmore track. Is it still in use anyone?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    The showgrounds at Horsham...the home of the Wimmera Trotting Club.
    They now race on a track inside the gallops track.
    I wonder if this is used for training?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...30a0d530?hl=en
    I remember reading in the recent history of Horsham Trotting by John Peck that the Showgrounds/Agricultural Society had a pretty chequered history with the Trotting club
    I recently read in the local paper that that Dog track has received good $ for development.
    The good new track being so close to the old track it is probably unlikely that anyone uses it
    I intend to go to the Field Days there in about a month's time so I will have to check it out Noel
    I lived in the town for 1yr in the 70's and went to every sporting event going and yet I have no vivid memory of the trots (I must have been drinking too much as a young fella - I was living in the pub!)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Njcstables View Post
    I remember winning a race as a junior on the old Elmore track. Is it still in use anyone?
    Was that pre or post Tanabi Bromac's Vic Derby win (2008) Nathan Pretty sure Keith was at Elmore then.
    Still very much used as a training track, pretty sure they still run quali trials.
    Last edited by arlington; 02-09-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    Flemington’s forgotten neighbour: Ascot Racecourse shown in an aerial photo from the WW11 era.

You can see Flemington, the Showgrounds and Ascot...what was the training track in the top left corner?

http://wongm.com/2011/10/ascot-racec...ale-melbourne/

I think that might be what was known as the Maribyrnong track Noel. Wasn't far from the Ordinance factory and what's now Highpoint Shopping Centre from memory. Don't know much about it's history, stumbled across it early - mid eighties driving by. Was still in use, going by the hooves/shoes and sulky wheel marks.
    Only my thoughts at the time, even though the Showgrounds were still used for training for a time after shifting to the Valley, maybe the trainers along the Maribyrnong River used this track. Pretty sure Phonse Hickey, for one, was located there and also a lady, Mrs Parker, who made a lot of the trainer's/driver's colours.

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    Was that pre or post Tanabi Bromac's Vic Derby win (2008) Nathan Pretty sure Keith was at Elmore then.
    Still very much used as a training track, pretty sure they still run quali trials.
    They used to run restricted meeting there a long wjile ago.Also had a few trainers there Cliff Powell Max Wishart Gavin Holmes John Cakebread and Faye Mcewan to name a few i remember

+ Reply to Thread