Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Ghost Tracks.... Where are they?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    They used to run restricted meeting there a long wjile ago.Also had a few trainers there Cliff Powell Max Wishart Gavin Holmes John Cakebread and Faye Mcewan to name a few i remember

Wasn't that long ago barney 'laughs'. I've been to a couple of Elmore Cups@Elmore. And adding to your list, obviously Keith Cotchin, Neville Welsh and fairly sure Chris Hildebrandt use/d the track. Some great trainers.

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    Wasn't that long ago barney 'laughs'. I've been to a couple of Elmore Cups@Elmore. And adding to your list, obviously Keith Cotchin, Neville Welsh and fairly sure Chris Hildebrandt use/d the track. Some great trainers.
    Forgot about Chris his mother worked on telephone exchange that is how long ago im talking.Nevile welsh came later as did Cotchin dont think Max Wishart still has horses was a good driver in his own right

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Forgot about Chris his mother worked on telephone exchange that is how long ago im talking.Nevile welsh came later as did Cotchin dont think Max Wishart still has horses was a good driver in his own right

Definitely no party lines when I last went.

Senior Member Colt G-Mac will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Glen McWilliams
    Horses
    Jewel Castle Diamond Castle
    Wyong. Still there inside the gallops track but not used for anything as far as I know.
    Also the reason for the seemingly random grand stand at the top of the home straight.

My attempt at attaching the google link failed.
    Last edited by G-Mac; 02-09-2015 at 02:08 PM. Reason: tech failure

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Glen
    I hope you don't mind but I've added the Google Maps link to the ghost trotting track inside the gallops track at Wyong.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...1632e010?hl=en

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    Was that pre or post Tanabi Bromac's Vic Derby win (2008) Nathan Pretty sure Keith was at Elmore then.
    Still very much used as a training track, pretty sure they still run quali trials.
    That would have been mid to late nineties Wayne. At the time their was a heap of trainers at Elmore, and a huge at the races that day too.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    It's Hunter Park at Elmore...
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...30a08d20?hl=en
    named after the Hunters Robert and son Alex ( AG Hunter) who lived at Burnewang Park, Hunter ( good to have a township named after yourself)
    Hunter is about 8ks towards Raywood from Elmore. Globe Derby was there at some point in the 1920's in the 60 horse , two story brick stables that are still on the property.
    Check out Hunter on Googlemaps and you can see the house and stables at the end of a very long tree-lined driveway.

Globe Derby won a pacing race at The Bendigo Jockey Club track at Epsom as a 13yo, driven by Billy Tompkinson from Rochester, later to become leading trainer in New Zealand.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Njcstables View Post
    That would have been mid to late nineties Wayne. At the time their was a heap of trainers at Elmore, and a huge at the races that day too.
    Was only thinking the other day, the last Elmore meeting I went to was a huge crowd...even had to queue up for the scones Kev!
    A trip down memory lane Nathan lol. Had been searching for my first winner but records don't go back that far...digital records that is! Was actually at Traralgon, a Sat arvo meeting, Hunter Cup day.... a mare from a stand
    Attached Images

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Was only thinking the other day, the last Elmore meeting I went to was a huge crowd...even had to queue up for the scones Kev!
    A trip down memory lane Nathan lol. Had been searching for my first winner but records don't go back that far...digital records that is! Was actually at Traralgon, a Sat arvo meeting, Hunter Cup day.... a mare from a stand
    A franchise coming soon to a track near you!
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Junior Member Foal bowie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Bowen
    Occupation
    carer
    Horses
    screamin demon clomavidale striking girl
    Having attended the Macau selling trials back in Bendigo years ago. l was a passenger of 2 famous harness racers Mr Ian McCallum and one Ted Glasheen Yes of Father Brian's brother well Ted pointed out to us that the long row of gum trees which ran along the fenceline of the Inglewood Golf Course (closest to town end of the course) was the only surviving remmants of the Inglewood Trotting club Ted also mentioned that it was one the places he had a lot of success in the very earlier days.
    But also hanging around with Mr Maca l can remember racing at Minyip,Wentworth,and of course our other tracks that were closed Wedderburn,Boort, Ouyen St Arnuad,Birchip Donald,Robinvale the old Horsham track which was located on the river & our latest o closure would be the Nyah track outside of Swanhill. they were all famous clubs in there own right like l think Wedderburn was the oldest club in Victoria or it may have been Boort it was one or the other.

+ Reply to Thread