Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Ghost Tracks.... Where are they?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge

Woodend Trotting

They raced at Woodend.
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...30a0d220?hl=en
    The remnants can be seen here of both the gallop and trotting tracks.. The Woodend Cup (gallops) has been held at Kyneton for some years.

One of the Abraham brothers, either Harry or Frank of Meadowbrook Stud fame (Gyro, Convivial etc) was President of the Woodend Trotting Club.

Here are 2 races ( from the results compiled by John Peck) with one time leading Australian sire Noble Scott winning at 2 consecutive meetings

WOODEND TC 31-12-1945
    DISTANCE (2:23) – 45 pounds – One & quarter miles
    H & F Abrahams bh NOBLE SCOTT, scr (R Males) 1
    Jim Dalla, scr 2
    Royal Clay, scr 3
    Others: Great Dalla (scr), Flower Derby (scr), Bonnie Pedro (scr), Lucky Man (scr), Sir Dalla (36yds), Admiral Wilkes (60yds)
    Margins: 2yds X 10yds Time: 2m 52 1/4s

WOODEND TC 01-01-1946
    DISTANCE (2:27) – 45 pounds – One & half miles
    H & F Abrahams bh NOBLE SCOTT, scr (R Males) 1
    Great Dalla, scr 2
    Native McGregor, scr 3
    Others: Billy Ruhon (scr), Bonnie pedro (scr), Royal Clay (scr), Lucky Man (scr), High Lawn (scr), Northern Miss (scr), Sir Dalla (12yds), Dons Joy (12yds), Senor Wilbur (24yds), Admiral Wilkes (36yds)
    Margins: 2yds X 8yds Time: 3m 40 1/2s
    Last edited by Adaptor; 02-18-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    Names from the past Great Dalla was Clarrie Long a great guy who loved to help young people get into sport Ken Pococks father in law

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    One of the Abraham brothers, either Harry or Frank of Meadowbrook Stud fame (Gyro, Convivial etc) was President of the Woodend Trotting Club.
    Pretty sure the house can you see from the main road is one of the original houses. But the property mostly subdivided. Right on the edge of Riddells Creek township now. Few roads there named after the horses. Gyro Close, Argent (Gyros mum I think) Close and also Meadowbrook Way.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Woodend served as an important venue for trotting during WWII - before the government took control of the sport Woodend was one of the few trotting tracks in Victoria to operate.

Trotting ceased there I believe in the early 1950s according to this article from The Argus from '52.

Gallops racing wound up there in 1982.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Another track that was among the pioneers in Victoria but is no longer - Healesville

The overhead shot appears to show an outline of a track - but I would have thought if the old track there was a half mile or so it would have been bigger, as the gallops track is only around 1400 metres in circumference.

Opened in 1948 and closed in 1972 and moved to nearby Yarra Glen. Birthplace of the famous "Melbourne Cup Day trots".
    Attached Images

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    That would have to be something else Kyle. I once had the chance/wanted to buy a 7 acre triangle that finished roughly where the C726 is on the map.
    I cannot get over how good the willow plantation looks - I was always told they were to be future cricket bats
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling hillbillydeluxe will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Michael Freeman
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    now-Generals Daughter & Passaic River
    For those on or near the Central Coast of NSW may recall the Gosford Trotting track which was used in the 90's as a training track for a few locals, not sure whatever happened to it.

Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Gosford raced on a track around the outside of the dog track. When the dog track was rebuilt and converted to sand it was enlarged and took over the trotting track. Perhaps 15 years ago?

Senior Member Colt djgood will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Goodhand
    Occupation
    trainer
    Horses
    Couple of squaregaiters
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post
    Gosford raced on a track around the outside of the dog track. When the dog track was rebuilt and converted to sand it was enlarged and took over the trotting track. Perhaps 15 years ago?
    22-25 years ago shut down just as I got my licence the speedway took over first then the greyhounds took over the lot and built the new track

Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    A recent photo of the Gosford facility. The harness track would not have been very big by the looks
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread