Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a place for Standing Start races if we are looking to maximize market share

Junior Member Weanling niloc will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    colin robinson
    how many people were consulted in the 8o's when the so called experts in this country assumed that mobile racing was the only gig in town.The fact that the tracks were too small never entered these erudite minds.lets get back to sanity and have a nice balanced fare instead of the tripe we have been served up.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Cobram Cup..worth over $30,000 and its a standing start.
    Check out the stewards reports.
    http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...O271215&ms=vic

12 starters, and ONLY 2 went away the way they were supposed to. The other 10 galloped out, began badly or stood flat footed.
    The $2.60 fav Hector Jay Jay stood flat footed and was pulled up. Stewards report NO ACTION TAKEN.

To add to the debacle (another standing start)
    In the Cobram Trotters Cup, 6 of the 12 starters finished further than 193 metres from the winner. Effectively only 6 horses competed. Another terrible spectacle.
    Last edited by Adaptor; 12-27-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Noel,
    if we were running one mobile race every cracker night, and almost no mobile trials we would get similar stats, surely to Christ we have learned that all mobile racing is NOT the answer to our industry's issues.....if we haven't then I'd reckon we ( trotting..oops harness people) are the slowest learners on earth.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Noel,
    if we were running one mobile race every cracker night, and almost no mobile trials we would get similar stats, surely to Christ we have learned that all mobile racing is NOT the answer to our industry's issues.....if we haven't then I'd reckon we ( trotting..oops harness people) are the slowest learners on earth.
    Not so sure we would get similar stats. Just from my experience in watching Greenys and 2yo trials despite there race inexperience they still a lot better at getting away from the mobile than SS horses. Lets not forget a lot of these trotters making mistakes are pretty experienced and not just stuffing up cos they usually rsce mobile.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Standing Starts as a Wagering Proposition?
    As the current business model for clubs is revenue through 10% of on-course , and a a share of off course from all providors, then we can afford to have this for punters:

From the Stewards Report for the $30,000 Cobram Cup:

Hall Of Famer, Road To Rock, Kotare Roland NZ, Ideal Majority, Macho Comacho NZ, Barimah and Smudge Bromac NZ all began badly or galloped soon after the start and as a result Hall Of Famer, Road To Rock, Kotare Roland NZ, Ideal Majority and Barimah will now be placed outside the standing start draw while Macho Comacho NZ and Smudge Bromac NZ will remain out of the draw.
    Smo NZ galloped briefly at the start and was placed on its last chance in the draw.
    The favourite: Hector Jay Jay failed to walk up to the starting point when required to do so and therefore stood flat footed and took no effective part in the start.

Mobiles for all please !

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Noel,
    Danno going back a long time ago when mobiles were not as prevelant as today but were still there.Most trainers at the end of fast work would stand horses up and let the pace away to get used to stand.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Danno going back a long time ago when mobiles were not as prevelant as today but were still there.Most trainers at the end of fast work would stand horses up and let the pace away to get used to stand.
    Something tells me Danno knows this!

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Noel, we have a handicapping problem, it is due to a number of factors and it is crippling turnover.

Some of the factors are,

a) a lower number of horses in the available pool for each meeting.

b) far too many short distance races.

c) almost all mobile starts, where the only opportunity to handicap is via barrier draw. ( this is a system that has been proven NOT to work over and over again.)

d) in NSW concessions for Junior drivers, mares and drop back clauses all being available accumulatively.

The problems caused by the COMBINATION of all these factors are many , many, short odds on favourites and who wants to have a bet in those circumstances?

I have been around a while in this silly game and heard all various gripes about the various issues, but we have painted ourselves into a corner of predictability and mate it IS NOT WORKING.

please save me from explaining why just one of the things ( standing starts) that has applied considerable paint to the floor, by at least trying to understand we had a vibrant, punter friendly, much more successful industry BEFORE mostly mobile racing has had its negative impact on our game.

Cheers,

Danno.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    We did have Odds On faves in all but the trot at Bendigo tonight with 5/7 winning.
    Many of them were very short but the shortest price fav at $1.04 was beaten and it's ridiculous to think that that horse was a 2yo having its first start in a 5 horse field - harness punters look like dills sometimes
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    I say leave the stand start alone- yes there are a lot of false starters and it can be annoying as you watch them get ready at the tapes. It is a very traditional style of racing which is why I like it and the mug punter can get a long shot winner as well. I am quite sure there are other things that are far worse to take out of harness racing than the stand start

+ Reply to Thread