Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars

Superstars from the seventies

Bold Biami is my pick, just look at the way he demolished them off 12 yards behind in the 1973 Australia Day Cup, which made him the first 4YO EVER to win 2 cups at HP, he beat all the best 3YO's in the land winning the NSW Pacers Derby and RC Simpson Sprint as well, tragically his carrer was over well before he reached his prime, he was also very unlucky in the 1973 Interdominion that was won by Hondo Grattan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_djNkbRVW4

need to be patient with this clip as the vision doesn't start till the bell lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YWl8rMw0e0

call starts about 2 minutes into this one

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    What vitamins are you guys on!
    I cannot remember things in the detail that you guys can.
    (Maybe I would win a contest on VFL knowledge however )
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Junior Member Yearling waggamick will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mick mundy
    Lucky Creed, Paleface Adios,Mount Eden, Pure Steel, Bay Foyle (& Celevale Van..because I lived in Bankstown and he was a local), Hondo Grattan, Just Too Good, Manaroa, Polo Breeze(because every time I backed him he either won or went close), Koala Frost, Cocky Raider,Welcome Advice, Don't Retreat,Intangible Command,Maoris Idol,Koala King,Dulacca Road,Daintys Daughter, Rip Van Winkle...many a FRiday night spent in a mad dash in a mates FC to just make the first at Harold Park....

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    I should probably leave these two for a '70's horses that left an impression thread'. A couple of New South Welshmen when they came south, Mitchell Victory and Al's Holiday. As a kid I thought Al was Kevin Newman's second stringer but maybe not? Al won the Kilmore Cup with B Gath driving and two Sir Clive Uhr's (Qld Pacing C'ships). Both entered the first 100, $100,000 winners list. http://www.classicfamilies.net/CF/El....aspx?ListID=8 Some great 70's horses there.
    The impressionable bit, as a kid I met a very 'genial' KN. Had just flown in, midweek, to drive Sat night and somewhere after the airport managed to grab a bag of prawns wrapped in newspaper. A bit weird I thought at the time, was that a Sydney thing? 'laughs'
    Al's Holiday seemed a gentleman, docile, stayer type whereas Mitchell Victory the flashier. Like I said, an impressionable kid, no doubt the K Newman factor influencing.
    What do you think about these two horses you guys north of the Murray?

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    I should probably leave these two for a '70's horses that left an impression thread'. A couple of New South Welshmen when they came south, Mitchell Victory and Al's Holiday. As a kid I thought Al was Kevin Newman's second stringer but maybe not? Al won the Kilmore Cup with B Gath driving and two Sir Clive Uhr's (Qld Pacing C'ships). Both entered the first 100, $100,000 winners list. http://www.classicfamilies.net/CF/El....aspx?ListID=8 Some great 70's horses there.
    The impressionable bit, as a kid I met a very 'genial' KN. Had just flown in, midweek, to drive Sat night and somewhere after the airport managed to grab a bag of prawns wrapped in newspaper. A bit weird I thought at the time, was that a Sydney thing? 'laughs'
    Al's Holiday seemed a gentleman, docile, stayer type whereas Mitchell Victory the flashier. Like I said, an impressionable kid, no doubt the K Newman factor influencing.
    What do you think about these two horses you guys north of the Murray?
    They were both fantastic horses Wayne, IMO just short of superstar status, Mitchell Victory was a sensational juvenile but was unfortunate enough to be foaled in the same year as Paleface and Al's Holiday was competitive in the one or two ID's he competed in without blowing the top notchers away.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Hey Dan, What about Rip Van Winkle???

Senior Member Colt The Escape Club will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Robert Salathiel
    Court Jester is another that hasn't been listed yet.

On Credit was always a favourite of mine for some reason.

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Hey Dan, What about Rip Van Winkle???
    Superstar no doubt Rich, he was trained just over the hill at Maitland and many argued he was better than Bold Biami but I wasn't one of them, but he truly was a superstar, won everything as a 2yo and 3yo, won on the grand circuit as a 4YO but Pure Steel sat outside him and destroyed his self belief at GP, he was never the same horse after that, it truly ended his career. A few people had an opportunity to buy shares in him quite cheaply before he went to the races, and they were all kicking themselves for the rest of their lives.
    Last edited by Danno; 02-10-2015 at 11:56 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    What about the trotters: Tony Bear, Easton Light and Petite Evander?

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Superstar no doubt Rich, he was trained just over the hill at Maitland and many argued he was better than Bold Biami but I wasn't one of them, but he truly was a superstar, won everything as a 2yo and 3yo, won on the grand circuit as a 4YO but Pure Steel sat outside him and destroyed his self belief at GP, he was never the same horse after that, it truly ended his career. A few people had an opportunity to buy shares in him quite cheaply before he went to the races, and they were all kicking themselves for the rest of their lives.
    Cheers Dan, Pure Steel done the same thing to a lot of horses during his career.

+ Reply to Thread