Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Odds On Pops and Other Effects on Market Share

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by waggamick View Post
    This has been a pet peeve of mine for a few years now.
    The current Handicapping System is a disaster.
    TAB Turnover is the life blood of all codes of racing.

Most punters get their information straight from the TAB screens or from newspapers.
    A lot of my mates refuse to bet on Harness Racing in that they don't see backing Odds On pops or betting against them as viable propositions.
    Throw in the prospect of getting trapped behind runners on tracks without Sprint Lanes or caught in the pack and you can see why they'll throw the odd $5 on a dog race instead.

I did a little research using the RESULTS sections of HARNESS.Org and THEDOGS.com and looked at the SP for TAB race meetings over the last few days.
    There were 37 Harness Racing meetings in the last 7 days.
    There were 27 Dog meetings over the last 4 days.
    HARNESS RACING
    37 meetings 289 races 126 Odds On Faves (44%) of which 72 won (57%)
    DOG RACING
    27 Meetings 265 races 71 Odds On Faves (27%) of which 43 won (61%)

18 of the 37 Harness racing meetings had more than half the program with Odds On faves.
    4 of the 27 Dog meetings had more than half the program with Odds On Faves.

13 /37 harness meetings had 2 or less odds on pops at the meeting...35%.
    15/27 dog meetings had 2 or less odds on pops at the meeting....56%.

My experience is that the Pre-Post odds quoted in the morning newspapers tend to be even more conservative than the eventual Staring Prices.
    The perception out there is that there are too many poor value betting races at the Trots.

Any ideas on addressing the situation?

That's something I commented on in a similar thread a while ago. The conservative prices quoted in the papers and the ultra conservative opening quotes. For some reason we're getting a rough deal with the betting agency assessors. I used to go to the greyhounds now and then, years ago with a fairly successful trainer/punter. I wasn't that interested in punting but his rule was if it's over 4/1 forget about it. Seemed like a lot of odds on pops won. Not sure if they weighed the dogs then...the old bowl of milk to stop them. Would be interesting if the stats on short priced dogs changed once the greyhounds got fair dinkum on drugs. Eg, even as recent as G Bate being outed. Food for thought considering cobalt/Harness penalties as I did hear one corporate on RSN radio answering a similar risk factor for them (whether real or not's another thing) on thoroughbreds re closing of winning betting accounts. The cheat risk for them.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by waggamick View Post
    My experience is that the Pre-Post odds quoted in the morning newspapers tend to be even more conservative than the eventual Staring Prices.
    The perception out there is that there are too many poor value betting races at the Trots.

Any ideas on addressing the situation?
    Your 'odds on' harness figures concur with my own survey a while back Mick (posted on here)
    Maybe promote the newspaper odds as ratings and therefore punters can then consider whether the odds on offer are overs or unders. (There is of course also the question of how relevant the papers are nowadays).
    The other approach that I think I suggested after doing my survey is to have a 'Shop for Value' campaign. Spell it out that nearly half the odds on pops lose (so if you bet on them all you WILL lose) so bet against them for great value
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Staggered mobile
    Best tongue in cheek I've seen on here for a while, Brenno you know I will never stop banging that drum!

Junior Member Yearling waggamick will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mick mundy
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Best tongue in cheek I've seen on here for a while, Brenno you know I will never stop banging that drum!
    Oh yeah...the STAGGERED MOBILE.
    Its 50 years since Harness Racing employed new technology on the track...first use of the Mobile Start was 21st. May 1965.
    Okay..new carts, wheel shields,etc...low tech.
    Look at Singapore Racing and their use of TRAKUS....the Victorian Thouroughbred industry is looking at introducing it this year as well.
    http://www.turfclub.com.sg/Racing/An...akusChart.aspx

It would take a little thinking and some experimentation but I propose that horses be handicapped in 10 metre increments (a la the traditional Standing Start) and that through the use of TRAKUS (or a like GPS system) and transponders attached to each horse's headgear (or cart) that the starter can monitor the handicap position of each starter(with a sensible margin of error) as each driver using a red light/green light from the transponder keeps his/her horse at the appropriate handicap behind the moving Mobile.
    The best of both worlds.
    A broader handicapping base with the consistency of the Mobile Start.
    Better handicapped races with less Odds On chances.
    I've relayed the above thoughts to Harness Racing authorities and pundits but am yet to get a reply.
    50 years is long enough between the empl;oyment of one technical ionnovation and another.

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Like your thinking Mick but wouldn't it be simpler to have a single file mobile start? At least that way there wouldn't be horses starting in pockets that they can't manouvre out of.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    Might have to go to Noel for this one, was there a proto type built to suit Moonee Valley? Might be down in the bowels of Bendigo. Not sure if it was fixed angled arms but, anyway, the outside horses were set back.

Reckon it was used at Moonee Valley for a while. Outside horse was about a length back from pole marker.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    One of the current Victorian mobiles ( the Hygain one I think) has the cabin and arms mounted on a turntable.
    It was at Bendigo the other day having the countdown clock fixed so I was able to have the setup explained to me.
    It has the capacity to have the arms at an angle. I think the Meadowlands mobile does the same.
    In theory the outside horse is approx 2 metres in front of the pole horse, with the rest staggered accordingly.
    It works well with all off the front...but ours have trailers as well.
    Not sure when they used this last for a staggered start.
    Does anyone know?

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Reckon it was used at Moonee Valley for a while. Outside horse was about a length back from pole marker.
    Yeah your right Paul it was definitely used a m valley for a short time but the mobile was angled so the outside horses were about a length in front of inside. It was supposed to encourage horses out wide to go forward and have a crack at the lead. Not sure why it didn't last but I don't think the trainers and drivers took to it too well.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    One of the current Victorian mobiles ( the Hygain one I think) has the cabin and arms mounted on a turntable.
    It was at Bendigo the other day having the countdown clock fixed so I was able to have the setup explained to me.
    It has the capacity to have the arms at an angle. I think the Meadowlands mobile does the same.
    In theory the outside horse is approx 2 metres in front of the pole horse, with the rest staggered accordingly.
    It works well with all off the front...but ours have trailers as well.
    Not sure when they used this last for a staggered start.
    Does anyone know?

Thanks for that Noel, you're a wealth of information. Did they interview you for the role of the new Indiana Jones?
    You've refreshed my memory a bit, was developed for the mile(?) races to even out the start. Field size limited to all off the front. As to when last used, not sure. Don't think it was still used before harness racing left the Valley.

Junior Member Yearling waggamick will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mick mundy
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    Like your thinking Mick but wouldn't it be simpler to have a single file mobile start? At least that way there wouldn't be horses starting in pockets that they can't manouvre out of.
    If I understand the idea of single file as one long line then without some form of electronic monitoring you would end up with limitations on the handicap spread and a fanning out process after the start that would see banks of horses going into first turns..particularly on smaller tracks.

+ Reply to Thread