Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How can it be good for Australia to have the NZers come and take all the prizemoney?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Question How can it be good for Australia to have the NZers come and take all the prizemoney?

Controversial Kev again but how can it be good for our struggling industry to see so much money go across the ditch?
    Add in the fact that it makes many think purchasing NZ horses makes more sense than breeding Oz
    I know they are not always this dominant but if we were doing a harness 'balance of payments' between the 2 countries, I know which one is streets ahead
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The following factory has scheduled an extra shift tomorrow to cope with a rush of conversions
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Once again the majority of it sailing away tonight
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    once again ....
    What were the NZers singing in the bar at Redwood Day
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Taking most of the Breeders Crown money
    SERIOUSLY - it has to be hurting the Australian industry doesn't it?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Mark Croatto will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark croatto
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Taking most of the Breeders Crown money , SERIOUSLY - it has to be hurting the Australian industry doesn't it?
    Not necessarily Kevin, whilst its never good that prize money goes OS the Kiwis have started buying at the Australian yearling sales, so some re-investment is happening, in particular with Mark Purdon. Hopefully that continues.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I really do appreciate that Mark and I suppose it comes down to where they spend their prizemoney. I probably would not mind as much if it was a different NZer winning most of it
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly codywinnell will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Cody Winnell
    Important to remember the Kiwis contribute about a quarter of the overall Breeders Crown prize pool and of course for the finals we only see the best Kiwis for their age group.

Futurity series are of course different to the way stake money is usually put up in that the pool these horses are racing for is actually made up of the initial fees to nominate for the Breeders Crown.

If I'm being parochial then yes, would be nice to see the Victorians dominate of course!

But I also think we saw some genuine "freak potential" horses this year. Hence the short-priced favourites.

Member Yearling cyclone george will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    greg fusinato
    Cody I have no problems with kiwis coming over and racing and winning our races,it's called a competive world. But one thing the kiwis have over the Aussies in the crown is the way it's set up (and it did benefit a horse I bred). I find it totally unfair when the kiwis just have a walkover to advance straight to the semi final about five weeks from the finals although Waikiki beach qualified in Sydney about a month ago. The locals race in full fields and only the winner goes through which makes it bloody tough on 2yo to race 4 weeks in a row . Surely make them all come here and qualify , or if you have one a group 1 or2 race you are automatically qualified for the semi . You won't get any more from nz under this way. When the heats are in vic and there's 12 spots left the first 3 go direct to the semis 2 weeks later . Have repacharges just the winners go through . It's probably not the perfect solution but having 2 horse heats are a joke,

Member Filly codywinnell will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Cody Winnell
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone george View Post
    Cody I have no problems with kiwis coming over and racing and winning our races,it's called a competive world. But one thing the kiwis have over the Aussies in the crown is the way it's set up (and it did benefit a horse I bred). I find it totally unfair when the kiwis just have a walkover to advance straight to the semi final about five weeks from the finals although Waikiki beach qualified in Sydney about a month ago. The locals race in full fields and only the winner goes through which makes it bloody tough on 2yo to race 4 weeks in a row . Surely make them all come here and qualify , or if you have one a group 1 or2 race you are automatically qualified for the semi . You won't get any more from nz under this way. When the heats are in vic and there's 12 spots left the first 3 go direct to the semis 2 weeks later . Have repacharges just the winners go through . It's probably not the perfect solution but having 2 horse heats are a joke,
    Agree with your view that 2-horse heats are unsavory and I think finding a way to change that in the future will probably become a priority. In the review that occurs with all the big meetings and carnivals I'm sure a lot will be discussed to try and improve the series for the future.
    But I also think we saw some genuine potential-freak horses this year. As Josh Dickie said tonight, "I think from yesterday's meeting we'll see at least one future NZ Cup winner..." No matter how the heats were run I'm confident most of yesterday's winners would be the same.

+ Reply to Thread