Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: How can it be good for Australia to have the NZers come and take all the prizemoney?

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    ...... Furthermore, I often read about the Purdon success story being the cause of increased buying at the sales and the money is coming back to Australia etc etc, my radar tells me this " reversing of the money" explanation does not hold water and it's impact cannot be measured as a fact. I think the impact would be minimal......
    I can count 11 yearlings bought from last year's APG sales by Mark Purdon and clients for a total spend of $743,500.

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Not quite sure if that is a for or against- you don't actually say. There are usually 200 yearlings for sale at just one APG sale, say Melbourne for example, so they bought 5%, throw in a couple of high priced yearlings at $120,000 each...big deal. Most readers in this forum would have already known those sales figures. Too easy to find that information, so what about the amount of money going out?

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Not quite sure if that is a for or against- you don't actually say. There are usually 200 yearlings for sale at just one APG sale, say Melbourne for example, so they bought 5%, throw in a couple of high priced yearlings at $120,000 each...big deal. Most readers in this forum would have already known those sales figures. Too easy to find that information, so what about the amount of money going out?
    My post was in response to your earlier assertion "Furthermore, I often read about the Purdon success story being the cause of increased buying at the sales and the money is coming back to Australia etc etc, my radar tells me this " reversing of the money" explanation does not hold water and it's impact cannot be measured as a fact. I think the impact would be minimal". It was a statement of fact, for the benefit of the apparent minority who did not already have knowledge of the extent of Purdon connected spending at our sales.
    Whether it is for or against your assertion will depend on whether or not you regard $743k as a significant amount of money.
    For you and anyone else who regards this amount as insignificant it supports your assertion.
    Personally, I believe the $743k is a big deal, making up approx 8% of the total sales revenue. So for me, the figures refute your assertion. The argument that a significant amount of money does flow back into Australia does hold water and the effect is not minimal.

Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Both of your responses have been very feeble. I wrote a post with a few questions in it and you picked the "low hanging fruit" then went back and had a look at past sales results, came up with a "statement of fact" after proving that you could count and in an attempt to support your post. You are now trying to justify your second response that there is a difference of opinion due to whether the dollar amount stated from the sales is significant depending on one's own financial situation. I expected much better and I refute your assertion about my assertion.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Another from Greg Hayes twitter.

Another Purdon stat - since start of 13/14 in Oz - 179 starters for $5,772,072 prize money. Which equates to $32,246 per starter

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Both of your responses have been very feeble. I wrote a post with a few questions in it and you picked the "low hanging fruit" then went back and had a look at past sales results, came up with a "statement of fact" after proving that you could count and in an attempt to support your post. You are now trying to justify your second response that there is a difference of opinion due to whether the dollar amount stated from the sales is significant depending on one's own financial situation. I expected much better and I refute your assertion about my assertion.
    I cannot see how stating facts is feeble Pat and I am sure that you can do much better than lead with such a sentence. Next, after asking Trevor whether his previous post was for or against, he told you but you don't seem happy about that either. Go ahead and disagree but let's not turn debates into contests
    Last edited by Messenger; 01-31-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Beautifully moderated once again Kev.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Beautifully moderated once again Kev.
    Thanks Pat. You know I am big on 'friendly'. I used to follow Carlton on Big Footy but for people who supposedly supported the same team, it sure got ugly sometimes.

Here is an embarrassing link that makes you wonder how this guy ever became a moderator! Teecee makes a point which I now live by and would summarize as 'valuing others'. The way I put it into practice when replying is by re-reading what I have written and asking myself if I would like to receive that reply. Moderating occasionally requires us to make somewhat difficult posts and I very much admire the way you replied Pat

http://www.harnessracingforum.com/sh...ith-moderation
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Messenger; 01-31-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: confession
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly hugdon will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jim Nelson
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    have bought into a Lincoln Royal filly
    With tongue firm ensconced in cheek and just for fun, if Mark Purdon win all races in which he is represented tonight at Melton (left the southern star alone) the stable will pick up a cool 564K Not bad for a nights work!! Good luck in the cup Adam

Senior Member Colt Beltane will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Jones
    By my calculations, the Mark Purdon stable only picked up $125,700 prizemoney at Melton on Saturday night. Lazurus contributed $60k of that total on what was a rather off-night for the Allstars.

+ Reply to Thread