Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 93 of 100 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast

Thread: ODDS AND ENDS - not worth a thread but worth a post

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Vale Gordon Lockman

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=31971

Gordon was on the tram to the Maribyrnong Speedway one night. The car races were rained out and the tram stopped outside the Showgrounds. Gordon wandered into the trots and never looked back.

A colourful character lost.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    I am still failing to understand why drivers bounce about and lay back in the cart when trying to get their horse over the line? Imagine pulling a wheel barrow and having the pile of manure bouncing about and trying to walk faster and straighter.

I'm willing to change my mind if someone can explain the benefits (Tried it in fast work on our racing ones after watching the US drivers on those stallion videos they used to mail breeders.. didn't work. Pretty sure the horse laughed its ass off to its mates about the drongo in the cart when it got back to the stables)

Can we start a movement to de-cool it and make drivers who do it laughing stocks?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by KTQ View Post
    I am still failing to understand why drivers bounce about and lay back in the cart when trying to get their horse over the line? Imagine pulling a wheel barrow and having the pile of manure bouncing about and trying to walk faster and straighter.

I'm willing to change my mind if someone can explain the benefits (Tried it in fast work on our racing ones after watching the US drivers on those stallion videos they used to mail breeders.. didn't work. Pretty sure the horse laughed its ass off to its mates about the drongo in the cart when it got back to the stables)

Can we start a movement to de-cool it and make drivers who do it laughing stocks?

relating to sulkies
    170. (1) A driver shall, throughout the course of a race, drive with both feet in the rests of the sulky, unless he is activating approved gear. (effective 01.11.2016)

(2) A driver shall not drive in a race with part of the driver’s body protruding beyond the sulky.

(3) A driver who fails to comply with any provision of this rule is guilty of an offence.

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    I think they are fined around $200 for this in NSW.

Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    I wonder if it's the same across all states.

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    There are drivers over here Katie that don't seem to care how much they get fined. They still lean back. Sometimes they get fined , sometimes they don't . I have always said if you want to drive like the Yanks go to America. BYE BYE.

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    There are drivers over here Katie that don't seem to care how much they get fined. They still lean back. Sometimes they get fined , sometimes they don't . I have always said if you want to drive like the Yanks go to America. BYE BYE.
    Here in NSW, and I imagine it would be Aus wide, the drivers are permitted to lean back some degree but not too far! Cannot find the article outlining the limits for clarity, perhaps someone else may have a better memory than I
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    I think you will see a fair bit of leaning back at Menangle tomorrow, noticed Andy McCarthy id down to drive a few, must be home from the states for a holiday, pretty sure if you don't lean back over there you don't get a drive! personally I think its unsafe due to limiting your vision more than anything else, there is no doubt it will reduce air drag, however, how much effect that has I don't know, I've heard the argument that leaning back reduces the weight on the horse, but it doesn't, it simply transfers that weight onto the wheels which in turn negates the "benefit".

Bouncing around in the cart is for mugs I reckon, the wheelbarrow analogy Katie used is very similar to my own "water in the wheelbarrow sloshing around" explanation........cannot POSSIBLY help the horse and most likely will hinder it.

Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    I signed up for a USTA account so I could see how a few WA horses that were sold to the states were doing but it says I have to pay for any info. does anyone have a site I can use to check their racing history in the states?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have a USTA account too Katie but rarely use it because of the $'s
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Closed Thread