Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Does It cost to Race a Pacer

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    Don't disagree Kev, and I'll swap the speed boat any day for a Breeder's Crown carriage ride
    With plenty of leg room and a Mini Bar lol.

Member Gelding Sofoulis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Sofoulis
    Occupation
    Pen pusher
    Horses
    Yayas Hot Spot, Eh Ef El, Summertime Liz
    My views on what it costs to maintain a pacer are varied depending on which trainer it is with, their training style and whether they are honest. The return, equally, depends on these variables and the underlying ability of the horse.

As for minimal costs, these would have to be the horses on deals. Less risk, less upside but fortunately you get the same enjoyment when they run a cracking race!
    Deals I have been involved with ranged from 30% (owner) and 70% (trainer) for tried horses to 50/50 (for younger horses or horses with more upside potential to the trainer). The risk with these deals is that some trainers just 'sack' a horse without giving sufficient warning enabling you to find a new trainer without having to go begging.

As for paying up, I think the $40-$50 per day seems to be an average. Some trainers charge more but absorb all other costs (shoeing etc.).

Of course, this is just the training costs... then there is the transport, registration etc. [And, of course, the biggest cost in my experience has been dealing with untrustworthy trainers - I will not slander, but suffice to say, I happily now pay premium rates for trainers whom I trust].

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good reply Adam - I have now edited my post 7
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    I think Adam is right on the mark with his comments, I believe that certainly trainers charge $1600 per month but this figure can vary with the other odds and ends, Transport/Shoeing etc. Trust is the major issue, A friend of mine had a horse in NSW but was struggling with the payments so I took a small share, We would go along every couple of weeks to watch the horse working, She's going real good was the story I kept hearing, Slipped the old stop watch in my pocket and she was running quarters in 34, Said to my friend, This guys having a lend of you, Friend wouldn't hear if of it, First start at Bankstown, 25 metres behind the 2nd last horse, Friend was gutted, Trainer said, What do you want to do, I said put her in the paddock and don't touch her. Now this is well in the past and you learn from your mistakes and the people that I am now connected with aren't just trainers, They are my friends as well and the have all really helped me out but it's a struggle. I think anyone looking at getting into the game could take a share in a syndicate and this way the expense is shared around, Have a real good think about who will be training the horse and it's not hard to find out about a trainer and his or her reputation.

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Adam, with your 30/70 and 50/50 deals is that before or after trainer /driver percentages and pay ups if applicable?

Member Gelding Sofoulis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Sofoulis
    Occupation
    Pen pusher
    Horses
    Yayas Hot Spot, Eh Ef El, Summertime Liz
    Hi Bailey - always the % of whatever lands in the bank account after trainer/driver %'ers. (i.e. the trainer will get 30% or 50% of the prizemoney the owners receive)... I think this is fair because if it was paid up for, they would still get their trainer/driver %'ers.

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Thanks Adam, on that return 26.25% and 43.75% (after percentages deducted) your horses must perform well to recover their purchase price. Seems a good deal for the trainer who can pull out of the deal any time, as mentioned previously.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Bailey the info shared by everyone in this thread is pretty close to the mark but can vary quite a bit depending on where you are and local costs etc, however I would stress that getting into the game as an owner is NOT normally an avenue for making money, it's more an avenue for having fun and hoping to cover your ex's, but not necessarily expecting to, there is a bucket load of fun to be had and the thrills are a real treat when the ball is bouncing your way....it just doesn't always bounce your way.

Like many things that are fun, it's not about making money...but if you do, great!

I don't think anyone has mentioned entry costs and I personaly recommend people entering the game start with an established racehorse, so they can go to the races and have some fun ASAP, you can buy country front performers that will provide a couple of wins ( in most circumstances) for around 6/7K, you can take it up or down from there but usually you get what you pay for with an established horse.

cheers,
    Dan

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Dan, thanks for that and your point well made. I was hoping by starting this thread it may lead to a possible promotional idea the encourage people into the sport.
    The younger generation imo are more "return" opportunities minded than the older generation who are involved for the love of it.
    Our future lies in getting more young ones involved but we seem to lack a story to tell.
    Greyhounds are a cheaper option whilst the thoroughbreds are a "status " and "networking " thing.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    This is where I fear not having a true Metro track hurts us. I can imagine a dozen mates regularly gathering at MV and enjoying themselves, chipping in 2k each to cover the price of a cheap horse and racing costs for a year - maybe better still, finding a trustworthy trainer who knows how they might be able to lease a couple for that. They enjoy the sport at a whole other level hoping to have one make it Metro one day.
    Going to the trots is not going to be today's young ones whole night and somehow I do not see it happening at Melton. Sorry if I am getting off track (excuse the pun)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread