Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Does It cost to Race a Pacer

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin

What Does It cost to Race a Pacer

It may be interesting to hear from those actively involved to relate their knowledge in this regard. To get a group together to race a pacer, what would be the projected chances of making a quid.
    The obvious costs are Trainers fees, shoeing etc, then from prizemoney you must subtract trainers percentage,driver percentage, driver fee. How much is left to cover costs?

What standard of performance is required to make it work. Lets say a pacer of moderate ability. Everyone dreams of a champ but lets look at the greater number of racing stock.

Replies to this could help to sell the idea of getting involved in the sport, not just for fun but make that quid.

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Excellent thread Bailey! I have always wondered about this!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am afraid I have to be a party-pooper and state that anyone getting into ownership to make a quid not just for fun has a 95% chance of being disappointed.
    If you are only going into it to make a quid then think of it as being a bit like tattslotto - you have to have a ticket to keep the dream alive but it is a real longshot that it is going to come true
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge

Not Necessarily So...

From the Bendigo Harness Racing Club website: www.bhrc.com.au

What a Beauty: Bendigo Owner's Race Syndicated Stars

From Bendigo owner Tim Coates
    I was introduced to harness racing in the 1990s by passionate harness racing identity Alan Prentice. We took a 10% share of leased horses that were trained in Bendigo by Gary Donaldson. We had quite a few wins, but raising four children with my wife Linda became a priority during that period of time.
    in 2010 I was invited to join a syndicate to lease and race an Armbro Operative/Secret Life filly. We were also offered at share in a LIve or Die/Larrakeyah filly.
    These were subsequently named Beauty Secret and The Good Times both trained at Ballarat by Emma Stewart. We were so pleased that we said yes to both.

They have since gone on to win over 40 races between them.
    Beauty Secret ( pictured above) 53 starts: 24 wins , 10 seconds, 4 thirds for $391.336 to date and is now the second fastest female in Australasia due to her second to Adore Me in the Ladyship Miles lasr Sunday
    The Good Times: 47 starts, 17 wins, 7 seconds, 3 thirds for $178,004 to date.
    The horses are owned by Bruce and Craig Cameron and Peter Gleeson.
    Since purchasing a 10% share in both "Beauty" and "Goodie" the Camerons have bred and extended their stable to 12 horses with many more foals and yearlings to follow.
    Other horses to do well include:
    Major Secret: 20 starts, 10 wins, 4 seconds, 2 thirds, including the 2014 NSW Pacer's Derby, and the 2015 Central Victorian Championship.
    Lovelist:10 starts, 6 wins, 1 third
    Punchline: 21 starts,, 11 wins, three seconds and three thirds

I get so much pleasure in watching syndicate members involvement in following the horses, and we have made so many new friends in NSW, South Australia and closer to home in Victoria.
    Yes, we have been very fortunate,and we have had our fair share of luck. But the buzz and enjoyment of just one winner, your horse going over the line first is hard to put into words.
    Leasing a horse with friends is a great way for social interaction,and may provide you with many fantastic moments and memories at the track.
    Video: Beauty Secret beats The Good Times in Race 7 at Ballarat on January 30th
    http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...A300115&ms=vic

Beauty Secret ( below)
    Interested in owning, or leasing and racing a trotter or pacer?
    Contact Harness Racing Victoria Raceapaper: http://www.raceapacer.com.au/raceapacer/
    Attached Images

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I am afraid I have to be a party-pooper and state that anyone getting into ownership to make a quid not just for fun has a 95% chance of being disappointed.
    If you are only going into it to make a quid then think of it as being a bit like tattslotto - you have to have a ticket to keep the dream alive but it is a real longshot that it is going to come true
    Kev, I'm not talking about winning tattslotto....but to go with your reply...those little returns each week,month etc that keep you trying, without damaging the weekly budget. What performance standard would be required vs costs.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The average stakesmoney per starter for 2013-14 was $9,809. After you take out all those expenses the average horse is in the red I am afraid
    Note that that is per starter so to give yourself a chance at that you would probably want to buy yourself a going proposition for many do not make it to the start
    This is why we should be picking up owners/breeders in limousines and wining and dining them at the track for nicks as they are 'supporting' the industry that we all enjoy

http://www.harness.org.au/hra/annual...takes_info.pdf
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    Kev, I'm not talking about winning tattslotto....but to go with your reply...those little returns each week,month etc that keep you trying, without damaging the weekly budget. What performance standard would be required vs costs.
    I am not the right one to be answering that - I got out of ownership almost as quick as I got into it (many years ago). You need Paul, Rich, Grant, Robert, Wayne, Danno, Ben, Leigh, David, Greg, Harvey, Adam ........ to reply to this.
    Last edited by Messenger; 03-05-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    bailey martin
    The average stakesmoney per starter for 2013-14 was $9,809. After you take out all those expenses the average horse is in the red I am afraid
    Note that that is per starter so to give yourself a chance at that you would probably want to buy yourself a going proposition for many do not make it to the start
    This is why we should be picking up owners/breeders in limousines and wining and dining them at the track for nicks as they are 'supporting' the industry that we all enjoy

http://www.harness.org.au/hra/annual...takes_info.pdf
    Can't argue with that.

What does surprise from those stats is over 50% are winners, only 11.7 starts per year and an average of $ 838 per start.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Just to get the ball rolling and keep the dream alive.

I can't contribute much in regards to costs of having a horse trained but as my name was mentioned. For me, as an example, ownership is like buying/owning, running, maintaining and upgrading a speed boat.
    Only a guesstimate for those in a better position than I, would the equivalent of (in Vic) 2 country front wins and 6...7...8 placing's keep the dream alive?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes

Don't disagree Kev, and I'll swap the speed boat any day for a Breeder's Crown carriage ride

+ Reply to Thread