Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What Does It cost to Race a Pacer

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    That may have been lost in the planning Kev. Going to the trots is not going to be today's young ones whole night and somehow I do not see it happening at Melton. Sorry if I am getting off track
    I think that is definitely relevant. Even if we're not talking about a Metro performer there are plenty of races for country front horses, and who wouldn't like to see their horse running around at the "city" track.

Bailey do you think marketing and promotion should lean toward a certain age group and what would be the age where the younger generation start to have discretionary income?

Senior Member Colt djgood will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Goodhand
    Occupation
    trainer
    Horses
    Couple of squaregaiters
    If it's one I own I budget $3000 per year, I charge $120 a week for outside horses that includes shoeing and supplements ,

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Wayne, you and Kev are both 100% on track location, both Melton and Menangle will not get the after work crowd that Gloucester Park get. They have instead gone for asset based ownership of the property and rely on TAB turnover.
    In relation to age group, it astounds me the money spent for tickets for concerts and other head banging activities. That would obviously change come marriage,children and home set up, so a gap develops for disposable income, then once established, they may consider getting involved in some form.
    I could be way off the mark and facts may exists to prove me totally wrong. I would love to know the average age of harness racing owners.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    Wayne, you and Kev are both 100% on track location, both Melton and Menangle will not get the after work crowd that Gloucester Park get. They have instead gone for asset based ownership of the property and rely on TAB turnover.
    In relation to age group, it astounds me the money spent for tickets for concerts and other head banging activities. That would obviously change come marriage,children and home set up, so a gap develops for disposable income, then once established, they may consider getting involved in some form.
    I could be way off the mark and facts may exists to prove me totally wrong. I would love to know the average age of harness racing owners.
    If this is not known then the administrators need to find it out for how else are they to cater for these owners - making what may be a big assumption here - that they realize the importance of owners and are actually trying to make the owners experience the best it possibly can be

Going on some threads we have had on the industry/owners, I am not sure my assumption is justified
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    For sure, compared to previous generations. Introduction to the sport would still be through punting but there's now an opportunity to promote ownership earlier. Doesn't mean they'll maintain ownership as other financial responsibilities increase but if it's a good experience they might return.

Other's have highlighted the possible pit falls with finding a trainer and along with that racing integrity would be a priority when venturing into ownership. Not focussing just on drug free racing as there is a belief/opinion punters don't care but the transition to ownership would be influenced. I say belief/opinion as the alternative is punters don't care if drugs are not used. It's the level playing field that prospective owners are after.

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by djgood View Post
    If it's one I own I budget $3000 per year, I charge $120 a week for outside horses that includes shoeing and supplements ,
    David at your training rates and the industry averages published you give hope to covering costs and putting a little into the bank for the next one.
    Good luck and many winners

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    I agree with the comments directed @ Melton. People I speak to regarding trots say to me, they never will consider Melton to be anything like MV was. The reasons are many.. People would rather dabble ownership & even training dogs for a thrill. Is cheaper for sure.

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    Hi Bailey
    I guess a lot of people are a bit reluctant to put up figures on the internet.
    I will throw up some figures for you just to give you an idea.
    I am a hobby trainer who works a 45 hour full time job.
    I have 4 horses in work mostly old 100+ starters who really only need management & "ticking over" more so than hard work between races which suits
    my situation.
    3 cost me money & 1 pays his way so lets look at him as an example...C2 Gelding
    He was given to me early December 2014 so lets work on a 12 week block for this exercise.

He has had 10 starts for me
    1 x 1st...1:58
    1 x 2nd
    4 x 3rd
    1 x 4th
    3 x clangers

$4261.00 in prizemoney for the 12 weeks(I place him where I hope he can earn)

"Approx" costs on average from what I have seen around the place if he was being trained for a syndicate
    $2500....12 weeks training
    $475 farrier
    $280 chiro/muscle massage
    $500 travel
    + supplements/poultice/bandages/etc

"Approx"$4000.00 for 12 weeks depending on a few varying factors

So as you can see even though the horse is performing admirably he is still flat out making any money.
    Average prizemoney & the pure fact that he has to be placed in the "cheaper" races is a major factor
    which would obviously change massively from state to state.

This is a general outline for you although it's a bit of a "how long is a ball of string" type of question with way too many variables.
    Having said that I am pretty sure that this scenario would be fairly close to the mark for alot of hobbyists.

Senior Member Colt djgood will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Goodhand
    Occupation
    trainer
    Horses
    Couple of squaregaiters
    David at your training rates and the industry averages published you give hope to covering costs and putting a little into the bank for the next one.
    Good luck and many winners
    Thanks
    Last season I showed a little profit and owners were largely happy ,
    This year I'm a little behind -one 2nd a few 4ths but I have two 2yo trotters that look like turning that trend around
    the horses they own aren't the best , I shoe my own to drop costs and do deals and buy supplements in bulk

Real Name
    bailey martin
    James, thanks for sharing that. My opinion of a 100+ starter with that record, good stuff. If he was a young horse in better races I expect his earning could be greater whereas his costs would remain the same.
    Good luck with your team.

+ Reply to Thread