Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where are all the 'Trotting' enthusiasts

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Where are all the 'Trotting' enthusiasts

This is supposed to be my weekend off in Vic

http://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm...&fromstate=vic
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker
    Where are they ?

They were probably, like me, checking in on Ireland v Zimbabwe after Pakistan beat Sth Africa.

I've never been more disinterested in a feature race night ever. I don't know whether it's a hangover from ID15 but that was brutal tonight.

Real Name
    Bob Parker
    5 x G1 but only one worthy of it.

The 2 elimination heats can't be G1, that's complete nonsense and nor should the Prince and Princess.

I know they've dialed it down, 50K buys you G1 status nowadays but that shouldn't mean you use it.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by HaroldParker View Post
    5 x G1 but only one worthy of it.

The 2 elimination heats can't be G1, that's complete nonsense and nor should the Prince and Princess.

I know they've dialed it down, 50K buys you G1 status nowadays but that shouldn't mean you use it.
    Dont you appreciate top horses regardless of gait showing their "star" ability?
    Gavin Lang in his after race interview (Claudys Princess) said that he and most likely any driver who has driven an absolute top trotter, will more than likely agree that sitting behind a top level trotter gives a better feel than driving any top pacer!
    Race 1 a NSW Derby and 3YO Breeders Crown winner leads all the way at odds on in yes a mediocre event.
    Race2 Star 3YO filly leads all the way to win easily at odds on, extends her races in Aust to 7 wins and a 2nd from 8 starts. You say boring? Whats the difference here between Divisive drawing the pole and winning at odds on??...nothing.
    Race 3 GSS heat, nice little change of form for Sheemon to roll Keystone Del and put more spice into GSS
    Race 4 GSS Heat, Stent at his best. pre race assumption that Spidergirl will lead and hopefully recapture some form after some bad barriers and standing start bugger ups so there is hope and willingness for a champ who has been not racing well to rise up, but wasnt to be. another great return to form for Kyvalley Blur tho who had been in the wilderness.
    Race 5 sensation at the start when the 2 HOT Favs gallop changing the complexion of the race 1000%
    Race 6 Invitation Drivers event won by Knud Monster on new NZ import. not a great race to be fair
    Race 7 Watching a great 2yo, now 3yo Eljaykay Phoenix win his 12th race out of 15 coming up against the ever improving Illawong Armstrong who had a bad barrier draw but put it to the Fav in the straight and we can see in future races this result can be different with different barrier draws
    Race 8 Claudys Princess steps up to open class from her 3yo year, sits in the death and wins with a classic cool Gav Lang drive rating 1:58.7 over 1720m, makes it 15 wins from 22 starts.
    Race 9 GSS Final great race great winner great to be there and see it on track.
    Race 10 Monte was actually a good race to watch based on the Fav vs the 10yo revitalised Si Capisco being ridden by 18yo Michelle Monster from Denmark. Michelle didnt "give way" to the Fav like previously and this made the race a race! Congrats to Jodi Quinlan who trained the trifecta with Mosquito Spur running the race of her life to nearly grab 2nd!
    Race 11 Up and coming Barefoot Sally dominated with Anthony Butt aboard now finally putting together the ability she showed in her early races

Of course if you choose to not be "into" trotters and therfore dont know the background of the horses and fields or the form then yeah it can be like my wife who is not a trotting or pacing person to say, yeah whatever, brown horses running around a circle with a man in a chariot behind them!

However if you know the horses and know the form and appreciate times they run etc how can you not like what trotters do in comparison to pacers?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I don't think they did the trotters any favours by putting this program on the long weekend Ash.
    I have just started a db to track TAB betting pools at Melton and will update everyone when the sample gets big enough.
    I am only tracking Win, Place, Tri & Four.
    I did notice however that the biggest total for these four was 31k for the 3yo Gp1 on Saturday
    whereas the Gp1 Trotting Grand Prix on Feb 20 held 51k - like I said - I think long weekends may be betting downers

ps I am sure the French ate it up
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I don't think they did the trotters any favours by putting this program on the long weekend Ash.
    I have just started a db to track TAB betting pools at Melton and will update everyone when the sample gets big enough.
    I am only tracking Win, Place, Tri & Four.
    I did notice however that the biggest total for these four was 31k for the 3yo Gp1 on Saturday
    whereas the Gp1 Trotting Grand Prix on Feb 20 held 51k - like I said - I think long weekends may be betting downers

ps I am sure the French ate it up
    on track crowd was very small considering the GSS etc, quite disappointing, but as Harold/Bob said, could very well be an ID hangover
    Hopefully that night next year is not a long weekend, fingers crossed HRV have realised this

Real Name
    Bob Parker
    I'll travel far and wide for a feature Trotting meeting here or when I'm in NA.

I enjoy the odd Trot on a feature race night but definitely not every race. I think we saw on Saturday night that there just isn't the depth to warrant it.

The majority of races on Saturday night were mundane, the Great Southern Star, both eliminations and the final were a fizzer.

16 horses were basically nursed around Melton twice on Saturday night and those four races other than the GSS Final are not worthy of G1 Status.

This has got to be the most limited crop of Open Class Trotters in many years.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Neville Vaughan wins at Melton...a rejuvenated 9 yo with 155 starts.

The dam has left two full brothers with very similar records and earnings:

Jenola Bay 1986 (F N191 ) by Count Bay - Tq2:17.4 $1,440 [2]
    Neville Vaughan 2005 (G N191) by Britewell - T1:56.6 $258,632
    Uncle Petrika 1999 (G N191 ) by Britewell - T1:56.4US $258,024

+ Reply to Thread