Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Could G Hall harm WA racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    and you can see why HRNZ is number one harness site
    Easy to copy that table and put it onto Excel so that I can now report (much to my surprise)
    that the $2.88m the AllStars have won is less than 14% of the total NZ prizemoney so far this season

And the top 3 trainers have taken a bit less than 22% of total prizemoney
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Again only using NZ's top 10 so that comparisons can be made.
    Mark/Nat combo has 22.1% winners but there are some very good ones in those for the prizemoney percentage is 41.8%
    Top 3 trainers 65.4% prizemoney.
    Again as Kevin has warned, these figures are only top 10 totals not the total pool.
    Interesting the 22.1% winning strike rate of top 10 winners total.

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Hey Kevin now you have an Excel, try North Island vs South Island numbers

Senior Member Colt Chariots will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray Coote
    Hard to compare NZ with individual states.

A NZ/AUST comparison would throw up some different stats.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    Again only using NZ's top 10 so that comparisons can be made.
    Mark/Nat combo has 22.1% winners but there are some very good ones in those for the prizemoney percentage is 41.8%
    Top 3 trainers 65.4% prizemoney.
    Again as Kevin has warned, these figures are only top 10 totals not the total pool.
    Interesting the 22.1% winning strike rate of top 10 winners total.
    Bailey, I cannot really see any point in quoting Top 10 %'s when we do have the total pool %'s available as they are very misleading - 41.8% is really only 13.9% etc
    VERY funny about South and North
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Chariots View Post
    Hard to compare NZ with individual states.

A NZ/AUST comparison would throw up some different stats.
    I think I have them Ray - well close to
    For 2013-14 Aust Total stakes was $111,597,756
    The top earning trainer was G Hall snr with 3,138,183
    so that means he won 2.8% of Aust stakemoney

For 2013-14 NZ Total stakes was roughly 29,700,798 (I say roughly because this figure does not include any 4th down prizemoney)
    The top earning trainer was the Allstars with 3,070,286
    so that means they won somewhere around 10% of NZ stakemoney

After finding these figures I came to the conclusion that comparing NZ with Aust is NOT really a fair comparison as Aust is too big for G Hall to flit over to the Eastern states all the time
    a fairer comparison would be NZ to Vic or NSW who both have about the same Total Stakes as NZ
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    What is wrong with this picture/field?

With a couple of unexpected scratchings G Hall Snr could have 8/9 runners in the Village Kid, 6/9 seems absurd at this level
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Kevin, you are right about the absurdity of it. It does show the dominance of G. Hall Sr and most of those horses are pretty good and would go well in any stable. GS Bond follows a similar buying pattern but with his horses winning less metro races. Both of the trainers are from NZ and buy most, if not all of their horses from NZ and have owners who will pay good money hence they do dominate the WA racing scene. It looks obvious that it does affect other trainers who cannot get FFA horses like these. It has to be reducing the numbers of trainers in the West, although I cant support that with strong evidence. If you lessened the major impact these two trainers have then a more even playing field would eventuate but that will never happen. NM Johns a trotting trainer often has at least 50% of the field in WA country races but does not win that often because the quality is not there, so the number of entrants in a race can be misleading but with 75% of the field you would expect to win. Would this type of field happen in a $60,000 race in Victoria or NSW?, I think not

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    I'm a small punter so I am not influenced by wagering but I do like to see top quality horses race and have no interest in the also-rans. It's the top level of harness racing that drew me to the sport (for the want of a better word) in the first place. Harness racing in WA would be dead without Gary Hall Snr and his clients and to a much lesser extent Greg and Skye Bond. Crowds are drawn to the racetracks to see outstanding horses in the G1 events they don't come to see the M1/M2's etc and in WA G.Hall Snr provides these horses. I disagree with the perceived agenda of harness racing clubs to reduce the number of trainers to make racing more supportive of the big time professional trainers and this has been going on for some time now. Over the decades, it has been the small time trainers that have always come up with the individual outstanding horses. So maybe it's time for the professional trainers to stop bemoaning the likes of the Halls find some spending clients and start upgrading. As they say, if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

+ Reply to Thread