Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changes to on course arrival times at Menangle

Flashing Red

Changes to on course arrival times at Menangle

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=16190

Commencing Saturday 11 June, for a three month trial period, the arrival time for all runners for all meetings at Tabcorp Park Menangle, will be two hours prior to their engagement.
    Horses that are not on-course two hours prior to race time will be scratched by order of the Stewards.
    HRNSW will also select other meetings at other venues where horses will be required on-course at least two hours prior to their engagement.
    Sam Nati- HRNSW CEO

Excellent I say! Now all they need is to require all winners to have a 1.5 hour post race TC02 and it will become one of the fairest places to race anywhere. Good work Sam!

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Yes, Sam's doing a good job. If only he would now do a very small thing and get a timing system that actually shows the exact full mile rate as they pass the post , the same as most other tracks, instead of minutes after the race is run. It's a minor gripe but really needs to be fixed on Australia's premier track.

Lots of harness fans both on and off the track are quite annoyed about this.

triplev123
    This has been looming for a while I think Flashing and it's good to see them pull the trigger. I know for sure that the longer term plan is a D Barn for selected races at Menangle, especially so big $ Stakes events etc. I guess that will come on line with the on-course stabling etc. I could not be more in favour of it. Nice work from S. Nati & Co. Btw, the 1.5hrs Post Race TC02's...I agree, bring it on! As compared to the pre-race they're much harder to virtually impossible to beat.

Flashing Red
    That's one thing I am against, a detention barn. I do not think its fair for horses to be removed out of their home environment, especially getting ready for a stakes race. I know they have them in North America, but those horses are boxed for 23 hours a day, do a lot of interstate travelling etc its part of their life. Most down under horses live in walk in walk out yards, paddocks or are only stabled at night. I'm all for security guards etc instead. The 2 hours beforehand should slow a few up - but its the 1.5 hours afterwards that really gets them and stops the bicarbing practice completely!

triplev123
    I think we should avail ourselves of them all as appropriate Flashing. Pre race, Post race, D barn, Security, whatever.
    To be fair however, hand in hand with this step up in prevention activity should come a much more pragmatic approach to theraputic Medication applications.
    The fact that these days a trainer can still go for a row for the presence of Bute metabolites at least 5 days after administration and a staggering 4 & 1/2 days after the drug has become pharmacologically inactive...is a prehistoric way of doing things to say the least.

Flashing Red
    I agree, but unless those who make the decisions actually visit outside our own racing jurisdiction (say to North America or Europe) then I can't see that happening. They are too set in their ways and not willing to inform themselves of other alternatives or reason!! Plus its not them who loose their livelihood for an infraction!
    It's funny, Australia is so anti-drugs yet these so called "drug happy" countries have far better testing procedures than ours. Go figure!

triplev123
    Indeed. It appears to me that Industry participants speak openly about, that they think about and by and large they tend to know significantly more about the subject (esp. those who have experienced other more pragmatic racing jurisdictions) than the vast majority of those who are charged with administering the currently applicable rules & regulations.
    What gets to me more than anything is the very aspect the gambling side of the Industry craves above all else...i.e. consistent performance...is that which the currently prehistoric outlook & actions of the regulatory side of the Industry in this area have basically served to discourage if not outright prevent.
    I think this subject must somehow be placed upon the National agenda here in Australia. We need it to be openly and honestly discussed, there must be dialogue, there must be a debate. The head in the sand routine has gone on for far, far too long.

Flashing Red
    I agree, and also for people such as ourselves that do not agree with the strict drug free policy in it entirety to not be branded "drug happy" or supporting drug cheats ourselves! I am very accommodating personally towards anyone who supports drug free racing - indeed everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but sadly I am not normally shown the same courtesy myself despite having first hand experience in other racing jurisdictions to see "both sides of the coin". That is what I think is wrong with administration - they do not know the other side of the coin, they do not directly rely on their horses for their income and they refuse to entertain any other possibilities when all people like myself is asking for is just to be heard. They also refuse to acknowledge scientific evidence they shows just how unjust Southern Hemisphere racing can be in regards to medications. At least in the Northern Hemisphere they recognise when drugs become pharmacologically inactive and adjust/remove penalties accordingly...

+ Reply to Thread