Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leading Trainer Dominance - State by State

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Leading Trainer Dominance - State by State

HRA have been kind enough to give me the full Trainers chronicle/premiership table (up to this week) in Excel format so I have been able to sort them however I like and following on from the thread about whether G.Hall could be harmful for WA harness I have begun by analysing trainer dominance state by state. This can nearly be achieved just by looking at the HRA link at the bottom of the page but having all trainers in Excel format allowed me calculate Total stakemoney for each state and thereby percentages
    Sometimes some of a trainers Stakes winnings are going to have come from interstate but these figures would be very close to the mark

The following is what % of total stakemoney each states Top 3 trainers have taken so far for this season:

VIC = 15% of $20M+

NSW = 17.5% of $21M+

WA = 26.5% of $17M

QLD = 27% of $10M+

SA = 13% of $3M+

TAS = 15.5% of $3M+

So the Top 3 are most dominant in QLD and WA

If you are interested, the following link will tell you who the top 10 are not just the top 3 for each state.
    I have used the Leading State Trainer tables (not just Metro) and chosen the top 3 from each state according to Stakes not Wins

http://www.harness.org.au/content.cfm?id=60

If you have any Questions or sorts you would like me to do with the Excel format just ask. Cheers
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    Thanks for taking the time to do this Kevin...these sorts of stats are always very interesting

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I realize that not all trainers are relying on harness to make a living but many are. I figure that nearly 9 mths into the season, a trainer would need to have charged his clients $100k+ to have been making a decent living, when you consider all the costs such as feed, petrol, staff etc that he has to pay from that. Now to justify those fees he has to have won pretty close to that amount in stakes. The following is a list of how many trainers have won $100k+ in stakes to mid May:

VIC 39 plus 7 in the 90's
    NSW 39 plus 6 in the 90's
    QLD 24 and none in the 90's
    WA 33 and 2 in the 90's
    SA 6 and 3 in the 90's
    TAS 10 and none in the 90's

I know their season has been running a month longer but I cannot help but think that they are doing something right in NZ for even though their industry is only around the equivalent of Victoria as far as stakes go and despite the Purdon/Rasmussen domination:

NZ 49 and 6 in the 90's

So far their trainers have earnt about $24M while Vic stands at around $20.4M. It would be interesting to know if NZ's figures include overseas earnings as their raiders have taken home $2.3M from Aus (and we musn't forget their season has been running an extra month which is worth about 10%)

I wonder whether their training numbers have whittled down to a more viable number as their premiership table only contains 498 trainers while Victoria's contains 810. Less taking a piece of the pie has to result in more getting a good helping
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Following on from the Gary Hall thread

When it comes to Metro only dominance

Gary Hall has won 2M of 7.3M (WA) or 27%

Belinda McCarthy has won 1M of 6.7M (NSW) or 15.3%

Emma Stewart has won 1.1M of 6.7M (VIC) or 16.4%

(these figures are now a week old)