Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    I look at the current 3yo fillies crop from the National come across the Tasman perspective and IMO it is VERY strong. State by State wise, maybe not so much. On a related note, the yet to be tested on the National stage but nonetheless aspiring killer is that wicked fast Yankee Sensation 2yo filly in WA, Sensational Gabby. She's got really effortless high speed and looks like a monster 5 for 5, 1:56 & a piece and 30k+ but it's pretty hard to get a line on the overall quality of her opposition.
    Overall, the current crop depth of 3yo fillies across Aust/NZ is as good as I can ever remember...

triplev123
    Geeze....if I didn't see it with my own eyes. Wagga, NSW is The Meadows Pa. of the Southern Hemiphere. It's a God damned favourite's graveyard.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Talking about Wagga Vertigal got beat today in a slow M.R of 2:05.1

aussiebreno
    G'day Breno,

You might want to go back and watch the replay of that one. Pay particular attention to the drive of one A.G. Bucca aboard Rainbow Dasher. Also, the Kingston Town moment in the call from around the 400m where the bloke on the microphone notes the 1st three and then declares that "no one else can win..." and the eventual winner comes from 4 lengths off them and 6th. Love the early Crow.
    In fairness to Alan Hull he didnt know Arterial Way was racing without a right rein that night! Bucca forgot the winning post is at the end of the home straight; not the start didn't he? I think thats right; but it was a long and bloody cold night that night.

aussiebreno
    I look at the current 3yo fillies crop from the National come across the Tasman perspective and IMO it is VERY strong. State by State wise, maybe not so much. On a related note, the yet to be tested on the National stage but nonetheless aspiring killer is that wicked fast Yankee Sensation 2yo filly in WA, Sensational Gabby. She's got really effortless high speed and looks like a monster 5 for 5, 1:56 & a piece and 30k+ but it's pretty hard to get a line on the overall quality of her opposition.
    Yeah agree nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    Overall, the current crop depth of 3yo fillies across Aust/NZ is as good as I can ever remember...
    Ive said it before and Ill say it again; nothing can beat the Oaxica Lass year for mine. The 1998 foals. It was sensational imo.

Geeze....if I didn't see it with my own eyes. Wagga, NSW is The Meadows Pa. of the Southern Hemiphere. It's a God damned favourite's graveyard.
    Vertigal had never run that in her life, she is used to running 1 lap not 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    Talking about Wagga Vertigal got beat today in a slow M.R of 2:05.1
    Vertigal is very hot and cold isnt she. Excellent third in the NSW Oaks; but then runs like that.

triplev123
    G'day Breno,
    Slow early sectionals, track size and her own racing style have conspired to beat her.
    I don't think she's at her very best...she's not seen at the peak of her powers...on small tracks and this especially so with a muddling pace on.
    I think she's a big track horse and I say that's because of the way that she will just keep on coming at the end of her races.
    On a small track with a short stretch you'll find that pretty much by the time she gets wound up and is really rolling all of a sudden the winning post is there. That happened today, inside of the last 20-30m she had just got to top gear but it was just a fraction too late. Another 20-30m or so and she wins it pretty comfortably. Run that same race on Menangle & she draws off by 10-15.

aussiebreno
    Yes the form line just doesnt stack up (stating obvious). One direct line is Arterial Way would have Sign of Sally at Wagga; then beat Sign on Sally despite doing all the work at Young (maybe Sign of Sally done some work as well or was unlucky I forget) and then Vertigal toyed with Arterial Way a fortnight ago.
    I think you must be correct in what you are saying about Vertigal.

triplev123
    G'day Breno,
    There's no real insight on my part, just rather painful experiences from years gone by.
    We had (unfortunately she died) a lovely mare a few years ago now & she was as strong as an Ox...could go to the front or face the breeze...she loved to stare other horses down from out there... and she could pace 1:57s-1:58s 1:59's all day long for a mile & a 1/4 to a mile & a 1/2....but on the smaller tracks if she was driven in such a way that she sat back off them & tried to come home over the top with one sweep, unless they had gone absolutely beserk on the lead she could get herself beaten in 2:04 & look ordinary doing it.
    We ultimately found that the bigger the tracks she raced on, the deeper in grade she got and the more up-tempo her races tended to become as a result, the better she raced.
    It used to look a touch spotty at times because of bad draws in races run at a muddling tempo on half mile tracks but put her on a big track with the better ones and she came into her own.

Flashing Red
    Rainbow Dasher is being sent up to Qld for the Oaks. And for a bit of trivia - Mrs Bucca was one of my high school teachers! Small world!

Member Filly DAZZA will become famous soon enough DAZZA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michael Johnson
    Since the day I seen Joyous Times get close toi Courageous Annie Ive had my doubts on here over 2100, (much like Lanercost) but I think she will run it out, however would be better served running along, even 30's. I think we may see darrel drive her more that way during the carnival. Not too up to speed on the interstate horses. Love Forever Gold, gives 110% but apparently shes had a few setbacks. Sat 3 wide solo with Caesars Folly on her back tho and beat a crack field. If shes right I'll be gunning for her.

+ Reply to Thread