Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Game gradually dying in the Hunter Valley

Junior Member Foal Shane tritton will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Shane Tritton
    Is anyone worried what would happen to a Newcastle meeting if the current metro trainers don't attend , take away myself, M Formosa , Darren elder , M Callahan who all regularly race at Menangle metro . Then remove K turner , K Pizzuto , fitzpatricks , and any other Sydney based trainer who brings horses to Newcastle regularly ... It's one thing to say Saturday nights will be better which I'm sure they would be . But if they continue to clash with metro then will the club have enough horses to run their meetings ... Am I the only one that thinks this is a problem ???

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane tritton View Post
    Is anyone worried what would happen to a Newcastle meeting if the current metro trainers don't attend , take away myself, M Formosa , Darren elder , M Callahan who all regularly race at Menangle metro . Then remove K turner , K Pizzuto , fitzpatricks , and any other Sydney based trainer who brings horses to Newcastle regularly ... It's one thing to say Saturday nights will be better which I'm sure they would be . But if they continue to clash with metro then will the club have enough horses to run their meetings ... Am I the only one that thinks this is a problem ???
    On my phone and watching origin so can't link but I spot checked about 8 meetings circa 2010/2011. No Turner, one Fitzpatrick $1.20 shot (admittedly this is low for them), no Pizzutto (maybe rubbed out at that stage?). No Callahan. Formosa, Elder about 5 between them each meeting and you had max 5 each meeting (think Photograph, Red River View) but about 1 winner on average - sometimes none sometimea two. So the trainers are there somewhere be ause they were there in 2010 they just don't have the horses at the moment - so I think without those bigger trainers you name Newcastle would still be okay because those trainers making up the fields in 2010 would be back on deck (except Pike and Butterfield who had a few runners between them)

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane tritton View Post

To answer your question Shane, I'd say very few people see that as a problem, indeed some would see it as a good thing, I'm sure the Newcastle club sees it as a good thing, they have been lobbying to get Saturday nights back since they lost them, as I mentioned in an earlier post the club was very successful with Saturday night racing for decades, there continues to be a strong base of horses in work in the Hunter despite the fact some people are walking away from the game for a number of reasons including those that have been mentioned on this thread.

Personally, I like to see things happen that are good for the game....but some people are pretty much focussed on what's good for themselves aren't they?

Real Name
    Shane Tritton
    If this isn't a problem why are we struggling for numbers now without losing any of these horses ... Yes when we have 1 meeting a week we get by .. But newcastle have 2 meetings a week for a majority of the sat night clashes.. Currently when we have 2 meetings a week we have 6-8 races and only have 6-7 starting in a few of the races .. Are you really that convinced that these numbers are not going to drop ??

Everyone is comparing newcastle succes to years gone past .. But these times didn't clash with the metro meeting in our state ... This does not only affect me it affects anyone in this area who manages to get a metro quality horse .. Or any driver who wishes to progress to metro level ... ???? There is no way the horse pool
    Outside my stable is anywhere near the same as it used to be ... Just look at the 2yos and 3yos .. They struggle for numbers even now at the busiest time of year for these age groups ... thoughta

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    The last time Newcastle raced on a Saturday when Menangle was also racing was in April this year, we had eight races and full fields in all of them, fields have been smaller recently not just in our area but also across the State, we have always had less horses in work at this time of the year, its a seasonal thing that's all.

I'm absolutely certain we will more see people coming to race at Newcastle on Saturday nights because of the work factor, as everyone knows despite the high numbers of horses in work with full timers such as yourself and Mick, there are a lot more that are prepared by hobbyists who find it harder to get to the track during the week, particularly when meetings are commencing at 4 and 5 o'clock.

Many will also see that when the bigger stables are at Menangle, there will be better opportunities at Newcastle for the lesser lights of the game.

So in my opinion, we will quite likely see stronger numbers of nominations at Newcastle on a Saturday night. Which of course is good for the game as a whole, as I said earlier, what's good for the game is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Some people just can't see past their own situation can they?
    Last edited by Danno; 06-18-2015 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

Real Name
    Shane Tritton
    You keep saying that like I am not hearing you ... You started this post to say how dominate stables are killing the racing in this area ... I am trying to say without being obvious that if newcastle choose to race against Menangle .. I will be forced to either race none at Newcastle or all of them at Newcastle .. If I am made choose between Menangle and newcastle .. I will choose newcastle so if I turn up to newcastle with 30 horses ..will that help racing ?? .. Since U started this threat ... I don't want this to happen but I will have no other choice .. My owners want me racing their horses .. So I would rather support my home club then have none at my home club ..I guess this is the direction we need to go .. This is not my decision but it's the decision that is being forced on me .. So myself , mick , Darren , mark will rather than spilt our team race them at Newcastle every week ... Guess making the racing at Newcastle even more lope sided is better for the club ... And turnover ..

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    But what will you do with your Metro class horses Shane? Or am I missing something here ie Wont the clash be with the Menangle Metro night?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Shane Tritton
    Race them at newcastle .. If there are 8 fact class horses then they will be forced to stand it up ... Regardless of how many are mine .. What's the alternative .. Hire a transport and new staff to take them to Menangle ... Newcastle is only 25mins away racing them all in the one night at newcastle is the only feasible way to race them all .. Without charging the owner a mint .. And regardless .. Why should the owners be forced to send horses away from where their trainer or driver is attending .. I WILL NOT BE FORCED TO RELOCATE TO MENANGLE .. This is my home ..

Real Name
    Shane Tritton
    So I would imagine myself , mick , Darren mark and who ever else manages to get a metro class horse will be forced to race it at Newcastle ... Will only make the racing at Newcastle harder I suspect

Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Horses
    No Stars
    Shane, I'm certain you will place your horses to their individual best advantage...that is a big part of your job, you have owners that will demand their horses are placed where the owner(s) maximise the returns. I'm saying that Saturday racing will be good for the club and what makes the club stronger makes us all stronger. And yes I keep repeating myself because I keep seeing the same thing. There are people running around trying to undo Newcastle racing Saturdays, they must think the whole game revolves around themselves hey?
    Last edited by Danno; 06-18-2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread